share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 edit

Do I need an alignment?

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium (AWD) with Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires. 28k miles on them, mostly highway. Rotation every 6k miles. Last alignment was done at 9k miles.

Here's my tread depth measurements below. There are four major groove lines in each tire.

Left front:
All grooves are 6-1/2 32nds
Right front:
Left-most to right-most grooves: 7/32, 6/32, 7/32, 6-1/2 32nd
Left rear:
All grooves are 7/32
Right rear:
Left-most to right-most grooves: 6-1/2 32nd, 7/32, 7/32, 6-1/2 32nd

Do I need an alignment since the numbers are not even? Or is it such a small number that there is no issue? I don't see any flat spots or anything like that. Any idea at this rate how many more miles I can get out of these tires?

Here's a comparison, my 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L engine (RWD) has appx. 20k mostly highway miles on its Goodyear Integrity tires. Tire rotation every 6k miles. Truck has 175k miles with a lot of new front suspension work on it (rides so much smoother!). I've had an alignment every 15k miles or so. All four major grooves on each tire were ALL measured at 7-1/2 32nds. I guess I was expecting similar results on the Subaru. Any idea how many more miles I can get out of these tires on the truck at this rate?

For either vehicle, what is a good mileage to get an alignment at as standard/preventative maintenance?

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

said by fartness:

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium (AWD) with Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires. 28k miles on them, mostly highway. Rotation every 6k miles. Last alignment was done at 9k miles.

Here's my tread depth measurements below. There are four major groove lines in each tire.

Left front:
All grooves are 6-1/2 32nds
Right front:
Left-most to right-most grooves: 7/32, 6/32, 7/32, 6-1/2 32nd
Left rear:
All grooves are 7/32
Right rear:
Left-most to right-most grooves: 6-1/2 32nd, 7/32, 7/32, 6-1/2 32nd

Do I need an alignment since the numbers are not even? Or is it such a small number that there is no issue? I don't see any flat spots or anything like that. Any idea at this rate how many more miles I can get out of these tires?

Here's a comparison, my 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L engine (RWD) has appx. 20k mostly highway miles on its Goodyear Integrity tires. Tire rotation every 6k miles. Truck has 175k miles with a lot of new front suspension work on it (rides so much smoother!). I've had an alignment every 15k miles or so. All four major grooves on each tire were ALL measured at 7-1/2 32nds. I guess I was expecting similar results on the Subaru. Any idea how many more miles I can get out of these tires on the truck at this rate?

For either vehicle, what is a good mileage to get an alignment at as standard/preventative maintenance?

I have no idea if you need one, but if an expert on here says you do, go to Firestone Auto and get their Lifetime Alignment. For $160, you can get an alignment anytime you want for the life of your car.
--
No Victim=No Crime

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
kudos:1
reply to fartness

I wouldnt......But I am a cheap old bastard.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to billydunwood

Is a different type of alignment needed on my Subaru versus the Ranger? Subaru is AWD and Ranger is RWD.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

I have no idea if you need one, but if an expert on here says you do, go to Firestone Auto and get their Lifetime Alignment. For $160, you can get an alignment anytime you want for the life of your car.

Local alignment shop wants $34.95 for an alignment. That'll buy a lot of alignments for $160.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

They know people need them around here, so $60 is the absolute cheapest one can get it for. They range on up to double that for some AWD vehicles because the dealers rape...

Is that Firestone deal national?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by fartness:

It's advertised on their corporate website, but local participation may vary, as does the price.

billydunwood

united state
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by billydunwood:

Local alignment shop wants $34.95 for an alignment. That'll buy a lot of alignments for $160.

Depends on the area. For that $160, I get my alignment every 6 months or so. So after 2 years of paying $35(which in Los Angeles you will never get), I would be even. I'll take my Lifetime Alignment.
--
No Victim=No Crime

billydunwood

united state
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

They know people need them around here, so $60 is the absolute cheapest one can get it for. They range on up to double that for some AWD vehicles because the dealers rape...

When I went to the store 3 weeks ago, the Manager was offering a coupon for $20 off. It looks like the price is probably nationwide, but see if you can get that coupon
--
No Victim=No Crime

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

Depends on the area. For that $160, I get my alignment every 6 months or so. So after 2 years of paying $35(which in Los Angeles you will never get), I would be even. I'll take my Lifetime Alignment.

Instead of getting an alignment every 6 months, why not actually fix the problem that causes a need for an alignment every 6 months. Cars don't need alignments every 6 months unless you're a horrible driver, you're abusing your vehicle, or you don't take care of it and are frequently replacing suspension parts.

billydunwood

united state

said by cdru:

said by billydunwood:

Instead of getting an alignment every 6 months, why not actually fix the problem that causes a need for an alignment every 6 months. Cars don't need alignments every 6 months unless you're a horrible driver, you're abusing your vehicle, or you don't take care of it and are frequently replacing suspension parts.

