spc
uniqs
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to Thaler

to Thaler

Re: Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

said by Thaler:

Maybe this explains why many of the marine folk I bump into are of the "You posted WHAT to Facebook?" off base. They need someone to teach them safe practices. The official abstinence program fails to be practical after hours.

Not quite sure what you mean regarding "the Marine folk" posting. The ban is in actuality only when using DOD computers as this quote from the article states: "The order doesn't affect Marines' private use of such networks on personal computers outside of their jobs."

If you're saying that Marines as well as other servicemembers need to be schooled in those safe practices for both on and off duty, then I wholeheartedly concur. We are definitely living in a computer age and possessing computer skills is an absolute necessity not only in civilian life but in the armed forces as well.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Thaler

Premium Member

said by scelli:

Not quite sure what you mean regarding "the Marine folk" posting.

I visit friends and associates down near Camp Pendleton - typically young and/or beginning recruits. Regardless of age though, they are almost all "green" when it comes to social networks. Many of them pretty much put up everything they do up on their personal pages.
said by scelli:

If you're saying that Marines as well as other servicemembers need to be schooled in those safe practices for both on and off duty, then I wholeheartedly concur. We are definitely living in a computer age and possessing computer skills is an absolute necessity not only in civilian life but in the armed forces as well.

Pretty much this. Staying off the grid entirely is both difficult and impractical - I wouldn't expect anyone to cease socializing with friends & family over popular mediums. Teaching awareness of one's social network presence is a much more feasible safety option for the average computer user today.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by Thaler:

I visit friends and associates down near Camp Pendleton - typically young and/or beginning recruits. Regardless of age though, they are almost all "green" when it comes to social networks. Many of them pretty much put up everything they do up on their personal pages.

There's lot of green Marines and other service members as well around that humongous MCB Camp Pendleton area (which also encompasses MCRD San Diego) and they're quite prone to consider themselves old salts both in military matters as well as life itself, a fallacy which always catches up with them sooner or later. I can vouch from experience to that one, having had my supposedly invincible self end up all too many times on the MP blotter report for various mischief during much younger 1st Marine Division days decades ago!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by scelli:

I can vouch from experience to that one, having had my supposedly invincible self end up all too many times on the MP blotter report for various mischief during much younger 1st Marine Division days decades ago!

Had I accepted an offer, could have been my blotter entry.

Alas, I chose the CA-ANG, and and an MOS change to Signal Corps ... from U.S. Army MP Corps.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by NormanS:

said by scelli:

I can vouch from experience to that one, having had my supposedly invincible self end up all too many times on the MP blotter report for various mischief during much younger 1st Marine Division days decades ago!

Had I accepted an offer, could have been my blotter entry.

Alas, I chose the CA-ANG, and and an MOS change to Signal Corps ... from U.S. Army MP Corps.

Sometimes when pulling staff duty NCO at battalion level, we occasionally had to spring clowns from various units of the command being held in "D" cell at the base MP station. That happened especially after a "96" (four day weekend) or after the eagle had crapped on payday, putting money in the pockets of all those teenage life-takers and heart breakers.

Had 6 different MOS designations by the time I separated active duty as an E-6. One of those was company RTO in my younger days, an MOS I'm sure you're quite familiar with having been in the Signal Corps.