A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

10 years of National Do Not Call: Looking back and ahead...

»business.ftc.gov/blog/2013/06/10···ng-ahead from »www.networkworld.com/community/b···turns-10 from »www.bluesnews.com/s/142953/satur···ty-dance ...

Is it working for you? :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

On the whole, I'd say it has been a success. In its early years, the call-count went from a-helluva-lot to none.

There are signs its getting leaky now though: we now get one or two calls from telemarketing roboscum. At least, I assume they are, since I never pick up unidentified calls until someone speaks, and they never do.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

i still get lots of solicitations on the phone.. i wish i knew how to file complaints about them, to try to put a stop to them..

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

I get so many phone calls from telemarketers that I have stopped answering the phone.

Can't turn them in because they won't give out their company name or phone number.

Don't blame them.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to antdude

Filing a complaint: »www.donotcall.gov/

I think the DNC can be improved if they didn't bow down to politics and religious groups. I also think they could shorten the time you do business with someone.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to antdude

Has worked well for us - very well.

spyknee

join:2007-11-30
Woodside, NY

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Applied to do not call, its useless.
I cannot pick up my phone without it being a telemarketer on other end. I tell them to stop calling, they refuse to stop.
My phone machine message is directed at telemarketers, they still call.
This is a direct result of unchecked, unregulated capitalism, a cancer.
My home mailbox has same issue. Inundated with unsolicited crap that I am powerless to stop.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA
reply to antdude

The DNC worked well for many years. Junk calls to my land line went from 12 a day to zero until the telemarketers started using VOIP. Once they were able to spoof their phone numbers, it became impossible to report them and call volume has increased to nearly pre-DNC levels.

BTW, does anybody know the reason that most of these calls seem to have nobody on the line when answered and never leave a message. I no longer answer my land line and use the features of my VOIP to block as many of the numbers as possible.
--
Panic is the new patriotism

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to antdude

I don't know exactly why but I receive very few unsolicited calls; maybe one a month at the most.

Yes I am registered with the Government's "Do Not Call" list with both my Cell Phone and Home Phone. Is this the answer??? I don't know for sure but I assume that it does help.

I don't publish my phone numbers when asked to do so in the fill in the blank forms ask unless it is absolutely required but there again I can't say that is an answer either.

All I can say is so far is for over 45 years that I have had a phone I have never had an issue with unsolicited calls and for that I am very thankful!!!

Zach

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
reply to antdude

I believe that it used to be effective for several years after it began, but now it seems that the telemarketers pretty much ignore it and do what they want. My folks get anywhere from 6-12 bad calls a day, and they are on the list and update it annually. So I'd say, nowadays, it's broken.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Rocky67

said by Rocky67:

BTW, does anybody know the reason that most of these calls seem to have nobody on the line when answered and never leave a message.

No one is really on the line until a person says "hello" then it connects you to the telemarketer.. I used to play with that all the time.. pick up the phone and just yelled in it and you could hear it switch over.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

whatevrzclvr

join:2005-11-16
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
reply to Rocky67

I worked as a bill collector on one of these awful dialer systems. If a message was left, there was a certain timeframe before we could call back... if the system detected an answering machine it would just disconnected the line as it was legal to call back as soon as that job was run again - usually 1-2 hours later. (Somehow, one is considered harassment, the other is not?)

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to antdude

In short, does it work...Hell, No!!! It used to, but now it's almost as if I never registered every number I could at all. Sometimes, we get 2 or 3 of the same robo-calls, and since we do not have caller ID, I have to answer as it may be something important. I still deliver my, take me off your calling list, regime, for all the good it does. I say it even to the empty phone on the other end, just for good measure. Does it work? OMG, No, No, No!!!

»www.callercenter.com/articles/ro···ise.html

»www.techdirt.com/articles/201211···rs.shtml
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 edit
reply to antdude

Over my 50+ years - no real problem with junk calls either before the DNCL or after. Non-pub numbers and only a throw away GV# is given out to the public.

On the published business lines, calls have increased substantially over the last decade.
--
Zach

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to jadinolf

Im sorry your getting so many........ We also get many!!!!

