Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

[News] Microsoft Closing TechNet

Bummer.

»www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-shut-···tag=e589

"The online Technet blogs and customer support forums will live on, but Microsoft announced today in a letter to subscribers that it plans to retire its venerable TechNet subscriptions service. New subscriptions will no longer be available after August 31, 2013, and the subscription service will shut down as current subscribers' contracts end."

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH
double bummer

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Oregonian
Yep.. Got the email today. Microsoft is basically screwing over those of us non-corporate folks that have TechNet so that we may get hands on experience with their products. We cannot afford to spend the kind of money they are wanting in order to gain access with an MSDN subscription.

I am fed up with them and doing my best to move my entire career in a different direction so I do not have to deal with them any longer.

I will likely go through in December before my Sub expires and generate keys for every product I might possibly want and download them all. Fuck them!!!

Here is a copy of what I received:

Microsoft is retiring the TechNet Subscription service.
As IT trends and business dynamics have evolved, so has Microsoft’s set of offerings for IT professionals who are looking to learn, evaluate and deploy Microsoft technologies and services. In recent years, we have seen a usage shift from paid to free evaluation experiences and resources. As a result, Microsoft has decided to retire the TechNet Subscriptions service and will discontinue sales on August 31, 2013.

Additional Information:
More background on Microsoft’s decision to retire the TechNet Subscription service and the implications for current subscribers is available on the TechNet Subscriptions Retirement FAQ page.

Subscribers with active accounts may continue to access program benefits until their current subscription period concludes.

We are committed to helping customers through this transition phase and will remain focused on providing IT professionals with free access to a broad set of TechNet assets that support the needs of IT professionals around the world.

Improved Free Offerings for IT Professionals Include:

TechNet Evaluation Center: Free evaluation software with no feature limits, available for 30-180 days. Includes rich evaluation resources and TechNet Virtual Labs, which enable you to evaluate software without the need to install bits locally.
Microsoft Virtual Academy: Free online learning site, with over 200 expert-led technical training courses across more than 15 Microsoft technologies with more added weekly.
TechNet Forums: Free online forums where IT professionals can ask technical questions and receive rapid responses from members of the community.

Please note, MSDN Subscriptions provide a paid set of offerings that are also available for those who require access to evaluation software beyond what the above free offerings provide.
Thank you for your understanding as we increase focus on growing and investing in our free offerings to better meet the needs of the IT professional community.
Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies.
- TechNet Subscription Team

Microsoft respects your privacy. Review our online Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA, USA 98052

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to Oregonian
Guess I'll be downloading everything I can and exporting all of the keys when my contract is up next year. Really stupid they are doing this without some alternative besides MSDN.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Oregonian
What a shame, its going to hurt a lot of entry level folks trying to get their feet wet, stay up or ahead of the curve, etc. I've been a subscriber for several years and I have expanded my familiarity with numerous Microsoft products thanks to it.

BillRoland
Premium
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

Guess I'll be downloading everything I can and exporting all of the keys when my contract is up next year. Really stupid they are doing this without some alternative besides MSDN.

Same here.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to Oregonian
IOW, they're sick of people using the Technet licenses incorrectly.

Can't say I blame them, but still... BOOOOO

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these keys time-bombed? Didn't MS say something in terms and conditions that TechNet keys are only good while you are a subscriber. I mean, if you already have a copy of Windows or Office activated with TechNet key, it won't stop working, but if OS gets hosed up to a point that format and reinstall is needed, chances are that it won't reactivate. Not sure of TechNet keys are equivalent of retail keys, which are good indefinitely.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill.
If the opposite of pro is con, then the opposite of progress is Congress.

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
Unless they changed it, I thought that whatever keys you were issued while under contract would continue to work even if you don't renew. I could be wrong on this though.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX
They did change it, sometime during the last year or so, so that the keys/licenses are only good while you're an active subscriber. This is the reason I didn't re-subscribe.

I doubt that they would invalidate the key if it was active - probably just not allow a reactivation.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
reply to Pirate515
I wonder if an unused key will still be able to be activated after a subscription expires?

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Microsoft is basically screwing over those of us non-corporate folks that have TechNet so that we may get hands on experience with their products. We cannot afford to spend the kind of money they are wanting in order to gain access with an MSDN subscription.

»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter

"Full-featured evaluations at no cost" for 30-180 days. Hands on. Experience. Free.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Oedipus

1 recommendation

said by JohnInSJ:

said by ropeguru:

Microsoft is basically screwing over those of us non-corporate folks that have TechNet so that we may get hands on experience with their products. We cannot afford to spend the kind of money they are wanting in order to gain access with an MSDN subscription.

"Full-featured evaluations at no cost" for 30-180 days. Hands on. Experience. Free.

