share rss forum feed

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12
reply to Melissa2009B

Re: [Connectivity] Alternative to Comncast? I'm furious!

From the log files it looks like you have signal issues, downstream and upstream, but I can tell if it's strength or noise related. You'll probably need a Comcast on site to diagnose further. Phone support should be able to see the signal level issues IF you just tell them the modem lights keep cycling and you're losing connection. Don't mention any business, wireless, or other complications. It'll just sidetrack and confuse the situation.

Also, can you post a screenshot from the "diagnostic tools" menu:

--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

said by DrDrew:

From the log files it looks like you have signal issues, downstream and upstream, but I can tell if it's strength or noise related. You'll probably need a Comcast on site to diagnose further. Phone support should be able to see the signal level issues IF you just tell them the modem lights keep cycling and you're losing connection. Don't mention any business, wireless, or other complications. It'll just sidetrack and confuse the situation.

Also, can you post a screenshot from the "diagnostic tools" menu:
[att=1]

»lakewoodcolorado.net/photos/TG86···2-13.jpg

I won't mess with their support with this. As soon as they find out it's wireless, they refuse it. Even if a tech comes out, that word makes them jive talk me.

robwiljas

join:2008-09-05
Everett, WA
reply to Melissa2009B

The modem stats are at »192.168.100.1 please post a screen shot of that page.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

said by robwiljas:

The modem stats are at »192.168.100.1 please post a screen shot of that page.

»lakewoodcolorado.net/photos/TG86···2-13.jpg

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
SoCal
reply to Melissa2009B

said by Melissa2009B:

I won't mess with their support with this. As soon as they find out it's wireless, they refuse it. Even if a tech comes out, that word makes them jive talk me.

If you want this fixed, you're going to have to cooperate with their support on this. FIND a way to connect it with wired ethernet at least temporarily. Wireless in many situations is iffy and prone to issues, it's best to rule it out ASAP just to be able to move on to other possible problems.

Right now the signal levels you posted are fine and shouldn't be causing a problem, so it may be an intermittent signal strength or noise issue.

Can you post a tracert to www.comcast.com ?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

1 edit

»lakewoodcolorado.net/photos/TG86···cert.jpg

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

»lakewoodcolorado.net/photos/TG86···20PM.jpg

spud

join:2007-03-24
Constantine, MI
reply to Melissa2009B

said by Melissa2009B:

There ARE no wired connections. Comcast set up the whole deal about 9 mo ago. Their cable comes into a high up shelf in the kitchen (for best wireless coverage, I put up a wood shelf)

Like near the microwave oven up high near the fluorescent light
You really need at least 1 wired connection
For a test a Barrel Connector some coax and move it to one end of the house and see what happens microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, wireless video cameras, outdoor microwave links, wireless game controllers, Zigbee devices, fluorescent lights, WiMAX, and so on. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.
At 25 feet from the AP or client, a microwave oven was found to degrade data throughput by 64 percent and an analog phone and video camera both degraded throughput by 100 percent (in other words, no ability to connect). it is no longer obvious what might be a source of interference-wireless links are now embedded in watches, shoes, MP3 players,A new breed of hybrid motion detectors uses a combination of passive infrared sensor (PIR) and 2.4-GHz radar to detect motion. Jupiter Research reports 67 percent of all residential Wi-Fi problems are linked to interfering devices,
I was just at a friends house his Wireless was next to the baby monitor And I think him and everyone in the trailer park was on channel 1

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
SoCal
reply to Melissa2009B

The really low speed tests are odd considering the modem levels and tracert you posted, which were good when captured them. That slow could be a wireless issue, but you can't tell unless you TRY a direct wired ethernet connection.

This sort of thing is troubleshooting 101... any ISP you signup with will go through similar steps. If you don't cooperate with the basic steps, it's difficult to help you with your issues and problems drag on.
--

quesix

join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
reply to Melissa2009B

you should recheck that 192.168.100.1 page while problem is occuring and see if power levels (dbm) get worse. make sure modem is on first coax splitter for maximum power.

I also notice no one seems to have mentioned "Ethernet over power" these adapters use your electrical plugs as a network hub with newer devices capable of reaching decent speeds comparable to normal 100m wired conections (85/200m models). do not run thru power strips/UPS but direct to plug for best results, as a single power strip can reduce speed from 85m to 20m.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

The really low speed tests are odd considering the modem levels and tracert you posted, which were good when captured them. That slow could be a wireless issue, but you can't tell unless you TRY a direct wired ethernet connection.

