uniqs
share rss forum feed

Internet123

join:2010-05-03
Southfield, MI

1 recommendation

Air Fiber is not ready for the big league

All,

As somebody who has run a fair amount of UBNT products as well as alot of higher end microwave and multipoint. I was obviously super excited for the Air Fiber unit. We ordered 10 links off the first shipment. After getting our first link out and upgrading the firmware I was starting to believe that this radio could be the real deal.

The next subsequent links we built all seems to have major problems. We have had 2 radios that just drop packets when you ping them and it isn't the ethernet. We have had 1 radio just flat our die on the tower and we have replaced 2 radios that continuously go down at random times for no apparent reason whatsoever.

The reliability of the unit is not even in the same ballpark as SAF or DWave, which was what we used to use for 24ghz links before AF.

AF Problems:

1. No OEM DC Power Option

2. No/Bad SNMP until just now

3. High OOB failure rate

4. High failure rate in first 3-6 months of operation

If you value your uptime and/or reputation, don't buy this radio.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
Have you talk to airfiber team over on ubnt forums with the problems your having???

voxframe

join:2010-08-02

1 recommendation

reply to Internet123
If the OP is using SAF or Dragon, talking to the team isn't going to help him too much. Maybe when days are acceptable, but not when clients are dead. He's most likely past the stages of knowing how to properly install a radio. (Which is the most they can help with remotely)

His gripes are also 100% real and justified. You won't find these issues with serious backhaul manufacturers. They'd be out of business if you did.

I've heard the same rumors from other operators, and haven't touched the things.

In my mind Ubnt is not a serious carrier option. Great for CPEs and APs, but backhaul that is over 100mbps, time to pull up your pants and get some heavy metal.

I hate the "Mikrotik Mentality" of being the guinea-pig for the latest-greatest products (Holy sweet fuck 6.x MT firmware, what a mess!) BUT you get what you paid for. Same as these. They're not in the same financial ballpark, nor are they in the same reliability or performance ballpark. It was a damn good stab by Ubnt, but in my mind they haven't nailed it. They jumped for the performance, but ignored just about everything else outside of the radio. The same comparison can be made for MT's Cloudcore. The core of it is insane and revolutionary, but you've got it wrapped in duct tape, running crap firmware.

It really sucks as I know some carriers that use these, in the worst possible installations, with piss-poor cabling, grounding, alignment, mounting, etc... And they work. Then I know carriers that spend thousands to make sure every detail is perfect, and the radios shit the bed.

Hit and miss, doesn't sit well with me for backhaul.

treichhart

reply to Internet123
Well if he doesnt like Ubnt products then he should redo his whole network with expensive stuff problem solved if you dont want to do that then dont be pissing and moaning about cheap products and work half of the time like Ubnt/MK. We didnt want to keep hearing about some WISP pissing and moaning about Ubnt/MK you should have spent the money n time on your network if your really serious about doing WISP. Plain and simple....

matthardy
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to Internet123
said by Internet123:

The next subsequent links we built all seems to have major problems. We have had 2 radios that just drop packets when you ping them and it isn't the ethernet. We have had 1 radio just flat our die on the tower and we have replaced 2 radios that continuously go down at random times for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Hi,
Have you sent an email with descriptions of your issues to support@ubnt.com?

Can you provide more info on "drop packets & isn't Ethernet"? We did have recent firmware updates to address an issue with Cisco compatibility, as well as add flow-control support... not sure if it's related.

As far as devices dying once installed, we did have an early bad batch of PoE adapters that we've seen this issue with. We did a recall on these adapters and notified our resellers (as well as posted in our forum). Aside from this known issue, our customers have been extremely happy with the reliability of the platform.

If you can send us detailed info on the specific issues you've seen, we'll be happy to help address them.

Thanks,
Matt

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

Have you talk to airfiber team over on ubnt forums with the problems your having???

Same post at UBNT.

»community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber/A···p/503483
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

1 recommendation

reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

Well if he doesnt like Ubnt products then he should redo his whole network with expensive stuff problem solved if you dont want to do that then dont be pissing and moaning about cheap products and work half of the time like Ubnt/MK. We didnt want to keep hearing about some WISP pissing and moaning about Ubnt/MK you should have spent the money n time on your network if your really serious about doing WISP. Plain and simple....

