share rss forum feed

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to Melissa2009B

Re: [Connectivity] Alternative to Comncast? I'm furious!

You could relocate the modem to one end of your home where it can be hardwired to a PC. Then when you get a chance, run ethernet to the other end of your home and connect it to the wireless router you have. Set that router up as an AP, match the wireless network SSIDs between them, and you've got a 2 node mesh. Better wireless coverage, with wired ports available on either end of the home, and just a single long ethernet between them.

It's what I do at my own home... with a Netgear WNR3500 router.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO
reply to quesix

said by quesix:

as far as finding interference, do you have a smart phone? there are android and iphone apps to detect other wireless networks. search for free "wifi analyzer" in your app store. This can at least rule out too many nearby 802.11b/g/n 2.4Ghz type networks as cause.

No, just a plain old Samsung cell phone in my purse, about 6 feet away.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

You could relocate the modem to one end of your home where it can be hardwired to a PC. Then when you get a chance, run ethernet to the other end of your home and connect it to the wireless router you have. Set that router up as an AP, match the wireless network SSIDs between them, and you've got a 2 node mesh. Better wireless coverage, with wired ports available on either end of the home, and just a single long ethernet between them.

Sounds complicated. The TG862 is a modem that can be bridged to a router but the router isn't stand alone, so this is confusing me.

Anyway, we may just have to have someone run ethernet cables to the two PC's and then buy ethernet Rokus. Sounds costly.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by Melissa2009B:

Sounds complicated. The TG862 is a modem that can be bridged to a router but the router isn't stand alone, so this is confusing me.

The TG862 is a modem/router. The other Netgear you have can be changed to AP (access point) mode which basically turns off the router/firewall/DHCP/DNS functions, but still allows use of the wireless and ethernet ports. All the firewall/router/DHCP/DNS settings are done on the TG862.

If it's too complicated, you're going to have to spend the cash to wire back to the one location where the TG862 is.

BEFORE doing that, temp wire the modem to one PC and see if the speed and other connection issues are still a problem. Some or all problems may still occur, depending on what is ACTUALLY wrong.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Melissa2009B

said by Melissa2009B:

said by DrDrew:

Anyway, we may just have to have someone run ethernet cables to the two PC's and then buy ethernet Rokus. Sounds costly.

the simpler the solution the better....run a wire...

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

said by Melissa2009B:

The TG862 is a modem/router. The other Netgear you have can be changed to AP (access point) mode which basically turns off the router/firewall/DHCP/DNS functions, but still allows use of the wireless and ethernet ports. All the firewall/router/DHCP/DNS settings are done on the TG862.

If it's too complicated, you're going to have to spend the cash to wire back to the one location where the TG862 is.

BEFORE doing that, temp wire the modem to one PC and see if the speed and other connection issues are still a problem. Some or all problems may still occur, depending on what is ACTUALLY wrong.

++++++111111

»www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=79

"The TG862 combines two analog voice lines, a 4-port Gigabit Router, and a 802.11n wireless access point into a single device capable of supporting both home and small office applications."

let's see if she'll listen to your suggestions about running a temp wire or running any wire at all...

she's been complaining about it being costly and all that but she still whines about the connection issues and blames Comcast for everything.....

mystica

join:2001-10-30
Denver, CO
reply to Melissa2009B

Look. I'm in Denver. I do tech support and troubleshooting for everyone I know.

I offer once and for all, to determine the problem you face - for free - and then charge you very little to fix it. Literally ten dollars an hour would make me happy - and I'd likely be done in 1-2 hours. Heck, offer me a huge pizza from papa johns or something and I'd consider the entire endeavour paid for. At least you won't be wondering where the actual issue lies.

I've also worked at ARRIS for some time around 2008-9, unfortunately in Marketing (I did sales and support, often of a technical nature, for their now defunct YourBroadbandStore) and knew more about their modems and DOCSIS in general than anyone but the engineers in the office - purely from self interest and reading.

Through this job, and the fact Charter eMTA devices had an 800 that routed directly to my desk, I ended up troubleshooting all sorts of random "well, you make the modem, fix it" problems. One part that bugged me the most was the routing software put on these modems: They use third party OEM junk software to run the router half, whereas their modem-half is working quite well on your line, as evidenced by the *amazingly good* signal levels in your recent screenshot.

ARRIS apparently buys from the same OEM that makes the software for Belkin's routers, as the menu structure before Comcast mucks with it was exactly the same. I'm sure you can find a number of bad reviews of such from actual users of Belkin routers; consider the same software making them bad, is likely making your modem+router combo also bad.

Now, don't get me wrong. With Bay Networks, Nortel, and about 10 other engineering R&D teams all smashed together in that company, after tons of corporate mergers, ARRIS makes GREAT radio stuff.

