Search similar:

uniqs

eltito
@d-infinitum.com.mx

eltito

Anon

[Windows] Fastest way to switch connection when DSL disconnects

Hi.

I have a unstable DSL connection and a wireless internet USB stick to use as backup. My problem is that the time it takes since I notice the DSL is gone, until I connect the stick and windows reconnects is very high.

Whats the best option to minimize the time my computer is without internet?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

Re: [Windows] Fastest way to switch connection when DSL disconne

A dual-wan router that can use a USB wireless device for alternate connectivity would probably be your best bet.

eltito
@d-infinitum.com.mx

eltito

Anon

Hi passer, thx for your answer.

Do you know how many seconds one of those dual-wan router need to switch connection?

Can you recommend one concrete model/brand?

Regards
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to eltito

MVM

to eltito
said by eltito :

Do you know how many seconds one of those dual-wan router need to switch connection?

Depending on make / model, anywhere from seconds to a user-defined value.
said by eltito :

Can you recommend one concrete model/brand?

Depends on your budget, requirements, and level of technical expertise. Try this particular forum's FAQ for "dual wan."
There was a list that had an updated list for 2013 added earlier this year.

Regards

eltito
@d-infinitum.com.mx

eltito

Anon

When you say seconds you mean 2-3 or mean 20-30?

Budget is not a problem. If it solves my problem and is under ¿1000$? is ok.
Requirements, switching between main (DSL) and backup (USB Stick) connections in less than 5-8 seconds. I´m not interested in any other feature.
Technical expertise, I´m computer engineer but I have to admit networking is not my specialty.

I´ll do some research on my own of the list in the FAQ you mentioned, but any expert opinion is well received.

Regards.

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC

RWild to defiant

Premium Member

to defiant
said by defiant:

A dual-wan router that can use a USB wireless device for alternate connectivity would probably be your best bet.

I've never seen (and am unable to Google) such a device. Can you provide a link? I would be interested in one myself.

As far as the OP's question about how fast fail-over would occur - this is user-configurable on my old Zywall 35. Believe the fastest setting to initiate fail-over is 5 seconds. In my case the backup is a DSL line so the modem has to dial and connection which usually requires another couple of seconds.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

By popular request
»www.cradlepoint.com/prod ··· g-router
defiant

defiant to RWild

to RWild
A more robust version from the same vendor:
»www.cradlepoint.com/prod ··· d-router

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium Member
Cary, NC

RWild

Premium Member

Well, I'll be damned but there it is.

Odd that the LAN ports are 10/100 only but looks like you can have up to two RJ45 WAN ports (cable or DSL modems) plus at least one wireless WAN connection (ExpressCard or USB) - all with fail-over or load balancing. Seems awfully inexpensive for about $250 plus the cost of a ExpressCard or USB wireless modem.

Will check it out in more detail. Thanks for the link.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

I'm not sure about the USB option but if your using a small hotspot that offers Ethernet as well as wireless connections here is a link to the DD-WRT WIKI's that show how to turn a router running DD-WRT firmware into a Dual WAN box.

Take the link and scroll down to the advanced tutorials section and give the three Dual WAN tutorials a read.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· utorials
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to RWild

Premium Member

to RWild
i have a handful of these on site and it has the option for a standard internet connection and/or USB internet for failover.

i am currently using them only with USB modems from Verizon.

»shop.proxicast.com/shopp ··· id=29905

- Automatic Fail-Over Between 3G/4G Cellular & Ethernet WAN or Wi-Fi
tomdlgns

tomdlgns to RWild

Premium Member

to RWild
the one i posted is gigabit, but it isn't cheap.

- 4 Port 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN Switch + (1) 10/100/1000 Ethernet WAN Port

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium Member
Cary, NC

RWild

Premium Member

Did you mean to post this one?

»www.cradlepoint.com/prod ··· ed-3g-4g
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

if you are asking me, no, i did not. i posted the link i wanted to post.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to eltito

MVM

to eltito
said by eltito :

When you say seconds you mean 2-3 or mean 20-30?

It can vary. Obviously the cheap(er) stuff can take a bit to detect a link failure. (Alot) higher
end stuff can do this in miliseconds -- it just depends on your needs and budget.

Otherwise, think there's good options to choose from in terms of suggestions... and should be within your budget

Regards

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to eltito

MVM

to eltito
When it comes to the USB Option....

I have an RT-N66U ASUS Router. In that, there is an option to turn on USB 3G/4G access.

»support.asus.com/FAQ/det ··· E09AEBDF

I have been using this as a backup for my router and it works flawlessly. It may work with yours if you just leave it plugged in and just tick the box to turn it on.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to eltito

Premium Member

to eltito
Its becoming a popular functionality for sure.
I used a cradlepoint for travelling (but they seem to be getting out of that side and going more mainstream) but was happy with their performance
Just ensure that your brand of 3G or 4G or LTE etc is compatible with the unit and or 3rd party software you decide upon.

I am familiar with Zyxel USG routers USG20 to USG2000 and they have USB ports that can be used for wan failover or primary. They as far as I know are not setup for 4G. They have compatible 3G cards (mostly huawei and some sierra).