to treich

Re: Solar Tower

thanks for you help
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

LLigetfa

Am I blind or is there no guy wires? If so, you don't need anti-climb shields... only a crazy person would climb it.
jmcdonald521
join:2013-07-01

1 edit

jmcdonald521

thanks for you help
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

LLigetfa

said by jmcdonald521:

Well call me crazy...lol...

I already did. You'd never get me to climb it and I've been called crazy too.

What brand and model of tower is it?
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to jmcdonald521

to jmcdonald521
said by jmcdonald521:

There is only 50ft of tower and I have two separate engineer friends who I gave detailed plans to separately and they both said it was good to go.

You need new friends. That is a huge liability and is unsafe. Swimming pool and kids toys in the not so far background? How you can sleep at night is beyond me.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to jmcdonald521

to jmcdonald521
said by jmcdonald521:

I am just using marine batteries from wal-mart right now. $108.90 tax included.

I see several wires going into that toolbox which I assume also holds the batteries so suspect electronics inside. Are you not concerned about corrosion from the batteries off-gassing?
jmcdonald521

1 edit

jmcdonald521 to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
thanks for you help
jmcdonald521

1 edit

jmcdonald521

thanks for you help
cfabe
join:2003-03-07
USA

cfabe to jmcdonald521

to jmcdonald521
The foundation looks well done, getting soil tests is great, but 25G is not rated for self support above 40ft. Period. You need to guy it. In current configuration it will fail near the base in the first strong thunderstorm with winds in the 60mph+ range.

Look here: »www.rohnnet.com/rohn-g-s ··· ng-tower

Read the brochure, you will see 25G rated for 1.5 sqft of antenna at 40ft, nothing higher.

You can fix this easily and quickly. At 60ft with your small antenna load even one set of guys at 40-45ft would put you in MUCH better shape. Even just some $15 4-foot screw-in anchors and 3/16" cable from the hardware store would be a decent solution, if that's all you have available. Under $200 and maybe 2 hours time.

I've built about 40 25G towers, as tall as 160ft. They can be an excellent value in towers for a WISP, you can cheat the spec a bit on shorter towers, but you're pushing it too far on this one. I don't know you and don't have any interest in whether your tower fails. Just trying to offer advice to help the overall WISP community. Take it or leave it I guess. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Remember, all the specs are without ice loading. If the angle of the solar is any indication of latitude, one needs to factor ice as well.

That first section stuck in concrete like that is very disconcerting. Around here we see bollards shear off from freeze expansion.
jmcdonald521

1 edit

jmcdonald521

thanks for you help
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to jmcdonald521

to jmcdonald521

said by jmcdonald521 See Profile
It is not unsafe my friend. All numbers were calculated including soil samples from the ground the tower was installed in. I think it is quite humorous how much you have assumed from a couple of pictures.

Sometimes all you need to see is a couple pictures. You're all fine and good until somebody dies. There are codes and specs for a reason. Your choosing to ignore them along with all the advice you are getting here shows your lack of experience. IMHO this thread has outlived its usefulness and needs to be locked.