This sort of thing is troubleshooting 101... any ISP you signup with will go through similar steps. If you don't cooperate with the basic steps, it's difficult to help you with your issues and problems drag on.

people have been trying to tell her to run a wire from a pc to the modem directly and observe if it still disconnects...but she wouldn't listen....or try....

people have been suggesting that the wireless signals are the issue coming from the modem but she keeps on ranting out that it's Comcast fault rather than go around it and help her self....

I can't understand why she can't run a wire in her house when she keeps complaining about the wireless signals and is very adamant that wires can't be run....if she's in a house, there will always be a way to run it....heck, even in an apartment....

cpalindc
Premium
join:2011-06-05
Washington, DC
reply to Melissa2009B

How's that being furious working out for you? Solve all your technical issues? Obviously, you have others...

Trebonious
Premium
join:2001-06-29
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Melissa2009B

said by DrDrew:

Agreed. Work with them.

To the OP: If you can't run wires to test the connection another step would be to simply move your computer closer to the modem. Laptop preferable for this but not out of the question to temporarily relocate a desktop machine for the same purpose of testing.

If speeds are bad 30 feet away but are great close up. You can almost guarantee the issue is a wireless based one.

As already suggested the wireless needs to be ruled out before any further steps are taken. Comcast has no obligation to how well your wireless connection handles the construction, saturation, or placement of your modem. A lot of factors can cause degraded signal over 9 months. Most have to do with over saturation of a certain channel or failing hardware.

As for the reasoning behind mentioning anything related to business is irrelevant in your situation. It amazes me how many times I have heard someone say "I'm losing thousands of dollars because this connection is down." yet have no means of a backup connection if it is that important. Bottom line: Running a business has no correlation on how your line is performing nor will it suddenly cause them to find a fix.

Problem Resolution: Discover, Investigate, & Fix.

Discover: You've seen slow speeds not in line with what you're paying for.

Investigate: Rule out wireless (run a wire temporarily or try changing your pc location), Communicate with the Comcast techs (they are there to help so be patient with them) and avoid the use of Business/Wireless as it's not something they will assist with, and follow advice that was already given here in the forum.

Fix: That will be determined on a number of factors. If the issue improves from moving your PC or connecting wired you know it's a wireless issue. (Be it the card or the modem is yet another problem to diagnose) If the issues remain after ruling out wireless it will more than likely need investigation by Comcast.

Most of what I have said was already said. Take that for what it's worth.

medbuyer

1 recommendation

reply to Melissa2009B

she wanted wireless...she got wireless...

»Re: [Speed] May have to switch to Comcast

everybody told her before that "all in one" gateways are a bad idea...she didn't listen...

and with her limited networking / pc skills...

I'm all for helping people...but if the person you're trying to help really doesn't want to be helped at all...that's different...

I will say this again, I think it's easier for her to pay somebody who actually knows what to do with her devices at home, configure it for her and get it working....

That way, people here won't end up pulling their own hair after getting frustrated of trying to help her....

spud

Constantine, MI
reply to medbuyer

said by Melissa2009B:

said by medbuyer:

people have been trying to tell her to run a wire from a pc to the modem directly and observe if it still disconnects...but she wouldn't listen....or try....

people have been suggesting that the wireless signals are the issue coming from the modem but she keeps on ranting out that it's Comcast fault rather than go around it and help her self....

I can't understand why she can't run a wire in her house when she keeps complaining about the wireless signals and is very adamant that wires can't be run....if she's in a house, there will always be a way to run it....heck, even in an apartment....

Or why it has to be in the kitchen up high Like that's going to help
A typical wireless access point using 802.11b or 802.11g with a stock antenna might have a range of 120 ft indoors she has a 80' house and has 802.11n that should double the range move it to one end where you can easily plug in Ethernet

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to medbuyer

Agree with there is always a way to run wire.
I have had situations that I have had to run them in a cold air return, which is allowed by code in our state if you use plenum wire.
There is wire mold and many other ways. So never say never when it comes to wire.
It appears the lady is bent on blaming Comcast rather than looking for the best solution no matter who's at fault.

medbuyer

reply to Melissa2009B

she even went to the extent of buying a separate wireless router...

but still, with her limited skills and trying to make it work but doesn't have a clue will be really futile....

all of this when she signed up for Comcast back 07/2012 wanting more speed compared to her Centurylink dsl...

she even tried to install the Netgear again this year...

»[Connectivity] Tried installing a Netgear WNR3500 on my TG862. F

but still....everything seems way too much for her.....