And they only offer a fraction of the items available on Technet through the eval center. Only. A. Fraction.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Oedipus:

And they only offer a fraction of the items available on Technet through the eval center. Only. A. Fraction.

If TechNet is the same as MSDN, which I have access to, then I can see this as being a huge loss to support providers not just for evaluation purposes but to resolve issues where specific files are needed from ISO's that you can't obtain elsewhere.

Fortunately I have access to MSDN and Action Pack from one of my employers so I can usually get VLK or OEM ISO's through either one.

Earlier today I needed SW_DVD5_Windows_Svrs_2012_English_FDN_StorStd_StorWG_OEM_X18-34599.IMG and used my Action Pack subscription to get it.

Perhaps Action Pack could replace TechNet for some?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Oregonian
Damn,.......

Just damn,.....

I have to check when my subscription expires,......

***edit***

Un-freakin believable!!!

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by ropeguru:

Currently that's true. Once Technet closes, I would bet more would be available.
--

Oedipus

reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Oedipus:

If TechNet is the same as MSDN, which I have access to, then I can see this as being a huge loss to support providers not just for evaluation purposes but to resolve issues where specific files are needed from ISO's that you can't obtain elsewhere.

Fortunately I have access to MSDN and Action Pack from one of my employers so I can usually get VLK or OEM ISO's through either one.

Earlier today I needed SW_DVD5_Windows_Svrs_2012_English_FDN_StorStd_StorWG_OEM_X18-34599.IMG and used my Action Pack subscription to get it.

Perhaps Action Pack could replace TechNet for some?

MAPS, which includes Technet access, does not have nearly as much swag as Technet does. The licensing/intent is different, too.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Oedipus:

That was never the intended use for TechNet.
--

Dr Tweak

join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA
reply to Oregonian
I just renewed last month, what a bunch of $%#@%% they could have told me they were discontinuing instead of stealing my money. I'm done with MS, Windows 8 SUCKS and I they just don't seem to get it anymore.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Oregonian
I remember I bought a Tech Net subscription to gain access to the Microsoft OS downloads and Office (was cheaper than buying them separately) but it's a shame they're discontinuing it. The MSDN subscription includes less (all Microsoft OS's is the base package $700) in my opinion, and the cheapest package to include Office is $6119! I have a subscription to Office 365 which includes a download of Office at least.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Dr Tweak
said by Dr Tweak:

I just renewed last month, what a bunch of $%#@%% they could have told me they were discontinuing instead of stealing my money. I'm done with MS, Windows 8 SUCKS and I they just don't seem to get it anymore.

Your subscription is good for the full time you paid for it. How did they steal anything?
--

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by urbanriot:

That was never the intended use for TechNet.

Your point is irrelevant. The intended usage model and the end result are often not inline with how competent IT people complete their tasks in an efficient manner.

At the end of the day it's considered a 'resource' and the IT community just lost a resource. Case closed.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to Oregonian
At risk of being flamed, which I'm sure I will, let's be serious here. Many (I'll venture to say MOST) people using the Technet software are not using it for the purposes it exists - evaluation only. The posts here affirm that view. Most of the products on Technet are available for a minimum 30 day trial, most much longer - that is enough for evaluation. If not, just reinstall the trial again.

If you are a software developer and need more time with it and access to older OS's and software, the cost of MSDN shouldn't be an issue.

izy
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
kudos:2
said by craig70130:

If you are a software developer and need more time with it and access to older OS's and software, the cost of MSDN shouldn't be an issue.

lolz, yeah software developers can all afford MSDN subscriptions...! flame on!
--
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." Einstein

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Oregonian
Possibly related to the TechNet cancellation, reviewing the email address in which I receive all my Microsoft communications, it seems they're also discontinuing some newsletters I've unintentionally subscribed to as well. My inbox has three 'final issue' notifications.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to izy
said by izy:

lolz, yeah software developers can all afford MSDN subscriptions...! flame on!

Slashdot commentators posted similar comments - »tech.slashdot.org/story/13/07/01···-service

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to Oregonian
Just another blunderous move in the 'Year of Crapping on your Customers' by Ballmer et al.

That dude needs to go.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to Oregonian
I'm in total shock and awe at the moment. I'm speechless

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to craig70130
said by craig70130:

I used to work for a small company that employed less than 10 people, all of which specialized exclusively in Microsoft solutions. The cost of MSDN ($700 for the base, $6000 for the worthwhile package) is a lot to swing annually for a small business that has a lot of other expenses like, you know, rent, healthcare, and operating expenses (cause those have all gone down recently ).

BillRoland
Premium
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

Just another blunderous move in the 'Year of Crapping on your Customers' by Ballmer et al.

That dude needs to go.

It almost seems Steve Ballmer is posting in this thread, too.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))