how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FiosGmr

join:2008-11-09
Tyngsboro, MA

[Northeast] New MI424WR GigE Rev I doesn't recognize my DLink Sw

I went to hook up my new FiOS MI424WR Rev1 GigE Wireless N Router that I bought from Verizon. My current one MI424WR Rev E has a cat 5 cable that runs from the second floor down to the first floor to a Dlnk 8 port switch and hooks up 2 PC's. They have internet access. After hooking up the new MI424WR Rev1 GigE Wireless N Router, same way as the MI424WR Rev1 GigE, it didn't recognize the ethernet cable that's connected to the switch. After spending 2 hours with both Verizon and Actiontec, Actiontec blamed the swtich. After telling the Actiontec it's not the switch because it works fine with the MI424WR Rev E he hung up! Any one have any thoughts why the MI424WR Rev1 GigE doesn't recognize the swtich?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32

Re: [Northeast] New MI424WR GigE Rev I doesn't recognize my DLin

Bad cable? Since you didn't specify the D-Link model, I assuming it's 10/100/1000 capable. The rev. E is 10/100 and only requires 2 pair. The rev. I is Gig-E and requires all 4 pair. If the 3rd or 4th pair is bad, the cable will work at 100Mbps, but not 1Gbps.

The router and switch "should" auto-negotiate down to 100Mbps, but I've seen that not work. Try going into the rev. I and setting that specific LAN port explicitly to 100Mbps rather than auto-detect.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

FiosGmr

Tyngsboro, MA
The DLink Swtich Model is a DGS-2208 gigabit swtich. You mentioned the following "The rev. I is Gig-E and requires all 4 pair. If the 3rd or 4th pair is bad, the cable will work at 100Mbps, but not 1Gbps." I guess I would need to get a cable tester and check the cable and each end of the network jacks. Thanks!

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Gigabit Ethernet requires all 4 pairs of the cable to be properly terminated and working (not open, shorted, etc).

FiosGmr

Tyngsboro, MA
Thank you all! Sure enough it was a bad cable. Bought a cable tetster from Home Depot. Only had 3 pair working. Upgrading to Cat6 today. Thanks again!