I told my mom/dad IT DOESNT MATTER SIGNING THAT DONOTCALL list..... ITS STUPID TO DO SO!!!!!!! (They just target those on the list more)

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Dude111:

They just target those on the list more

Yeah, because the absolute best telemarketing targets are those people who have already declared that they don't want to talk to you.

The reason people on the list get called is because it's autodiallers doing the calling, and they just dial every number in turn.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to zach3

Re: 10 years of National Do Not Call: Looking back and ahead...

I think that the fact that you don't publish your phone numbers has played a major role in keeping your unsolicited calls down. I'm on the list, but I do sign petitions on line and I don't have an unlisted number, so I expect to get lots of calls. I rely on callerID and just don't answer any calls I don't recognize. They can leave a message if they care. Of course, even if you use a cheap answering machine, you still have to pay the phone company for CallerID most places, assuming it isn't bundled with other features that you pay for.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Rocky67

said by Rocky67:

BTW, does anybody know the reason that most of these calls seem to have nobody on the line when answered and never leave a message.

That's almost always a result of a predictive dialer & a sweatshop call center.
Ideally there's a sync between how many calls go out & how many operators are available to 'answer' the successful calls.
A responsible call center (oxymoron noted) will program the dialer to not exceed their reasonable ability to place a live operator on the line.
Unscrupulous call centers will far exceed any industry norms on outgoing calls vs available operators because it doesn't matter to them if they create a silent line situation where a 'legit' call center needs to track the percentage of silent calls for Gov't compliance record keeping plus must wait a day to call back, things the unscrupulous call center doesn't worry about.

If you should ever want to see what the call is about, let it ring a bit which will increase the chance of being answered.

The operators/CS reps at these sweatshop call centers work non-stop, there are always calls lined up in queue waiting to be answered.
That's the reason why the call center over dials in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The DNCL worked but it wasn't as effective as cutting the cord to my home land line.
Alleluia, Alleuia Brothers & Sisters!
For as much fear, uncertainly & doubt as I had in doing that it has proved to set me free.

The self serving built in points of failure with the DNCL were the catalyst for the cutting the line, I only wish I had done it sooner.
"The National Do Not Call Registry does not limit calls by political organizations, charities, or telephone surveyors."

flibby3655
Bully Spotter
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Didn't read any of the replies.

With that said, Hell no, in the last 6 or so months, my wife and I dread answering the land line.

99.5% Telemarketers. When we state the the obvious, they get very indignant, then hang up.

NDNCL is BS..

You all remember the government passed a law to lower the volume of commercials on television? Well that didn't happen.
--
"...and diciplinary remains, merciful "Yes, yes. Now with you Derek, this star nonsense..."

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to antdude

Yes, it works for me. I never did get many telemarketing calls before the National Do Not Call List was implemented and since that time I never get any. But then I have had an unlisted, unpublished landline number for close to 40 years.

My gripe has been with a legitimate business that I get medications from in Canada. They call every day at the same time to remind about refills. I didn't know who was calling (at 1:40PM) as I would answer and there would be dead air. I would never say "Hello" except once and evidently that was not enough to trigger the message reminder recording about needing a refill soon. I would hang up after dead air for 15-20 seconds. Consequently, rinse and repeat day after day. Finally, one day I said something further after my first hello and the dead air and that triggered the message. I don't have caller ID. My landline phone is old (and irreplaceable because so many phones cannot be sold or mailed to Hawaii) so coupling that with the cost of caller ID and a separate caller ID device attached to the phone so I can't move it about ....I forgo Caller ID so I had no idea the origin of this daily call.

