Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pvkid
Jeff Musto

join:2005-09-06
Saint Paul, MN

network path to my Vizo TV

I am looking for the network path to my Vizo TV E601i-A3 so I can access it from my desktop computer on the same network. I am interested in sending files through the network to the USP drive attached to the TV
--
pvkid
»www.puerto-vallarta-rentals.com

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
I haven't even bothered to check the specs, but it is highly unlikely that the TV provides a file sharing server process for connected drives. I'd be surprised if it is anything but read-only access to the USB drive.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to pvkid
I don't see anything in the manual about being able to push anything to the USB, just play (page 44). Looks like you're going to have to connect the USB drive to your machine, put what you want on it, then reconnect to the TV.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

pvkid
Jeff Musto

Saint Paul, MN
reply to kontos
I have a WD TV Live box that lets me do this I was hoping for some thing similar with the Vizio, it sure make is nice when you want to transfer a bunch of photos.
--
pvkid

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to pvkid
Only thing you can really do is purchase a tv with that capability.

hardware bum

join:2004-01-26
State College, PA
reply to pvkid
I've been trying to do this with a Visio, too. Let me know if you find out how. I've port scanned my Visio and everything is locked down.

pvkid
Jeff Musto

Saint Paul, MN
reply to Cthen
And that would be what TV?

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
I doubt there is a specific one that will do this. It makes no sense to build a file server into a TV. Most prefer to build sets or media players that can connect to another server on the network and stream video.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY
reply to pvkid
I think you could do what you want with a Raspberry Pi for about $50 if you have a free HDMI input.

Raspberry Pi + HDMI cable (and Wireless if no wired ethernet is available)

Attach a USB drive or USB stick and mount it as a Samba share...You can then copy your photos to a Samba share and view them on the TV by changing the input. If you want a fancy interface you can use Raspbmc as an XBMC front end for the local or remote photos.
--
-Stupidity, like hydrogen, is one of the basic building blocks of the Universe.
-Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Misc

pvkid
Jeff Musto

Saint Paul, MN
There are several different devices that can do this and I own them already. The best I have found is WD TV. But the whole idea is to get rid of all of the devices and use the TV only.
The TV has a nice video player built in and I have a 2 TB USB 3 drive connected to the TV, I am just looking for a simple way to transfer videos and photos to the drive over the network so I do not have to go get the drive and plug it into my computer and then hook it back up to the TV.
The TV can see my media file server but the server can not see the TV on the network. On yhe interface on the TV there is no option to transfer files, just play them.
--
pvkid

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
As said, there is likely no file server on the TV. No ppoint to it on a data consuming device.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

4 edits
reply to pvkid
Yup TV is a one way street inbound display only.

For most you need a Roku or your WD to otherwise act as a sever.

Not saying there are none (likely pricey), but clearly not yours. It needs external devices. TV one way IN... an external device Might act as two way. Plus sucking out of the TV would mean DRMA (not meaning just music) rights limitations as well it HAS to adhere too software does not per se..

Why you cant direct copy stuff off SAT or Cable boxes only analog to DVDR Even most stuff you find on line though HD ratio is still ESD level at best unless you are talking the rare GB's per hour and have the bandwidth for it. And those are mainly licensed or PD sources and most of the hires SD (pre wide screen standard 35 mm if really is) is not better than 720p (sure 1080 is possible but incredible waste of bandwidth) with a basically 4:3 screen yes that is where TV ratio was derived from the standard pre widescreen 35mm film... and other than rare big city 70mm wide screen was still anamorphic 35mm standard print.

And really true sideways 70mm IMAX no longer exist it all electronically upscaled 35mm, and most places electronically projected no longer transferred to film.

No movie can afford to be shot on sideways (near 3x5" per frame) 70mm film in long format.... What the early stuff is so much more amazing... like the NASA/nature 40 min films truly shot that way with the big ass 70mm IMAX though in space weightless cameras but highly unmaneuverable in confined space still.

Probably shorts still shot that way but ALL commercial IMAX films are upscaled 35mm
--