Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

Boo Amazon New Jersey tax

The free ride is over . Amazon.com now charges tax in New Jersey as of July 1st.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am ··· w_Jersey

Might make the local B&M stores more attractive now. I've had HH Gregg price match Amazons no tax price before though.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

Welcome to the club. We've been paying them for a year.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
Yep. TX got this some time back. It still sucks when I go to check out and am reminded that there is sales tax on the order.

Even so, the primary reason I order stuff from Amazon is because I can't find it locally. That's not going to change just because Amazon is charging sales tax.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
There was never a free ride unless you're one of the people who neglected to pay a use tax with your NJ state tax return.

You should hope that Amazon never shares past sales information with the state. It would suck to be caught owing taxes + penalties + interest.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
Not sure about New Jersey, but here in New York, sales tax is not charged when buying from third party retailers on Amazon who have no property in NY State. With most of the items I’ve purchased over the years, I’ve found it’s usually cheaper to shop the Amazon Marketplace rather than buy from Amazon directly and it no tax being charged it only makes it that much cheaper. With all of the things I've ordered on Amazon, if I've paid sales tax on more then two or 3 items I'd be shocked.

Fuck this idiotic state!
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave to Fir_Na_Tine

to Fir_Na_Tine
Amazon soon will be charging sales tax in most states. They are building local distribution centers everywhere to support same day delivery of orders placed before a certain time that day. So you could order a DVD in the morning and have it waiting at your house when you get home from work.

TD
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
Charging, and expecting others to pay sales tax for goods bought outside of their state shouldn't be enforced. I'm in one of the states which still doesn't have a sales tax, and unless they lower, otherwise drop property taxes we will not vote it in. Some states are so greedy when you buy something like a car you're expected to pay them a percentage of the value of the car you bought in another state as you didn't pay sales tax in that state when you register/renew it.

People come to our state to buy items all the time to avoid sales tax, there's a mall right across the state line who takes advantage of this. Want to buy that nice hdtv? Avoid paying an estimated $200 in tax on that $2500 hdtv.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Fir_Na_Tine

MVM

to Fir_Na_Tine
Could be worse:
quote:
By Jackie Borchardt - Columbus Bureau

COLUMBUS —

Ohioans who turn to the Internet to buy big-ticket items such as TVs and jewelry and avoid paying sales tax may soon find the total price in their online cart to be about the same as they would pay in a traditional store.
What is really odd is our governor is of a certain party that does not like taxes... hmmmmmm.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Fir_Na_Tine

MVM

to Fir_Na_Tine
I feel your pain when PA got hit. Now since being taxed, I try many alternate retailers for a cheaper price weighing in the tax factor

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
I have found that some things on Amazon are actually more expensive than in stores. It's not always cheaper online. (Regardless of the tax issue).

And yes - if you purchased stuff without paying tax technically and legally you do owe that tax to your state taxing authority in many states -- it's called a "use tax" in lieu of the ability to call it sales tax since it's not charged at the time of sale.

Amazon dropped a bunch of Minnesota based sellers from its authority so it wouldn't have to charge sales tax to Minnesota-based buyers. Soon it will be a moot point as the federal law kicks in and requires all online retailers to charge tax regardless of having a physical footprint in a specific state.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
Nobody I have ever known has ever reported their internet buying to the state. I doubt most consumers even knew they were charged sales tax or even technically owed it because most shopped online because they could do it from their office or their sofa.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

I sure do. It's 20 or 30 bucks a year but I'd hate to be the guy who gets audited over something like this because the state gets a list from Amazon or Paypal sometime down the road.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

I doubt most consumers even knew they were charged sales tax or even technically owed it because most shopped online because they could do it from their office or their sofa.

No-one ever actually reads the instructions for their state income tax form? No-one even wonders what that line labelled 'use tax' on the form means?

(Must be the same sort of people that hit 'OK' on pop-up dialogue boxes without reading what they just agreed to).
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to Fir_Na_Tine

to Fir_Na_Tine
said by Fir_Na_Tine:

The free ride is over . Amazon.com now charges tax in New Jersey as of July 1st.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am ··· w_Jersey

Might make the local B&M stores more attractive now. I've had HH Gregg price match Amazons no tax price before though.

I don't know why everyone is up in arms over this. All it means is that you will no longer need to keep track of your purchases and include that amount on your state tax return under the line: use tax.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

They are 'up in arms' over having to pay tax for internet charges - period. That was one of the benefits of buying on the internet.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by CylonRed:

They are 'up in arms' over having to pay tax for internet charges - period. That was one of the benefits of buying on the internet.

But they were required by law to do so. By not submitting use tax you are basically committing tax evasion. With this new law in place they are helping you stay legal. Its a win-win.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

For folks who do not think they should be charged a state sales tan for purchases made over the internet and possibly NOT in the state don't think it is a win-win. They believe that internet purchases should not be charged a sales tax - period. This is what they are 'up in arms' about - not sure why you are having difficulty with the idea.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Fir_Na_Tine

to Fir_Na_Tine
Being Canadian means that we've always gotten whacked on taxes whether online or brick & mortar and frankly I didn't have a problem with that.

Whether you buy something in a B&M store or online, you've bought *something* and as per the law have to pay the "sales tax" AKA "Consumption Tax"

You can argue about whether it should be charged at the rate for your home state or where the business you purchased from is located, but you cannot argue that you didn't make the purchase at all.

NefCanuck

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Fir_Na_Tine

MVM

to Fir_Na_Tine
This is not to the OP, but generally to this topic: Why discuss ethics about paying sales tax. If you want to be uber honest & report your online sales tax, do it; that's great. For others, we can live with catching a break not having an online retailer raping you for the state sales tax. I don't judge people who want to be extremely honest; so why judge those who just roll with the system?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

They believe that internet purchases should not be charged a sales tax - period.

