spc
Search similar:

uniqs

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

Over 100 Degrees All Week Long

Fahrenheit, of course. Northern California will be roasting all week. This is one of my least favorite things about Valley living; The Heat. Makes me day dream about the coast. *sigh* One positive thing does come from all of this heat. Skimpy clothing. Yes, men are pigs, especially in the heat. Sad, but true.

How are you guys and gals holding up when it gets this hot?
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

I have been working in downtown San Francisco since Jan 1, so a jacket goes with me at all times. I did not need it on Thursday and Friday after 9:30 AM though.
It hit 103+ yesterday here in Fairfield, and I just had the AC serviced/recharged two weeks ago so the house is comfortable inside.
I will try mowing the lawns today at dusk if it drops to 80 or so, we usually get the wind headed from the Bay toward Sacramento so the heat is usually relieved at night.
I am not looking forward to a BART employee strike combined with the heat, I have to drive in.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to shinjuru

Mod

to shinjuru
My brain has melted away.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to shinjuru

Numquam oblita

to shinjuru
Trade ya

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to shinjuru

MVM

to shinjuru
»www.google.org/publicale ··· urce=web

Not holding up very well in this nonsensical temperature. Prior to all of this we had 2-3 days of bizarre humidity combined ~83F temps or so -- I guess that's how folks in the south and Florida feel. It makes me miss my Oregon weather: 60-something temps + overcast.

I was discussing with some friends of mine out of state how stupid it is that so many apartments in Silicon Valley do not have air conditioning. I realise it doesn't get this hot, usually, but it still gets into the mid-80s and 90s during the summer, every year, so what's up with that? This place is so disconnected from reality at times... :/

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Veloslave to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
Just got the kids agreed to stay at the house... heading up to the Russian River/Cassini Ranch some time soon... right off the coast... cool ocean breezes, Shady RV site with a river view, a store that sells Three Twins Ice Cream a few minutes away, electricity is supplied and the 5th wheel has AC... and a good supply of limes, ice, tonic water and gin.

Life is so darn good and I need to remember that better.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
"I walk around in the summertime saying HOW ABOUT THIS HEAT!"
bigboy
join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA

bigboy to koitsu

to koitsu
said by koitsu:

It makes me miss my Oregon weather: 60-something temps + overcast.

Portland forecasted high today: 90

»www.weather.com/weather/ ··· 275:1:US

koitsu
MVM
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by bigboy:

said by koitsu:

It makes me miss my Oregon weather: 60-something temps + overcast.

Portland forecasted high today: 90

»www.weather.com/weather/ ··· 275:1:US

*cries*
koitsu

koitsu to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

"I walk around in the summertime saying HOW ABOUT THIS HEAT!"

You just made me RL LOL, followed by "What a DICK!" Hahahaha.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
You guys are a bunch of wusses. I have a house that has NO air conditioner. The damn thing broke down 4 years ago until I can afford to get it replaced. How's that for living.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by Boricua:

The damn thing broke down 4 years ago

Have you thought about fixing it ? Some of the more common problems with AC units can be fixed by anyone comfortable with wielding a screwdriver

Of course DIY doesn't apply to coolant leaks or replacement of those parts that are in the coolant loop (compressor, evaporator, condenser, txv). However the most common failing part is a capacitor which is not only easily replaced but also fairly inexpensive.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

You guys are a bunch of wusses. I have a house that has NO air conditioner. The damn thing broke down 4 years ago until I can afford to get it replaced. How's that for living.

I think I would have splurged for a room AC unit. At least then one could sleep.

koitsu
MVM
Mountain View, CA

koitsu to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
Hey man, my flat lacks an AC too. :P

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
Martinez, CA

Veloslave

Premium Member

dupe... delete

oops
Veloslave

Veloslave to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu

Re: Over 100 Degrees All Week Long

Mountain View?? ROFL!

Ninja please...

»www.weather.com/weather/ ··· USCA0746

here is Martinez...

»www.weather.com/weather/ ··· ph/94553

And now Sacramental (the Winner)

»www.weather.com/weather/ ··· USCA0967
Veloslave

Veloslave to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

May sound silly... but those little white plastic swamp coolers on wheels that you just put in the room work pretty darn awesome, we have been using one for many years now... saw one at a garage sale for $30 the other day...

Boricua
Premium Member
Sacramuerto

Boricua to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

Have you thought about fixing it ? Some of the more common problems with AC units can be fixed by anyone comfortable with wielding a screwdriver

The AC is from 1991 when the house was built. I'd rather replace the whole damn thing and get one that uses the current freon (R-134a?).
said by leibold:

Of course DIY doesn't apply to coolant leaks or replacement of those parts that are in the coolant loop (compressor, evaporator, condenser, txv). However the most common failing part is a capacitor which is not only easily replaced but also fairly inexpensive.