They design GREAT operating systems for their modems..GREAT head-end stuff (The C4 CMTS which Comcast *loves*) and they were doing a right bit proper with their Digital Media Gateway a long time before buying Motorola from Google. That X1 box? I saw marketing literature from our team that described that exact same gateway, 5 years ago.

But the routing functionality of their third-party routing choice, used alongside their great modem for an all-in-one design, is a bad idea. Get a proper modem without routing. These are the TM- series. TG/DG series are all "gateways" and thus route; this is not so good for you and a proper router with better antennas will likely cover the entire place.

And, further, if anyone wonders, I've had a long history with with cable modems since 1999 when first offered in Aurora (and the 3 months of downtime immediately thereafter as their brand new system had tons of bugs) but then later in the TCI/AT&T/Comcast years the reliability, to my house at least, had approached 100% save for the 3 hours every 3 months they turn the entire CMTS off to do stuff.(those things were built to be upgraded with literally NO downtime during the process...beyond 5-nines reliability I think I saw somewhere..)

Then Centurylink started offering 40M DSL for cheaper, and I switched, purely motivated by cost.

Now I moved into an apartment in Downtown Denver and I'm starting my own bloody ISP because nobody in the building (Centurylink and one other guy) is doing a proper job of it. 12M adsl2 from CL? *yawn*. 4x 12M ADSL2 lines bonded into another ISP? WTF?! for a 115 tenant property?!..I digress..

If anyone can find the exact issue, I can, and will fix it for nearly-free as mentioned above.

Please let me know your thoughts.
--
:wq!
Wrote dslreports_forum_post
mike@thor:~>_

xsquid40

join:2010-03-18
Staunton, IL
reply to Melissa2009B

Follow these 3 steps and you will take a huge step to resolving the problem:

Run a temporary ethernet jumper from one of the ethernet ports on the 862 to one of the pc's. (Make one, borrow one, or up to 250' available at cablestogo.com)
When the problem occurs, go to the pc hardwired and see if you have slow/no internet. Run 10 speedtests, write the results down. Note Ping, Down Speed, Up Speed.
Post results. A. it's better, B. it's not

If wireless is the issue, the location of the modem, proximity to other appliances, range, etc all matter. But what to do next all depends on A. or B.

Expand your moderator at work

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

said by Melissa2009B:

Would be very hard to do that. The cable comes in, in the kitchen, to that modem shelf. My PC is on my desk, installed with massive cabling to printers, etc.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to mystica

Mystica: I don't know about all that. I think, at this point, it would be best to just hire someone to run ethernet to both PC's and maybe leave both Roku's wireless, being they won't do either. Probably the simplest, least expensive fix.

But as far as ISP's, maybe I can help you. Have you heard of Forethought.net? I've been with them for MANY years and they're downtown, maybe they can help you?

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA
reply to Melissa2009B

Go out and by a long Ethernet cable, just for testing. I have a 30 foot one I only use for temporary testing between the modem in my living room and the PC in the bedroom.

When the problem is happening run the cable between the gateway and one PC so you can eliminate the wireless as a source of the problem.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Melissa2009B

AFAIK century link bought Qwest, so you may try them. Other than that, unless wave broadband over builds that area in Denver I think your looking at commercial services which cost more. 4G shoudl be pretty good in your area, but your specific location may vary as well.

Of course you could read the FAQ here and see if you can get help that way.

They can put you in touch with corporate complaint center here, if you post signal levels and error logs the techs that work here [some are not techs some are better than tech some are way worse with delusions about max transmit levels in mid 40's etc...] but they all try to help. If all you do is say Comcast sucks you'll just get a bunch that agree but claim they are stuck with them even though the alternatives exist becasue they must have that faster speed and can't go down to 5Mb/s ish DSL/other provider connections.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by flwpwr :

if you post signal levels and error logs the techs that work here [some are not techs some are better than tech some are way worse with delusions about max transmit levels in mid 40's etc...] but they all try to help.

FWIW, I have never seen anyone here say that "max transmit levels should be in the mid 40's"... I have seen and recommend myself that the preferred power level should be in the mid 40's to allow for some wiggle room...
Expand your moderator at work

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to Melissa2009B

Why can't you temporarily hard wire one computer or laptop? Just to rule out wireless issues. Without doing that one simple thing you will only be frustrating and negating any help you can get here.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

gwbuffalo

join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Melissa2009B

said by Melissa2009B:

Would be very hard to do that. The cable comes in, in the kitchen, to that modem shelf. My PC is on my desk, installed with massive cabling to printers, etc.

Are you REALLY saying it is too hard to plug an Ethernet cable into your PC?? At this point I really don't understand why anyone is offering you help at all.
--
»twitter.com/darrenoneill »alt-this.com