uniqs
Expand your moderator at work
drowningape
join:2013-04-08
united state

drowningape to Paralel

to Paralel

Re: Just got a NVG589

Correct. Have encountered a few addresses set up with iNid due to database errors that were too close to the VRAD to work on bonded pair due to line echo. When the network type was changed to single pair, the iNid worked quite well.

xtlosx
join:2005-11-02
Algonquin, IL

xtlosx to dlewis23

to dlewis23
Any idea if the bridge mode is any better than the POS DMZ+ that we currently get?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by xtlosx:

Any idea if the bridge mode is any better than the POS DMZ+ that we currently get?

It has an IP Passthrough mode which is supposed to act like a true bridge mode. I know I saw a post here by someone who had set it up but can't find it at the moment. They said that it actually works like you would expect and is not like the old DMZ+ mode on the 2Wire units. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of these to replace the 3801 I have.

xtlosx
join:2005-11-02
Algonquin, IL

xtlosx

I am as well... Chatting with a local field tech and seeing what needs to be done to replace this 3801. I would love a true bridge mode.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Is there a particular reason why you guys want Bridge Mode? I have the 3801 right now and it seems to do its job, granted I have my own WiFi router for Wireless-N. Why do you guys use your own router?

Also, if you do manage to get an NVG589 and you have the IPTV service, can you still using bridge mode or are you still stuck using the NVG589 as the router?
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

quote:
...Also, if you do manage to get an NVG589 and you have the IPTV service, can you still using bridge mode or are you still stuck using the NVG589 as the router?
As far as I can tell, from the admin handbook, the Passthrough mode does indeed work with IPTV service.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to dlewis23

to dlewis23
Is it possible to own Motorola NVG589? Or you still have to pay rental fee for this?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

At this point, it is a rental only. I believe this product is exclusively manufactured by Motorola for AT&T and they are issued with a device certificate for 802.1x authentication to access the network. You can't go to Motorola and buy one. Until they reach critical mass in customer installs and in the garage inventory, you won't really see these showing up on eBay, if at all.
Expand your moderator at work
ajl
join:2008-03-06
Jacksonville, FL

ajl to dlewis23

to dlewis23

Re: Just got a NVG589

I switched to U-verse (internet and phone) today in Jacksonville, FL from DSL. Got a NVG589 modem with battery installed. Heavy storm comes over this evening and power is lost to the house and the modem. My computer is on a UPS and stayed up nicely. My internet connection not so much, was down and out. Guess my phone would be a dead fish too during an outage. Is the battery only to hold the configuration during a power outage? (One other newbie question, do I still need the DSL filters on the phone lines?)

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

If you need DSL filters and have an NVG589 your install was done incorrectly.
ajl
join:2008-03-06
Jacksonville, FL

ajl to dlewis23

to dlewis23
The DSL filters were on phone lines from my DSL service. The tech didn't mention the filter, and in fact he never saw a DSL filter as I had removed the line at my computer station just prior to having the new service completed. He just didn't mention anything about removing or leaving the telephone filters on. Thus my question here. So the advice here is that I can remove the filters from my phone lines.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to ajl

MVM,

to ajl
said by ajl:

Is the battery only to hold the configuration during a power outage?

No. The battery is there to keep the RG active so the phone line can work during a power outage. You might want to test that out to make sure it is set up correctly. I'm not sure how the NVG589 works with the integrated battery. Is there a switch for the battery or do you have to just pull the battery out to cut the power? With the amount of integration, I would think it should just work.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to ajl

to ajl
said by ajl:

So the advice here is that I can remove the filters from my phone lines.

Yep, you can remove them.

former qwest
@qwest.net

former qwest to ajl

Anon

to ajl
plug your modem (gateway) into a UPS, that's where mine is, a little over two hours juice when suffering thru a power outage.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by former qwest :

plug your modem (gateway) into a UPS, that's where mine is, a little over two hours juice when suffering thru a power outage.

Actually that's not a good thing to do! The battery in the NVG-589 is good for at least 4 hours. If you plug it into your UPS all you are going to do is steal power that could be being used by other devices that don't have their own batteries.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to former qwest

MVM,

to former qwest
said by former qwest :

You've missed the fact that the NVG589 has an integrated UPS battery of its own. You should not have to plug it into a separate UPS. The question here is why ajl See Profile's RG appeared to go down when the power went out.

ajl See Profile did you verify that all the lights on the RG were out? Did it happen immediately when the power went out or after some period of time?
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel to dlewis23

to dlewis23
I have tested the battery mode on my NVG589, it runs the gateway just like normal, no problem. It switches over like nothing happened if it loses mains power, and when mains power is restores it also switches over automatically and starts recharging the internal battery.