I am not afraid of DIY on some things since I AM mechanically inclined. Of course, you may be right about the capacitor, but I'd rather (see above).

koitsu
MVM
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Veloslave

MVM

to Veloslave
I can't believe I'm discussing this. *laugh*

Those are monthly averages -- not peaks. All this means is you're telling me "Mountain View tends to be cooler, on average, than Sacramento and Martinez". Well duh, we're along the penninsula of the bay! Thanks for the lesson, Captain Obvious! (I say that comically, not rudely )

I have friends in Livermore who have given me their temps as well -- I believe their high was 108F, which would probably kill me. They have central air, so all they did all day was sit in their 76F-cooled house. :P

My points are:

1. The temperatures we've gotten here in Mountain View are sky high compared to what's normal (I've lived here over 13 years) -- for example I think earlier this week we hit 96F or so,

2. The humidity we've been getting is insane, and it would vary by huge amounts very rapidly (going from 34% to 78% within 15 minutes, then back down to 40-50% for an hour, etc..),

3. I do not have an AC (like most apartments in Mountain View), so "cooling off" is a somewhat involved and difficult/annoying process,

4. I myself do not handle heat well, given where I'm from.

A friend of mine just flew in yesterday from Tokyo. He's originally from the Bay. When he got to my flat, he was absolutely soaking wet as a result of the humidity and some sweat. His first words were "F*** this weather, it doesn't even get like this in Tokyo during late summer, and the last time I remember it being like this locally was in the early 90s".
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
The old home AC used R22.
Current models use R410a (non ozone depleting)

Old auto AC used R12.
Current autos use R134a. (non-ozone depleting)
and soon will be using a new better refrigerant HFO-1234yf.

»www.stgeorgeutah.com/new ··· nsumers/

»www2.dupont.com/Refriger ··· tAutoAC/

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

The AC is from 1991 when the house was built. I'd rather replace the whole damn thing and get one that uses the current freon

My AC is from 1976 as far as I can make out from date-stamped parts. The fan motor failed a few years back (winding short circuit to ground) but I replaced it myself. Together with a few other parts I spend about $150 total on parts (+ dinner for a friend who helped with disassembly and reassembly).

I'm with you on the total replacement should anything happening that impairs the coolant loop (this AC still uses R22 which is getting pretty expensive) but for now I'm glad to have the old unit to keep me cool on the hottest evenings (I don't actually use it very often).

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu
said by koitsu:

I can't believe I'm discussing this. *laugh*

Those are monthly averages -- not peaks. All this means is you're telling me "Mountain View tends to be cooler, on average, than Sacramento and Martinez". Well duh, we're along the penninsula of the bay! Thanks for the lesson, Captain Obvious! (I say that comically, not rudely )

I was just goofing off and having some fun with it... not trying to have an actual "conversation"

I think you might be Captain NOT-so-obvious

koitsu
MVM
Mountain View, CA

koitsu

MVM

*laugh* Wouldn't be the first time someone's said that to me, so you're probably right.

Boricua
Premium Member
Sacramuerto

Boricua to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

The old home AC used R22.
Current models use R410a (non ozone depleting)

Old auto AC used R12.
Current autos use R134a. (non-ozone depleting)
and soon will be using a new better refrigerant HFO-1234yf.

»www.stgeorgeutah.com/new ··· nsumers/

»www2.dupont.com/Refriger ··· tAutoAC/

I knew it was something like that . Thanks for the correction .
Fat City
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

Fat City to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
I have an old 5-pound fire extinguisher from the 90's that is filled with Halon 1211. Is that the same stuff as R-22? Is it illegal to use this extinguisher? (Of course, if there was a fire, I wouldn't hesitate)

I live in the East Bay and my house doesn't have AC and I don't really need it except for a few days each summer. I'm less than a mile from the Bay and that wonderful fog is my AC!

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

Close but not the same:
Halon 1211 = Bromochlorodifluoromethane
R22 = Chlorodifluoromethane

I don't think it is illegal to use that fire extinguisher per se, but the steel container has probably expired (which would mean it is no longer legal to keep it under pressure).
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to Fat City

Premium Member

to Fat City
The biggest issue with Halon is its oxygen displacement. When you open the extinguisher container into an enclosed space it displaces the oxygen, meaning you only have 30 seconds to get out or you will pass out and die. It will put the fire out.
Fat City
Premium Member
Freedonia

Fat City

Premium Member

@leibold: Yep, that's the chemical name they give on the label (2.3 kg of the stuff). The service tag is dated Sept '96. Gauge still reads 100 psi---in the green zone.

@PrntRhd: We had Halon fire suppression in the rack rooms at the refinery I worked at so I'm aware of the O2 displacement danger. I believe that the Halon, being heavier than air, will make the floor O2-depleted first. The expellent gas is N2 which is also a hazard. Still, if I ever have a small fire, this baby is going off.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Yes,
I had a small Halon extinguisher for the car, if an engine fire broke out one could empty the contents through the grill and put the fire out without opening the hood. Then I started thinking about the risk of accidental activation while stored in the car... I got it out of there.
Fat City
Premium Member
Freedonia

Fat City

Premium Member

Good idea. Driving on I-80 with a cab full of Halon is such a bummer!

Good thing about Halon is no residue afterwards. I put out an engine fire with a powder-based extinguisher and it was a mess; that stuff got into everything and I never did get rid of it all.