Slow down. It is Ubiquiti that advertises and claims to be "carrier class" the bottom line is they aren't and probably will never be. They are great for the up and coming WISP's who can now start for a fraction of the cost that those of us had to deal with who started before it was cool to have a WISP.

Have some respect for those of us who have been playing in this arena for 10 years or more.

treichhart

reply to Internet123
like I said before if he doesnt like it then dont use it.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

1 recommendation

said by treichhart:

like I said before if he doesnt like it then dont use it.

Based on his post, I'm sure he probably won't keep using them, but why is it a problem for him to post about his experiences? That's how many of us help make informed decisions about whether a product lives up to the company's claims or not.

treichhart

reply to Internet123
Because he is trying to say Ubnt airfiber product is bad he as not even tried to contact the airfiber team about the issue he is having.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD

1 recommendation

reply to Internet123
Another Ubiquiti shill; move along.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

Because he is trying to say Ubnt airfiber product is bad he as not even tried to contact the airfiber team about the issue he is having.

I didn't see him say anywhere that he didn't contact support.

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to Internet123
I will have to say that I do find fault with the OP. The reason being that UBNT has a very well earned reputation of not delivering on time, product shortage, faulty equipment on initial release, and buggy firmware---someone with "a fair amount of UBNT products" should have known better. How can you buy 10 links to "test", you are looking at a $30K bet!
We have made a fair amount of money with UBNT gear, but I learned long ago to never set a project's start date until I have the UBNT hardware in my hands. I also learned never to test a new FW version on the whole network. I do thank him for posting on the forum as that is how we all learn.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
said by Chele:

I will have to say that I do find fault with the OP. The reason being that UBNT has a very well earned reputation of not delivering on time, product shortage, faulty equipment on initial release, and buggy firmware...

So explain to me what your issue is with the OP? You are absolutely correct about Ubiquiti. However, show me where their marketing, claims and promises reflect reality. Their claim to fame on Airfiber was stealing Motorola Engineers and everything was supposed to be different. Instead same old same old. With the gear the OP has used previously he probably had the same cost ordering 10 UBNT units as one good backhaul. There is nothing inaccurate about what the OP is stating. The reality is AirFiber is not ready now nor will ever be ready for the "big league" Don't attack the OP for an issue with equipment. That issue is certainly not his fault.

Chele

join:2003-07-23

1 recommendation

said by wirelessdog:

So explain to me what your issue is with the OP? .........However, show me where their marketing, claims and promises reflect reality. Their claim to fame on Airfiber was stealing Motorola Engineers and everything was supposed to be different. Instead same old same old. With the gear the OP has used previously he probably had the same cost ordering 10 UBNT units as one good backhaul. There is nothing inaccurate about what the OP is stating. The reality is AirFiber is not ready now nor will ever be ready for the "big league" Don't attack the OP for an issue with equipment. That issue is certainly not his fault.

Equipment issues are not the OP's fault, you are correct. His fault lies in diving head first with by using 10 AirFibers at once. The OP has previous experience with UBNT. That means he has been exposed to all the "quirks" UBNT has. I just see it as a big gamble to test 10 links at once on a product line he has not used before. Air Fibers (or any product with that kind of throughput) are not used for casual links, there is a great chance they are mission critical---which means far more research! This is why I find fault with his testing 10 Air Fibers at once, he should have known better:( You will find ALL of UBNT's flaws listed in their own forum, I will give UBNT credit for not censoring posts against them. Unlike MTK, those SOB's will actually ban you for badmouthing them!
We have all been down that road before, you test a new product before diving head first! Especially with UBNT. A while back we had to replace several links for a major client, one of the guys within our company insisted we start using Airaya, we bought one to test, that was one too many! To say their tech support/products are crap, would be mean spirited against real crap:(
As for UBNT's marketing, when was the last time you heard a company brag about delayed/undelivered launch dates, vaporware, non-company provided tech support, and on--and on, quirks for which UBNT is known for? As far as "stealing" engineers, you don't steal people--they allow themselves to be taken by their little hands:) We work with several manufacturers, and we learned long ago not to dismiss people(tell them to go to hell), as the water-boy from one company will be the project manager for their competitor next time you see him. I really hope the OP can solve his issues or get his money back.