Pay someone Melissa2009B See Profile...it will be worth it...tack it as a business expense on your home based business...

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
SoCal
reply to medbuyer

There could be multiple issues.... a modem signal issues causing modem disconnects and a wireless issue causing slow speeds. I see some signs of both.

medbuyer

said by DrDrew:

There could be multiple issues.... a modem signal issues causing modem disconnects and a wireless issue causing slow speeds. I see some signs of both.

when she signed up and got her HSI installed, everything worked fine for her.....it was the wireless signals that keep on disconnecting her that's been her nemesis....

everybody told her to get this reliable modem and this reliable wireless router BUT she didn't listen... even after buying a wireless router, she couldn't for the life of her figure out how to configure her network.......she's got 2 pc's, 2 roku's a GBTV and some cameras around her house...all of which she's trying to run wirelessly...all because she didn't want to run wires...

my money is on the TG682 and that's been chronicled here extensively together with her tech troubleshooting skills...

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to spud

said by spud:

said by Melissa2009B:

There ARE no wired connections. Comcast set up the whole deal about 9 mo ago. Their cable comes into a high up shelf in the kitchen (for best wireless coverage, I put up a wood shelf)

Like near the microwave oven up high near the fluorescent light
You really need at least 1 wired connection
For a test a Barrel Connector some coax and move it to one end of the house and see what happens microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, wireless video cameras, outdoor microwave links, wireless game controllers, Zigbee devices, fluorescent lights, WiMAX, and so on. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.
At 25 feet from the AP or client, a microwave oven was found to degrade data throughput by 64 percent and an analog phone and video camera both degraded throughput by 100 percent (in other words, no ability to connect). it is no longer obvious what might be a source of interference-wireless links are now embedded in watches, shoes, MP3 players,A new breed of hybrid motion detectors uses a combination of passive infrared sensor (PIR) and 2.4-GHz radar to detect motion. Jupiter Research reports 67 percent of all residential Wi-Fi problems are linked to interfering devices,
I was just at a friends house his Wireless was next to the baby monitor And I think him and everyone in the trailer park was on channel 1

Cool theory but the kitchen lights and microwave haven't been on when this is happening. But I suppose it could be other local interference. Looks like we should just hire someone to run ether net cables to all 4 devices in all the rooms, then at least Comcast wouldn't have any more excuses.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

Yeah, and random radio frequency interference could account for all of this, as it happens pretty randomly, then stops. Spud's theory could be right.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to quesix

said by quesix:

you should recheck that 192.168.100.1 page while problem is occuring and see if power levels (dbm) get worse. make sure modem is on first coax splitter for maximum power.

Not sure what you mean about splitters. As far as I know, there are no splitters here.

I also notice no one seems to have mentioned "Ethernet over power" these adapters use your electrical plugs as a network hub with newer devices capable of reaching decent speeds comparable to normal 100m wired conections (85/200m models). do not run thru power strips/UPS but direct to plug for best results, as a single power strip can reduce speed from 85m to 20m.

Confused...

quesix

Cary, IL
reply to Melissa2009B

splitters like this one used to split cable for multiple TVs Cable Boxes Phone Service and internet.

»files.cablewholesale.com/prodima···-202.jpg

You said running wires was not an option "Ethernet over Power" is an alternative to wireless. ask sales person in your local computer store about "Ethernet over Power".

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

said by quesix:

splitters like this one used to split cable for multiple TVs Cable Boxes Phone Service and internet.

»files.cablewholesale.com/prodima···-202.jpg

You said running wires was not an option "Ethernet over Power" is an alternative to wireless. ask sales person in your local computer store about "Ethernet over Power".

OK, I think I just got what that is. Like when they do wireless intercoms over power lines. It works pretty badly then, and when the two halves of this modular house were connected, it seems that Mr. Bad Builder used different phases of the power to power each half of the house, so the intercoms have never worked either.

Ethernet was kind of out of the question, before this discussion, because it would probably be costly to have someone in the crawl space running cables, but it's looking like the only real solution, if this is an RFI problem with the wireless modem.

spud

Constantine, MI
reply to medbuyer

Interesting read
Why OH why run it to the Kitchen when you never had cable
And there is nothing in there for it but lots of interference what else is on the self you know 3' up isn't doing anything upper floor yes 3' from the wall might.
Also away from metal appliances
like say a... stove or refrigerator even a toaster oven add microwave oven some fluorescent lights ya the kitchens the idea place
Your Roku player would stream better over Ethernet network using an Ethernet cable
run Comcast cable close one of them WiFi to the other a quick Google
found plenty running a TG682 over 100' full signal just as many not if you can't then find the interference
ARRIS clams 100'G to 200'N indoors
So you have a wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay
That could do it Wonder what else
I agree asking one box to do it all is to much and cable is easy to run
How many times have you called GBTV and Comcast support because of your WiFi that may of be caused by a no name wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay or your microwave oven next to your TG682
Have you even logged into the Comcast wireless router and even changed the channel/frequency