Of course, after I finally said something beyond my first hello that triggered the automated message, I called the pharmacy's 800 number and requested that they not call me with reminders about refills (this is a life saving medication so I am very unlikely to forget to order refills at the proper time). So, for about 3 months I didn't get those calls. They then started again and I had to call again to get taken off the refill reminder calls. That has been irritating enough. I would be screaming mad if I was getting a bunch of telemarketing spam calls (at least what I was getting was legit (lots of people want reminder calls). I just didn't know that I needed to say something beyond the first hello to trigger the automated message as then they would have stopped for a least awhile because their records would show that someone listened to the reminder call and those calls would cease (without my needing to call the pharmacy to ask for no reminder calls) for awhile.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·T-Mobile US
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to antdude

It has been a partial success. In the last two years before introduction of DNC the spam call volume increased to a level that i simply had to put the phone on silent and just check the voice mail. Recently, it is getting worse again, especially with the spoofed numbers and a set up where you do not get enough information for a complaint. I think that only drastic approach, including mandatory jail time for violators could really fix this problem.( yes i know that some of them operate from outside of the US but somebody in the US is paying them. )

Dontcall

@mycingular.net
reply to rcdailey

Strongly agree with non-published number helping with spam calls. Won't do much to prevent robo-dialers though. CID and voice mail work great to screen out the crap.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to antdude

As many others pointed out, it has worked for me for the first few years since it's been enacted, but for the past 3 years or so the amount of telemarketing calls have been gradually increasing, almost to the point where it's out of control.

If anything, DNC does separate legitimate telemarketers from low-life scumbag con artists. The former tend to respect it since ultimately they have to identify the name of the company whose stuff they are selling, and once they do they can be reported and/or fined. Since all my numbers are on DNC, whenever I get a telemarketing call I am 100% sure that it is the later on the other end of the line and therefore do not feel bad about hanging up on them, calling them names or otherwise telling them off in a nasty and/or obnoxious manner.

On almost all the occasions I catch them right on the spot. As soon as they are done with their pitch, I tell them that I am interested but ask them for the name of their company and their contact info: address, phone, e-mail, website, etc. so that I can "check them out" before I do business with them. Most of the time, this results in immediate hang-up, which immediately reaffirms that they are con artists, a legitimate business would have no problem telling you more about themselves. These calls are usually coupled with fact that the number is either private, unavailable, some nonsense like (111) 111-1111 or if it does look valid, it's likely spoofed. Sadly, you either can't report this or if you do, FTC can't really accurately track them.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill.
If the opposite of pro is con, then the opposite of progress is Congress.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to antdude

I've been on the Canadian DNCL since it's inception - works great for me.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

said by siljaline:

I've been on the Canadian DNCL since it's inception - works great for me.

Yeah because you folks are civilized.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to antdude

Interesting testimonials - have been on the DNC since the begining and it has worked as intended. I do not get those calls but do note that political robo-calls have increased a great deal.

To those who are getting the calls again:

1. Did you change your number(s)?
2. Could some of those calls be coming from companies you owe money or are past due on a bill or three?
3. Given a no in #2, have you done business in the interim with any of the compaines that you are getting cold calls from? If yes, once you do business you loose the protection of the DNC...
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to redwolfe_98

The only solicitations I get any more is the credit card services company (Ann it think). I did for a long while diligently file a complaint on every call but it hasn't had any effect and have since stopped.

I might add those calls are to my cell phone, no land land anymore, not for a long long time.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Rocky67

said by Rocky67:

The DNC worked well for many years. Junk calls to my land line went from 12 a day to zero until the telemarketers started using VOIP. Once they were able to spoof their phone numbers, it became impossible to report them and call volume has increased to nearly pre-DNC levels.

That pretty much matches my experience with the DNC and telemarketers. Ditto for the comments regarding silent hang-ups.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

I get so many robo calls I finally caved and spent $150 on an Ooma gizmo
Paid another $100 for a year of Premier service which allowed me to port my number to the gizmo and get a second line

I have my 'real' number set to tell callers my second line number and the built in log captures the numbers of all calls
I go to the log from time to time and identify the 'bad' numbers and set them to blacklist

Once I have most of the bad numbers blacklisted I will change settings to allow calls to go straight thru, after they have been filtered by the blacklist

Ooma also has a community blacklist that users add to so everyone helps each other filter the ass*oles

My phone bill went from $56/month to $3/month for first yr and $13 after with the Premier service
Highly recommend Ooma

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

said by jadinolf:

Yeah because you folks are civilized.

It does not stop much for me in Canada and it's only the land line.

TH