spc
Search similar:

uniqs
StMartinsTrr
join:2004-08-26
UK

StMartinsTrr

Exchange 2007 restore repeated fails

Long story but Dell SBS server suffered a RAID hardware component fail that took out 4 drives and with them exchange databases. Replacing the component and "retag"ing the drives didn't work so BackUp Exec 12.5 daily tape backup should get me back to day prior to the hardware failure, except that it keeps failing on First Storage Group with VSS writer issues. However VSS list writers shows all as OK and no errors . Second Storage Group (not important) restores OK- typical!!!!!

Have been through lots of Symantec technotes and nothing so far has worked.

Desperately need to get this server and mail back - anyone able to assist??
StMartinsTrr

StMartinsTrr

UPDATE

Set a folder called Recovery Storage Group (not RSG2013XXXXX... that Exchange sets up in tools) and it worked!

Whose bright idea was that?

Now just need to get from recovery storage to first storage and we might be back.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

said by StMartinsTrr:

I don't know whose idea it was, but it's pretty well documented that that's how you restore Exchange -- unless I'm missing your point.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to StMartinsTrr

Premium Member

to StMartinsTrr
said by StMartinsTrr:

UPDATE

Set a folder called Recovery Storage Group (not RSG2013XXXXX... that Exchange sets up in tools) and it worked!

Now just need to get from recovery storage to first storage and we might be back.

The bright idea was to allow "dial tone" recovery.

You re-install Exchange in recovery mode and the mailboxes are created in the storage group. Users can now send and receive mail. You then take whatever time is required to restore the backup in the Recovery Storage Group, and then copy the messages to the live mailboxes. A little more complicated, but it does bring your email up a lot faster.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to StMartinsTrr

Premium Member

to StMartinsTrr
For when you're fully recovered...

Are you using the SBS edition of Backup Exec? If so, it includes Intelligent Disaster Recovery. Set that up. I recovered a customer recently with a similar disaster and it was little more than booting off the CD IDR created and pointing it to my last backup set and waiting - no need to do a separate Exchange recovery, etc.

Highly recommended.
StMartinsTrr
join:2004-08-26
UK

StMartinsTrr to jester121

to jester121
The point is that the wizard doesn't set up the folder name correctly. As so much is wizard driven in SBS you'd kinda think they'd try to get it right given SBS is often deployed in a setting where there is no full on IT support in residence.
StMartinsTrr

StMartinsTrr to craig70130

to craig70130
Cheers - Just WSUS to repair fully - 3 troublesome sql files that won't delete (safe mode reboot next time I'm on site) and then it is back. Think we lost about 6hrs mail all told (once it was online the logs showed who had tried to mail and we could get them to re-send so customer pleased that this was possible).

Will look into IDR when I get chance - it's SBS v12.5 that's in place (not sure IDR is there - I just recall CPS and vanilla BUE)
Expand your moderator at work