join:2002-10-17
Conyers, GA

2 recommendations

Xlogic to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay

Re: Milk and Wine Lillies

Click for full size
I did crop one and played with the curves a little just learning how to do it actually so it might not be right. You all are welcome to use these in the "Artify" thread I'm sure they could look better.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

To my way of thinking, you have the idea, and practicing is one of the best ways to learn, not only the shooting but the processing. Would you mind of I posted one that I played with to show you fully what I meant, right here in this thread?

Xlogic
Premium Member
Conyers, GA

Xlogic

Premium Member

I don't mind at all.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

3 recommendations

jaykaykay

MVM

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix S3380
4.3mm 1/125th F3.1 ISO64

I cropped, cloned out the top of the street and cloned in a few more leaves to cover that drain pipe. I added a little tone mapping, vibrancy, and finished off with a slight back lighting. Everyone else would do their own thing, and I think what you did to start with was a great start. The things I did are just "me".

Xlogic
Premium Member
Conyers, GA

1 edit

Xlogic

Premium Member

That's very nice jaykaykay!

I use GIMP is "tone mapping" called something else?

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

GeekGirl1 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Click for full size
I agree, you need go material to start with. Here's my version, cropped and resized to 1024x768.

Xlogic - I'm also using GIMP. If you don't have it yet, download the Fx-Foundry Scripts Pack. I used:

-BSSS sharpening
-Lasm's LAB wow
-LOMO effect

-along with a few other effects.

I found a definition for tone mapping: "Tone mapping reduces global contrast in images while increasing local contrast and shadow/highlight detail." Google for "tone mapping GIMP" - I don't have any experience with it, but there are tutorials and scripts. The Levels control seems to do some of this work.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
First I want to say nice edit JKK. Looking at that full size, it just proves my point about that class of Fuji taking some really nice shots. Even after your crop and edit, there's still a lot there. Maybe I'll pull out the old S3000 and give her a spin.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to Xlogic

MVM

to Xlogic
said by Xlogic:

That's very nice jaykaykay!

I use GIMP is "tone mapping" called something else?

»osp.wikidot.com/tone-mapping

Xlogic
Premium Member
Conyers, GA

Xlogic

Premium Member

Thanks jaykaykay, I've spent the day going through the gimp plugin registry, so many plugins but its fun playing with them.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

You are most welcome. Happy I was of help for you. Enjoy the plugins.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer to Xlogic

Premium Member

to Xlogic
You might also like Raw Therapee. It has extensive features, including tone and luminance mapping, temperature adjustment and great sharpening and local contrast tools. I often use it to pre-process my raw PEFs prior to editing in GIMP.

It supports most RAW formats and can export directly to GIMP.

Significant missing features are selection tools and layers.

»rawtherapee.com/

For a sample of working in RT and GIMP, see this tutorial on repair of a noisy RAW image.

»software-tips.wonderhowt ··· -291001/