Solar Tower

Thanks for your help

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
I guess theft or vandalism is not an issue in your area?

You also need anti-climb panels on the bottom of the tower.

jmcdonald521

join:2013-07-01

1 edit
thanks for your help

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to jmcdonald521
looks nice what size solar panel and battery are you using? Also why did you decide go with an omni antenna vs dish antenna for backhaul?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to jmcdonald521
Rather than leaving a gaping hole in the side of your box, I would have used glands for each cable, or a multi-cable gland.

It will keep some moisture out, but also dust, insects, and other debris.

edit: on closer inspection, actually maybe thats not a gaping hole. Nevermind.

jmcdonald521

1 edit
thanks for you help

jmcdonald521

1 edit
reply to treichhart
thanks for your help

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to jmcdonald521
I would seriously keep 2 batteries and also how much did that 100w solar panel and batteries cost ya and where you get it at?

jmcdonald521

1 edit
thanks for you help

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Am I blind or is there no guy wires? If so, you don't need anti-climb shields... only a crazy person would climb it.

jmcdonald521

1 edit
thanks for you help

wolfcreek

join:2003-12-02
Pagosa Springs, CO
reply to jmcdonald521
If I might make a suggestion. Not sure where you are located in the country but i would recommend a second panel and using a small mptt charge controller. I would put them in series and use the two batteries in series (24 volts).

The rocket uses about 7 watts and the Mikrotik will be similar or higher wattage use. For most winter locations figure you only have 6 hrs of real charging time per day. Also, use the panels NOCT rating and not the STC rating. I would guess this is about a 75 watt panel max under NOCT.

(14 watts x 24 hours = 336 watts per day 6 hours x 75 watts =450 watts produced.) This does not give enough allowance for cloudy days, cold weather, losses on the panel, charger, battery, if you are up-converting to 24 volts from 12 about 15% loss there. If you are running these devices at 12 volts the internal powers supplies are more inefficient at that voltage and your draw will be higher.

It is your system but i know i do not like bringing out a charger and generator when customers call.
--
Remote Power Systems
Technician: Skywerx.com

jmcdonald521

1 edit
thanks for you help

jmcdonald521

1 edit
reply to wolfcreek
thanks for your help

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

reply to jmcdonald521
said by jmcdonald521:

Well call me crazy...lol...

I already did. You'd never get me to climb it and I've been called crazy too.

What brand and model of tower is it?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wolfcreek

join:2003-12-02
Pagosa Springs, CO
reply to jmcdonald521
The wal-mart marine batteries should be ok, about 125 amp hours of storage. If you add a second panel I would put two posts at the end of the panels away from the tower and connect your uni-strut to that. This will help lower the amount of wind load the tower is taking from the panels. Even though they are mounted low just one probably exceeds the towers capacity.
--
Remote Power Systems
Technician: Skywerx.com

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

1 recommendation

reply to jmcdonald521
Standard practice on just about any cable is to have a drip loop prior to ingress. If it doesn't leak, that's cool. But not a good habit to get in to IMO.

Looks like a 25ish series. 50' is too much without guys IMO also. At least one set would make it reasonable any way
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
Judging by the angle the solar panel is set at, I'd have to think it is in a Northern climate subject to Winter ice and snow but then the panel looks to be too low to the ground. Also, the battery in the box would be subject to freezing.

Another concern in Northern climates is how a section of tower is simply sunk into the concrete. Around here, the tower leg would fill up with water, freeze, and shear off.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to jmcdonald521
said by jmcdonald521:

There is only 50ft of tower and I have two separate engineer friends who I gave detailed plans to separately and they both said it was good to go.

You need new friends. That is a huge liability and is unsafe. Swimming pool and kids toys in the not so far background? How you can sleep at night is beyond me.

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to jmcdonald521
said by jmcdonald521:

I am just using marine batteries from wal-mart right now. $108.90 tax included.

I see several wires going into that toolbox which I assume also holds the batteries so suspect electronics inside. Are you not concerned about corrosion from the batteries off-gassing?
--

cfabe

join:2003-03-07
USA
reply to jmcdonald521
I see 6 sections of tower. You need 2 sets of guys, luckily you have room to add them. Your engineer friends obviously did not even bother to consult the rohn catalog, the guy specs are right there and very easy to understand.

You also need at least twice the solar and batteries to make it through winter.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
said by cfabe:

I see 6 sections of tower. You need 2 sets of guys

I agree, two sets of guys would make this tower safe. According to the Rohn guy detail, you'll want one set at 28' and the other at 55', placed 48' from the base of the tower.

Here's a quick table that will show you the various guy levels for each wind speed: »www.bizrad.com/towers/25gguytables.htm

jmcdonald521

1 edit
reply to wirelessdog
thanks for you help

jmcdonald521

1 edit
thanks for you help

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to jmcdonald521
The fact of the matter is IF that tower falls, and IF it hurts someone in the process, YOU will be liable. Make no mistake, YOU will be liable. So if someone ever dies on it, kiss your ass good bye. The tower is NOT within specifications by any notable engineer (provided your "friends" are engineers, and actually gave you an insurance waiver of some sort), or the tower manufacturer company itself.

With out a base plate at a minimum, that tower wasn't erected properly. Fact..

You don't have to believe any one here. But you should. No one is trying to be jerks here. Just stating facts or opinions. Most of the people here are owners (like myself), and some are actual engineers. Most do this work full time, professionally, and without getting people hurt because there are "codes" in place to prevent that... A tower is a heavily engineered piece of equipment, by engineers.

If it is a 25 series style tower, It should be guyed at that height.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

jmcdonald521

1 edit
thanks for you help

cfabe

join:2003-03-07
USA
reply to jmcdonald521
The foundation looks well done, getting soil tests is great, but 25G is not rated for self support above 40ft. Period. You need to guy it. In current configuration it will fail near the base in the first strong thunderstorm with winds in the 60mph+ range.

Look here: »www.rohnnet.com/rohn-g-series-se···ng-tower

Read the brochure, you will see 25G rated for 1.5 sqft of antenna at 40ft, nothing higher.

You can fix this easily and quickly. At 60ft with your small antenna load even one set of guys at 40-45ft would put you in MUCH better shape. Even just some $15 4-foot screw-in anchors and 3/16" cable from the hardware store would be a decent solution, if that's all you have available. Under $200 and maybe 2 hours time.

I've built about 40 25G towers, as tall as 160ft. They can be an excellent value in towers for a WISP, you can cheat the spec a bit on shorter towers, but you're pushing it too far on this one. I don't know you and don't have any interest in whether your tower fails. Just trying to offer advice to help the overall WISP community. Take it or leave it I guess. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
Remember, all the specs are without ice loading. If the angle of the solar is any indication of latitude, one needs to factor ice as well.

That first section stuck in concrete like that is very disconcerting. Around here we see bollards shear off from freeze expansion.
--

jmcdonald521

1 edit
thanks for you help

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to jmcdonald521
Do heed the advise given. You need to keep several things in mind:
1) You must be paranoid when it comes to life and safety. Paranoia is a very good friend:(, this comes from someone that thinks that if "one is good enough, than two is much better!"
2) So far, none of the guys that have posted on your threads are known as fan-boys of any product--they all seem(on the surface anyways:)) very reasonable, experienced people.
3) All the advise given is to improve your chances of success, it should motivate you to at least seek a second(or third) opinion.

BTW, I know nothing about tower construction or design. I do occasionally climb towers and I seriously doubt hell will ever get cold enough for me to climb yours.