join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

than and not so then

was researching this photo:

and got a little surprise.

»maps.google.com/maps?q=a ··· NODuQpkg

then I realized that the image date is correct.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

KCrimson

Premium Member

Photo? Are you sure? It sure looks like a painting to me. Where do you see a date?

One more question - what was the surprise?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

1) its a photo of a painting.
2) look at the streetview, it is dated 2013, look in the background. You see the WTC.

Fishead1
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Fishead1

Premium Member

So what are you getting at?There's no train there any more.Is this a mystery stuck inside of an enigma?

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

Is THIS the date mark???
What I believe you're seeing as the WTC (the largest building in the background, looks to me like the Williamsburg Savings Bank building.

The foreground scenery places it circa 20's or 30's (cars, trains, "Moonshine" reference), and without the WTC reference, I don't really see the anything unusual. The datemark still eludes me, and I've tried to enlarge (to the max) the area near the people with the umbrellas, where I see an indistinct blur of what looks like it could be writing.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

the date is on the Street View on the attached link. You see what looks like twin towers in 2013, but it is actually tower 7 and tower 1 at the moment it was at the same elevation as 7.

Fishead1
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Fishead1

Premium Member

Not sure what your getting at.Are you saying the EL was there when the new Trade Center was up.I mean some times I'm pretty dense but I don't understand what your trying to say.

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

KCrimson

Premium Member

I just realized the OP's intention...

They were looking at the painting ("photo"), and wanted to see its modern perspective so they went to Google's "street view" (click the street view avatar on the Google Map link provided), and for some reason the photo includes what looks like the Twin Towers - which of course in 2013 shouldn't be there (as Google Maps photos are about maximum 2 years old).

As stated, its caused by the angle of the streetview photo which puts a nearby smaller building at about the same "height" at Freedom Tower/1WorldTradeCenter.

I'm still left wondering if the original photo/painting depicts 1 Hanson (Williamsburg Savings Bank) or perhaps another building that might not still stand (one other thought was the Woolworth Building, which is also ornate like 1 Hanson, but like 1 Hanson I believe it shouldn't really be visible at that perspective). I've grown a fondness now for that painting, if only because I've spent WAY too much time examining it.

Woops - the OP stated that the heights are the same because Freedom Tower wasn't yet taller. That is quite possibly more correct than what I thought they stated.
KCrimson

KCrimson to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

AIG - 70 Pine Street
I got it - its the AIG Building (70 Pine Street). It was completed in '31 (which is correct to the painting's foreground which advertised "Moonshine" (wouldn't have been advertised before Prohibition ended)). When completed, it was the 3rd tallest building (after Empire State and Chrysler), and tallest in lower Manhattan until the WTC was built in the early 70's.

»www.skyscraper.org/EXHIB ··· pine.htm

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to Fishead1

Premium Member

to Fishead1
said by Fishead1:

Not sure what your getting at.Are you saying the EL was there when the new Trade Center was up.I mean some times I'm pretty dense but I don't understand what your trying to say.

the google streeview link
the google streetview link
the google streetview link

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

PCInTech

Premium Member

ok, been looking at those so much, now I want Papaya Dog!

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

Joe, were you the high bidder for the 1 Hanson shack?