share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

[hard drive] PowerDVD is using my HDD while playing Blu-ray

When I am watching any HD Blu-ray movie PowerDVD will use my Hard Disk Drive very heavy. Why is PowerDVD using my Hard Disk Drive while playing an HD Blu-ray movie. PowerDVD shouldn't have to use my Hard Disk Drive because the HD movie is on a Blu-ray optical disc.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
Most likely is using it for data buffering. How much memory do you have, and what OS and depending on OS, how it is configured. Tell me the first two and well talk more. Blu-ray creates a lot of data/is a heavy video source... I would guess that you are on a laptop or a desktop using onboard video processing...

If my first assumption (the word has it's warning right?) is right... more RAM, a different RAM config (Win XP) or a better video card would help the situation.
--

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to floydb1982
Are you basing this off of the hard drive activity LED on the case? Some motherboards will light up that LED for both optical drive and hard drive activity.
--
KI6RIT

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
said by n_w95482:

Are you basing this off of the hard drive activity LED on the case? Some motherboards will light up that LED for both optical drive and hard drive activity.

I hope you are not right... I just assumed... you know... (oh dang... that's twice)

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

When I am watching any HD Blu-ray movie PowerDVD will use my Hard Disk Drive very heavy.

So what are you using to play the DVD?

And if it is the PowerDVD player, where is PowerDVD installed - on your hard drive, and so is the memory, page file at least.

If you were using Windows Media Player and it was, what is actually loaded as the default player for DVD media, .MKV or what ever is on the DVD?

Just so you know - a DVD disk will not, blu-ray or not, be played straight from the cd to the screen - it is a physical impossibility, something on the hard drive attached to the motherboard, the RAM, the CPU, the video card has to interact.

--------------------------

Now that's over with, what other details can you provide.

What media player?
How much RAM installed?

Please provide a little more to work with as suggested already, and sorry if I sounded a little smart with my reply, there isn't much to work with in an answer with the limited info provided.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to floydb1982
Which version of PowerDVD?

I play my disks off of copies to the hard drive. For some reason PowerDVD, both 12 and 13, artifacts heavily the first time the disk is played, either over the network (1GB wired) or on a drive in the machine playing. If I stop the disk and replay the artifacts go away. This is on my media machine, I haven't tried it on my machine yet.

I'd say that your hard drive indicator is going on to indicate the optical drive being accessed.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

4 edits
reply to Veloslave
PowerDVD 12
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with Media Center
iBUYPOWER Xion Echo Desktop Green Chassis
LG EW224 22-inch 1920x1080p/60Hz
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A-UD3
AMD FX-8120, Zambezi, 64-bit, 8-core, 3.1GHz, Socket AM3+
iBUYPOWER 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card with 800W Power Supply
1 installed Internal Seagate Hard Disk Drive 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s
Pioneer Internal BDR-2207 Blu-ray Writer
Internal 12-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard
Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse

floydb1982

Kent, WA
reply to n_w95482
I don't think so because this never happens on DVD movies just Blu-ray movies only.

floydb1982

Kent, WA
reply to Kilroy
I use PowerDVD 12 and this never happens on DVD movies just Blu-ray movies only.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to floydb1982
Wow... plenty of resources there and it seems you have eliminated the other variables...

Sounds like my original theory of the HD being used as virtual RAM might be correct, yet it sure doesn't make sense? An off the shelf Blu-ray player is not going to have more power/RAM/resources than that PC so... it doesn't make sense yet, I really don't see what else it would be?

I would look into the Catalyst Control Center software for your video card... maybe there are some video settings you can play with to help.

Bottom line... I sure don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with your system... but it doesn't seem to be efficient?
--

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

floydb1982

Kent, WA
What setting am I looking for in the Catalyst Control Center software???

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to n_w95482
n_w95482 The optical drive has it's LED light indicator built into the from of the drive were as the Hard Disk Drive has it's LED light indicator built on to the top of the chassis. Why would the motherboard bother to light up the Hard Disk Drive light indicator when there is no Blu-ray movie on the Hard Disk Drive at all??? From what your saying you make it sound as if PowerDVD makes a Hard Disk Drive copy as it's loading up the disc and starting to play the Blu-ray and then play's back two copies of the same movie at the same time. Now I really don't understand.

floydb1982

Kent, WA
reply to Veloslave
What do you mean the Hard Disk Drive is being used as Virtual RAM??? I've got 16 gigabytes of RAM witch is more than enough to handle anything I throw at it.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to floydb1982
The case LED for "HDD" access is typically used to indicate access to the IDE or SARA controller. So as noted, the case light doesn't necessarily mean the HDD is being accessed.

Windows, regardless of the amount of RAM installed, creates and uses a swap file (which is created on the primary HDD by default). Many applications still use the swap file and don't rely on installed RAM.
--
Google is your Friend

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to floydb1982
I have PowerDVD 13 and I can attest to what n_w95482 See Profile is saying about the DVD/HDD light activity. For whatever reason, my towers chassis HDD light will flicker at the exact same speed and rate as my Blu-ray drive when in playback mode. If accessing Blu-ray media through Windows explorer or a data DVD, the hard disk drive light will not mimic the optical media drives own led. I haven't noticed any actual hard disk drive access (read/write) going on while playback of a Blu-ray/DVD movie is in progress. I have a desktop gadget that would also display any activity.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to floydb1982
After reading a few reviews, it appears that PowerDVD does use the swap file.

You can verify yourself by watching the swap file size before and after opening PowerDVD.
--
Google is your Friend

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I think if Task Manager was opened and the Page Faults, Peak Working Set, Memory (Private Set) and Commit Size and you also looked at the Resource Monitor you would see more.

If some of the Task Manager columns grows excessively and doesn't drop, it can show if there is a driver issue etc.

dave See Profile might be best to help interpenetrate the results to explain more, but some of those figures while the Blu-Ray is played, compared to a normal DVD would definitely help show what is happening with the software/player etc.

Just a thought.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to floydb1982
Hell if I know, I don't make the things . I know my main PC does it (Gigabyte X58A-UD7 motherboard), and it seems to be common with various Dell models. I just tried copying an Ubuntu CD to my SSD, and the light was solid on, as was the one on the DVD drive. According to Windows, my SSD was sitting at 0-2% utilization (mostly 0). If I play an audio CD, both LEDs flash in tandem.

I don't know exactly what PowerDVD does, as I've never used it.
--
KI6RIT