Josh all
@sbc.com

Josh all

Anon

The nvg589 is programmed once power is lost to only keep up the VoIP line. Whereas the BBu on the other modems kept everything going when power was lost and I am assuming these devices aren't compatible with the big BBu that AT&T provided since it has its own power supply in the box.

On a side note for some reason the managers are being told it only runs on bonded pairs even though, like the others, mine runs just fine on the angle pair. I am assuming they just don't want all customers and techs swapping to this new one cause of the limited supply.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

Correct, it is not compatible with the black & gray belkin bbu's.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to Josh all

MVM,

to Josh all
The word is that the NVG589 is supposed to only be used for iNID swaps for now through the end of this year. That would seem to indicate that the new speed tiers that will require pair bonding will not be launched until the end of the year or early next year. :/

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

I use them on new bonded pair installs, and chronic repairs of iNID's. It wasn't supposed to be used this soon, however dealing with an IU shortage for the iNID's have prompted things along. That's just for my market though, don't know what's going on in the other markets.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Mr Fel:

I use them on new bonded pair installs, and chronic repairs of iNID's. It wasn't supposed to be used this soon, however dealing with an IU shortage for the iNID's have prompted things along. That's just for my market though, don't know what's going on in the other markets.

Ditto in mine

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker to rolande

Premium Member

to rolande
Wow. This should have been released months ago, and they are pushing it back almost a year.

This dinosaur never surprises me.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

I was talking with a Tier-2 agent on the phone regarding these new gateways. I was on the phone because of an unrelated issue but I asked if she could confirm a rumor for me.

I asked her when the new higher speed Internet tiers were going to be released. Her response was that they are indeed testing the new tiers out west and that it required a new gateway. She said that she had a meeting regarding the new gateways and the new Internet speed tiers that very morning. I mentioned that I knew about the NVG589, that pair-bonding would be needed to deploy the faster speeds, and that there were a lot of forum posts talking about that new gateway and her response was that she was surprised that I knew as much as I knew about it.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we're close to a release of these new higher speed Internet tiers. Considering that the tier-2 agent I talked to said that she had a meeting that very morning about the new tiers lends some credibility to the rumors that the new tiers will be coming very soon.
Paralel
Michigan, US

3 edits

Paralel to Josh all

to Josh all
said by Josh all :

The nvg589 is programmed once power is lost to only keep up the VoIP line...

This has not been my experience. I ran my NVG589 on its internal battery when my power was lost and Internet access via Wi-Fi and as well as VoIP continued to work just fine. However, Ethernet & HPNA did stop working.

Also, the electrical interfaces for the NVG589 and the 3801 appear to be electrically and physically compatible. The NVG589 runs on 12V 3A, and the gray Belkin battery backup outputs 12V 3A. I tested this and successfully ran a 3801 off of the power supply for the NVG589, and the NVG589 believed it was pulling from mains power when I ran it off of a gray Belkin battery backup which was disconnected from mains power and was running off of its internal battery.

I'm sure these aren't "supported" configurations, but, since there is no reason they shouldn't work, and they indeed appear to work just fine, I would say for anyone that has a gray Belkin battery backup to hold onto it since it seem to work just fine with the NVG589 and would give you an additional 4 hours of functional time if you lost power.

Between the internal battery in my NVG589, and the two gray Belkin battery backups I have, I should be able to run the gateway off of backup power for 12 hours.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
The NVG589's were released yesterday in the KC market, but only for bonded pair installations that specifically ask for NVG589 in GCAS during the install.

Again, there should have been urgency to release this months ago. Now the real timeline for upgrades is "a few months". Way behind if you ask me.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Mr Fel

Premium Member

to Mr Fel
said by Mr Fel:

I got mine here in Louisville 4 weeks ago and was told it was the 1st one deployed in Louisville. I'd been having intermittent problems consistently since I had U-verse installed in January 2012. It's certainly proven that it's a very solid unit. Hopefully everyone have the same experience.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

I actually asked my manager about that when I read your post since we still didn't have the go ahead when you posted. Yeah you were definitely the first to get one here in Louisville. Right after that the 589's started getting deployed. They definitely help with the super chronic cases.