YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

bradyr to Master5c8

Premium Member

to Master5c8

Re: cat5 cable ?

where are you guys getting that cat5 is only rated for 100Mbps??

standard category 5 cable is rated for 1000Mbps.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by bradyr:

quote:
Network support - CAT 5 cable will support 10BASE-T and 100BASE-T network standards, that is it supports networks running at 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps. CAT 5e is an enhanced version of Cat5 that adds specifications for crosstalk (see below). Cat5e cable is completely backwards compatible with Cat5, and can be used in any application in which you would normally use Cat5 cable. However, the added specifications of Cat5e enable it to support Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T), or networks running at 1000 Mbps.
:
Cat5e vs Cat6
There is a great deal of debate among people about whether new cabling installations should use Cat5e or Cat6. Many people incorrectly assume that by running Cat6 they will then have a Gigabit Ethernet. However, in order to achieve true Gigabit Ethernet speeds, every single component on a network must be gigabit rated, such as the switches, hubs and network interface cards. This isn't to say that there aren't differences between Cat5e and Cat6, however. The general difference between category 5e and category 6 is in the transmission performance. While Cat5e can support gigabit speeds, Cat6 is certified to handle gigabit Ethernet. Additionally, the Cat6 specification is better suited toward environments that are generally unfriendly to twisted pair cabling. This includes areas that have lots of interference from things like power lines, lights, and manufacturing equipment. Still, for most applications, Cat5e is perfectly suitable and preferable to Cat6: it is more economical and performs almost as well. However, if you can be certain that all the components on your network are gigabit rated, and the volume of the data being transmitted calls for certified gigabit performance, then Cat6 is the way to go.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to bradyr

Premium Member

to bradyr
said by bradyr:

From the EIA/TIA standard
cat5 might do gig but its not rated for it, you just got lucky

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

said by bradyr:

From the EIA/TIA standard
cat5 might do gig but its not rated for it, you just got lucky

Yes, Cat 5e, as it says in my previous post: " While Cat5e can support gigabit speeds, Cat6 is certified to handle gigabit Ethernet."

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to bradyr

MVM

to bradyr
said by bradyr:

Because if you Google cat5 it will only tout 100Mbps. That being said, agreed that shorter lengths of cat5 can negotiate 1000Mbps. I'm sure someone can post a chart that gives loss factors for catxx & length.

bradyr
Premium Member
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

bradyr to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
guys, look, the spec for gigabit ethernet, ieee 802.3ab, was written to include category 5 UTP cable:

"IEEE 802.3ab, ratified in 1999, defines gigabit Ethernet transmission over unshielded twisted pair (UTP) category 5, 5e, or 6 cabling and became known as 1000BASE-T. With the ratification of 802.3ab, gigabit Ethernet became a desktop technology as organizations could use their existing copper cabling infrastructure."

source: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gi ··· Ethernet

category 5e cable is the same bandwidth as category 5 cable.

if we were comparing cat 3 to cat 5, then i can understand.

but again, category 5 is rated for gigabit by definition. end of story, period....

debating the differences between cat5e and 6 and 6A are different subjects, but please do not state that standard cat5 is not for gigabit when it clearly is...
bradyr

bradyr

Premium Member

another source regarding gigabit on cat 5:

»www.cisco.com/en/US/tech ··· #wp17263

i hate to call bullshit on things, guys, please, but i'm telling ya'll that the standard cat 5 cable is designed to support gigabit by definition and IEEE spec.
tml73
join:2013-06-30
Fraser, MI

tml73

Thanks bradyr! After reading that link, I think I'll go ahead and install everything I intended to with that free cat5 and rest easily knowing I'll be fine
Master5c8
join:2002-09-15
Mansfield, IL

Master5c8 to bradyr

to bradyr
One place for the apparently incorrect association could be A+. Like here:

»www.mcmcse.com/comptia/a ··· ns.shtml

says Cat5 for 100Mbps Cat5e 1Gbps. I actually did think that Cat5 was only officially rated for 100BASE-TX until I looked it up after reading your post, so thank you for that.

bradyr
Premium Member
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

bradyr

Premium Member

yeah i didn't realize so many places are stating that cat5 is only good for 100Mbps when the original IEEE gigabit ethernet spec allows for standard cat5 cabling, and i've used gigabit over standard cat 5 for years.

sure on a new build-out, buying standard cat 5 cable is a bad idea, but if given it for free, on a home network DIY install? shit. no worries.

that just my opinion on it..

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

said by bradyr:

Because if you Google cat5 it will only tout 100Mbps. That being said, agreed that shorter lengths of cat5 can negotiate 1000Mbps. I'm sure someone can post a chart that gives loss factors for catxx & length.

Also note that the rated speed is just the bare minimum that the specs permit, that's not to say one really well made cat5 cable couldn't be as good as cat6, but without a QC tester you won't know.

the wire twisting machine could have twisted a cable better one time or its just not quite up to the 5e spec.