LOL. Have you ever been to Los Angeles? There is like 50 2ft deep potholes on every street.
--
No Victim=No Crime

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by billydunwood:

LOL. Have you ever been to Los Angeles? There is like 50 2ft deep potholes on every street.

No I haven't. But you apparently have never been anyplace that has freeze-thaw cycles. I'll see your potholes and raise you our potholes.

billydunwood

united state

said by cdru:

said by billydunwood:

No I haven't. But you apparently have never been anyplace that has freeze-thaw cycles. I'll see your potholes and raise you our potholes.

Your only helping me prove my point. Large potholes, especially when the city does not fix them, can cause your car to lose it's alignment simply by hitting it. Just get the lifetime service, and be done. Get new tires? Free alignment. Got new suspension parts? Free Alignment. Hit a bad pothole? Free Alignment.
--
No Victim=No Crime

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to cdru

I'm in Upstate NY, I have it far worse than both of you combined

Some pot holes are almost manhole size. Plus the random crackhead that steals the sewer lids make for an interesting commute.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

If the wear looks even by feel and looks, and care doesn't drift to one side. Then once a year to every other year is reasonable. But if any of the above conditions appear above then you need to get it checked. Some places do a basic check for free. It gives you a rough guesstimate.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

Your only helping me prove my point. Large potholes, especially when the city does not fix them, can cause your car to lose it's alignment simply by hitting it. Just get the lifetime service, and be done. Get new tires? Free alignment. Got new suspension parts? Free Alignment. Hit a bad pothole? Free Alignment.

My point which I guess I only half made was that I've been hitting the unavoidable pothole for years, yet I haven't needed semi-annual alignments because I try to avoid all of them that I can, I don't make it a habit of hitting large objects that would also throw it off, and I try to keep my car well maintained.

I'm not saying that it's never needed. Sometimes life does throw you out of alignment and you do need it. There's a reason why any company offers "lifetime" service. It's because it's profitable. Not because you need it, or it's going to save you money. It's because it makes them money. And it makes them money because they know that in the majority of time, the breakage is going to more than pay for the statistical outlier that needs the frequent alignment.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Beezel

said by Beezel:

If the wear looks even by feel and looks, and care doesn't drift to one side. Then once a year to every other year is reasonable. But if any of the above conditions appear above then you need to get it checked. Some places do a basic check for free. It gives you a rough guesstimate.

+1

Makes the most sense of any post so far.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Beezel

Any place I've ever been to say if I want my alignment checked, the biggest fee is putting it on the lift and getting the machine started, so I'd be better off getting the alignment anyway. This is from multiple spots, nowhere does it for free.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV

said by fartness:

Any place I've ever been to say if I want my alignment checked, the biggest fee is putting it on the lift and getting the machine started, so I'd be better off getting the alignment anyway. This is from multiple spots, nowhere does it for free.

They don't put it on a rack. They have plates on the floor that they drive over to get an idea. Which I said is a guesstimate. Last time I have seen one was at a National Tire and Battery. I am retired and I do 100% all my own work, so I don't check out local garages anymore. So I though more places would have them so they can sell more alignments. They may have not caught on as much as I though they would.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by Beezel:

They don't put it on a rack. They have plates on the floor that they drive over to get an idea.

Hmm, they sure do around the SE USA. All the shops that do alignments use an alignment rack or sometimes a rare pit (very old garages).

»www.google.com/search?q=alignment+rack
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

I believe what he may be referring to is the tire-scrub indicators such as the test lane facilities use. They give a basic idea on front toe-in or toe-out.

wishera

join:2000-12-12
Everett, WA
reply to fartness

Our Toyota dealership checks the alignment for every car that pulls into their service bay for free whether it is for an oil change or light bulb change. I always get a printout of the status of my alignment every time I go in there. I'm surprised your local subaru dealers don't do the same.
--
Douglas Adams: "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

said by wishera:

Our Toyota dealership checks the alignment for every car that pulls into their service bay for free whether it is for an oil change or light bulb change. I always get a printout of the status of my alignment every time I go in there. I'm surprised your local subaru dealers don't do the same.

This. Our Kia dealership here does it too. Took my mother's Sportage in a few weeks ago for a brake switch recall and got a full inspection, no cost, which included the alignment check. Came out without a cent spent and got an up to date checkup on the car.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Beezel:

They don't put it on a rack. They have plates on the floor that they drive over to get an idea.

Hmm, they sure do around the SE USA. All the shops that do alignments use an alignment rack or sometimes a rare pit (very old garages).

»www.google.com/search?q=alignment+rack

As mattmeg said I was referring to the scrub pads in the floors. I had a brain fart and forgot what they were called.

I know what alignment equipment is. I have over 20 years of experience starting with the old manual FMC Laser & Lite machine (the one with the mirror and cross-hairs). And using different brands and generations of machines. For automotive to heavy commercial applications.

Doc,
You really need to take time and read all the threads and understand their context before spouting your "Google-Fu" as usual.
Expand your moderator at work