But they didn't previously get to pay or not pay based on what they 'believed'. So they're 'up in arms' about a falsehood.

(I can understand the did-not-previously-pay-tax-owed part of it, but I can't understand the never-read-the-tax-instructions part)

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
Starts Nov 1 here in CT.. I bet you people will stop buying those 150 Lb grills now from Amazon, I'm curious on how much the volume will drop at UPS because of this.. it's like every other package here..

Having said that I preordered the PS4 on Amazon so by the time it ships the new tax law will be in effect so I guess that means tax on the PS4..
Subaru

Subaru to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Charging, and expecting others to pay sales tax for goods bought outside of their state shouldn't be enforced. I'm in one of the states which still doesn't have a sales tax, and unless they lower, otherwise drop property taxes we will not vote it in. Some states are so greedy when you buy something like a car you're expected to pay them a percentage of the value of the car you bought in another state as you didn't pay sales tax in that state when you register/renew it.

People come to our state to buy items all the time to avoid sales tax, there's a mall right across the state line who takes advantage of this. Want to buy that nice hdtv? Avoid paying an estimated $200 in tax on that $2500 hdtv.

NH? I've heard of people preordering a PS4 in New Hampshire just for the no sales tax.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

This is not to the OP, but generally to this topic: Why discuss ethics about paying sales tax. If you want to be uber honest & report your online sales tax, do it; that's great. For others, we can live with catching a break not having an online retailer raping you for the state sales tax. I don't judge people who want to be extremely honest; so why judge those who just roll with the system?

Maybe they consider that those who use government services without paying for them are overburdening the tax base...
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

For folks who do not think they should be charged a state sales tan for purchases made over the internet and possibly NOT in the state don't think it is a win-win. They believe that internet purchases should not be charged a sales tax - period. This is what they are 'up in arms' about - not sure why you are having difficulty with the idea.

What you are missing/ignoring is that they should have been paying it ANYWAY! The no tax on Internet purchases was not a free ride, most if not all are required by law to include non taxed purchases used in the state and not resold under a sales tax license on the state income tax form and pay said tax. So I guess if you avoid taxes I can see your point. For the rest of us who have to maintain a list of items purchased out of state and pay it in a lump sum at the end of the year, its a Win-Win.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

States collecting tax on online purchases on state tax forms has been recent. They have not been doing it since online purchasing came about. Avoiding state tax was always a selling point when online stores started to take off.

Personally - I am not sure why I should pay state sales tax for a purchase at a store NOT in the state. If an entity not in the state sold me something, why in the heck does my state think they should get a dime in sales tax?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

1) Because any tax is a way to raise revenue, and if the tax stops raising the necessary revenue, they'll move the tax load elsewhere. Thus you get to choose whether you pay 'sales tax' or 'use tax'. You've apparently become habituated to a sales tax so you think it's normal; as I see it, it's not more or less normal than a use tax (though 'use tax' is a silly name - 'import tax' might be better).

2) Because having sales move out of state is detrimental to the economic viability of the state, irrespective of the taxation issue. Imposing a use tax levels the playing field a little (there's still a disparity between internet megastores and local operations, but that's not entirely fixable by taxation).

3) This is yet another artifact of the USA operating in part like it was 50 separate countries, each with their own laws.

===
I don't actually want to pay a 'use tax', but I have little patience for the argument that it is somehow unfair. It seems rather similar to the complaint that it is 'unfair' having to pay a speeding fine if they catch you.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

If a state loses too much sales tax revenues, they'll just raise the income tax. I find it bizarre that a lot of people claiming that income tax is regressive and that consumption tax is better complain when they have to pay consumption tax.

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue to dave

to dave
said by dave:

I don't actually want to pay a 'use tax', but I have little patience for the argument that it is somehow unfair. It seems rather similar to the complaint that it is 'unfair' having to pay a speeding fine if they catch you.

It's generally the lower, lower middle class guy that thinks the tax is unfair and I believe it is because he thought he had finally found a bit of tax advantage that the more "well to do" guy had always had with creative tax attorneys and CPA's.

Further sales taxes are considered regressive because they fall more heavily on the poor and those with less disposable income, who typically spend nearly all their money on everyday necessities. Indeed I know people who are Subscribe & Save buyers at Amazon for products which include everything from dish liquid to toothpaste.

I think the "insult to injury" for the average Joe is that he knows that when the states start collecting all this money from increased sales tax revenues, that every other single type of tax will remain at their current level, and he is screwed again.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

States collecting tax on online purchases on state tax forms has been recent. They have not been doing it since online purchasing came about. Avoiding state tax was always a selling point when online stores started to take off.

Personally - I am not sure why I should pay state sales tax for a purchase at a store NOT in the state. If an entity not in the state sold me something, why in the heck does my state think they should get a dime in sales tax?

Use tax in the state of PA is hardy new. Might want to check to see when your state started collecting use tax, you might just be surprised.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Not sure about New Jersey, but here in New York, sales tax is not charged when buying from third party retailers on Amazon who have no property in NY State. With most of the items I’ve purchased over the years, I’ve found it’s usually cheaper to shop the Amazon Marketplace rather than buy from Amazon directly and it no tax being charged it only makes it that much cheaper. With all of the things I've ordered on Amazon, if I've paid sales tax on more then two or 3 items I'd be shocked.

Fuck this idiotic state!

Its the same way in Texas. Amazon its self charges taxes, but third parties do not unless they are in Texas also.