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
SoCal

1 edit
reply to quesix

said by quesix:

Personally I'd stay away from that too, especially for troubleshooting purposes. It's just another questionable connection prone to interference like wireless. Tech support will not trust it and ask for a direct connect to the modem since it's the most reliable.

Any reason why Comcast can't run another coax outlet to relocate the modem so you can direct connect the modem to at least 1 PC? They'll charge less than an electrical or low voltage guy to run ethernet.
--

medbuyer

reply to Melissa2009B

said by Melissa2009B:

Looks like we should just hire someone to run ether net cables to all 4 devices in all the rooms, then at least Comcast wouldn't have any more excuses.

ding ding ding ding...

ohh....pleasee do that....hire somebody...

I would disregard all other suggested solutions...run that wire and get it to work...people have been telling you this!

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to spud

said by spud:

Interesting read
Why OH why run it to the Kitchen when you never had cable

I'm a former electronics R&D technician and ham radio operator from years ago. My reasoning was that this house is about 80 feet long by 30 feet wide. We have Roku boxes in 2 bedrooms at opposite ends of the house, and PC's nearer to the kitchen than the Rokus are. The kitchen was the most centrally located point though, for all of it, and I figured that, being the wireless is in the Ghz region, RFI wouldn't be that much of a concern, and putting it up high would cover better. ( we have no basement here, just the crawl space )

As far as kitchen lights, they're VERY rarely on, and the microwave is rarely used. I suspect that if this is RFI, it's coming in from somewhere else outside the house, as there seems to be nothing going on at the times when this happens, here in the house.

As far as distance from the appliances you mentioned, this is a distance from any. They're all at least 12 feet away and this is at the center line of the house. It IS against a small wall, though.

... Your Roku player would stream better over Ethernet network using an Ethernet cable

Perhaps, BUT we bought wireless Roku players and would have to buy new ones if we switched to ether net. This could get costly.

run Comcast cable close one of them WiFi to the other

Was that the end of sentence? I'm confused here...

a quick Google
found plenty running a TG682 over 100' full signal just as many not if you can't then find the interference
ARRIS clams 100'G to 200'N indoors

OK, but finding the interference could be a problem, if it comes from outside.

So you have a wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay
That could do it

Nope, don't have one yet, but would like one.

Wonder what else
I agree asking one box to do it all is to much and cable is easy to run

Like I said though, we have this modular house on a foundation, with insulation still up under the floor, and plastic sheet covering it, in the crawl space. Would have to pay a tech to come in and run all that cable, in those conditions.

How many times have you called GBTV and Comcast support because of your WiFi that may of be caused by a no name wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay or your microwave oven next to your TG682
Have you even logged into the Comcast wireless router and even changed the channel/frequency

The Comcast modem has had to be rebooted about once a week anyway, so I'm still not 100% certain that these problems arent coming from them. But we run into the wall every time, because they just won support wireless. I think I have tried changing the frequency, yes, didn't help. Don't recall now, it's been 9 months.

medbuyer

1 edit

said by Melissa2009B:

Like I said though, we have this modular house on a foundation, with insulation still up under the floor, and plastic sheet covering it, in the crawl space. Would have to pay a tech to come in and run all that cable, in those conditions.

did it ever occur to you that you can run wires in the attic?

said by Melissa2009B:

I'm a former electronics R&D technician and ham radio operator from years ago. My reasoning was that this house is about 80 feet long by 30 feet wide. We have Roku boxes in 2 bedrooms at opposite ends of the house, and PC's nearer to the kitchen than the Rokus are. The kitchen was the most centrally located point though, for all of it, and I figured that, being the wireless is in the Ghz region, RFI wouldn't be that much of a concern, and putting it up high would cover better. ( we have no basement here, just the crawl space )

I would relocate that modem location as well as that was a purely misguided thought.

quesix

Cary, IL
reply to Melissa2009B

as far as finding interference, do you have a smart phone? there are android and iphone apps to detect other wireless networks. search for free "wifi analyzer" in your app store. This can at least rule out too many nearby 802.11b/g/n 2.4Ghz type networks as cause.