uniqs
share rss forum feed

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

2 edits
reply to UverseTech

Re: Just got a NVG589

An IR tech once gave me flack and I said your getting paid twice as much as me and doing half the work, Shut the fuck up and get it working.

Zero sympathy for somebody getting paid 33+ dollars an hour and complains about having to climb a pole.

NorcalShark
Premium
join:2009-10-31
San Jose, CA
reply to dlewis23

Just got the NVG589 installed here in the Bay area, an additional pair was added for the 45Mb tier. I was about 1300Ft from the VRad on the 3801 according to UV realtime. Here's the NVG589 statistics

DSL Status
Line 1 Line 2
Line State Up Up
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 27715 27715
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 3033 3033
Modulation VDSL2 VDSL2
Data Path Interleaved Interleaved
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
SN Margin (dB) 21.8 0 18.8 0
Line Attenuation (dB) 24.1 0 24.6 0
Output Power(dBm) 14.3 -9.4 14.3 -9.2
Errored Seconds 0 0 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0 0 0
FEC Errors 484 0 79 0
CRC Errors 0 0 0 0

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

Can you post some speedtests?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by nephipower:

Can you post some speedtests?

^ This!
and can you tell us how many TV streams are available if you have TV service?

I wonder why they pushed the upload so low compared to the actual tier this time :/.

NorcalShark
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to dlewis23

^ 1 DVR and 6 STB's is what we're using here.

When the premise tech run the test he got about 42MB, I think someone using 1 of the STB's at the moment.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

3 edits
reply to dlewis23

I'm kind of sad to see the lower than advertised(I don't like that "up to" claim) on this tier too, especially when most cable/fiber companies give a lot of fluff.

Can you post the STB info(Streams/Egress Profile) under:
Menu -> Options -> System Options -> System Information -> System Resources

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:5
reply to NorcalShark

Can you tell how many HD/SD streams you are allocated?

NorcalShark
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to dlewis23

Looks like the stream allocation is still the same, 0SD/4HD Wan 1SD/3HD Ingress 0SD/3HD Egress.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to dlewis23

Hmm, I'm really quite surprised they're using such a conservative profile. Looks like it's 27 MBit per line, 54 Mbit aggregate profile. I honestly thought they'd do a 32 Mbit profile per line, 64 Mbit aggregate. Of course, they said they were testing it, so what they deploy nationwide may differ. That leaves room for maybe 2 stream before it starts to eat into the Internet bandwidth. That's not very good.

NorcalShark
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to dlewis23

Retested now that it's passed midnight, got more from a different nearby server.

Darknessfall
Premium

Ok, that's better now .

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Msradell

No just plug the NVG589 to the surge-only side of the UPS, that way its "protected" and you can still have the other devices use the battery backup side of the ups that need it.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
reply to DataRiker

Hey its taken 5 years for them to maybe finally be offering u-verse to my address per the convo I had with the guys installing the VRAD yesterday.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

So they are back to installing new VRADs. Good news for those who missed out on the initial roll out of the service.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH

Appears to be, I've been screaming for 5 years so....

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to NorcalShark

said by NorcalShark:

Just got the NVG589 installed here in the Bay area, an additional pair was added for the 45Mb tier. I was about 1300Ft from the VRad...

How did you manage to get this? The highest speed on the website for TV/Internet is "Max Plus" 18 Mb/s, and the highest speed listed for Internet Only is "Max Turbo" 24 Mb/s.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

Without logging in, using just my zipcode, ATT uverse check-availability does show 45Mb "Power" tier; but still is not available for specific addresses on my street.

Before able to upgrade and exploit an NVG589, I wonder if certain things have to have already happened, indicating the infrastructure is available, without action/cost by yourself?:

1. ATT "does something" to your VRAD (no way to tell),
2. your old RG gets the FW update

plus your old RG MAY then get profile upgrade: higher DL speed

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to Darknessfall

Looks like I finally got the last piece of crap out of the pathway between my gateway and my ped. Found an old AMP connection of some kind in between the gateway and the NID. From what I can tell, it looks like it's from the 70's or 80's. Def. not up to spec for VDSL2. Took it out, spliced the pairs using scotchlocks, and my signal/noise ration, attenuation, and FECs have all improved.

Real simple and clean now, Gateway to Jack, Jack to NID, NID to Ped, and from there I'm sure it's a mess, but that's beyond the jurisdiction of my residence, so there's nothing I can do about that.

Paralel

Michigan, US

1 edit
reply to dlewis23

How odd, my NVG589 spontaneously rebooted itself just a few minutes ago... I wonder what triggered that?

Edit: There were the last log entries before it forced itself to reboot:

2013-08-12T14:33:30-04:00 L4 mcp[302]: mcp[handle_timers]: group (0xEFC06A0D) timer expired - dropping membership

2013-08-12T14:33:30-04:00 L4 mcp[302]: mcp[handle_timers]: group (0xEFC06A0D) has stale rep/src entries AD8D6CC5 00000000 0000BEEF

2013-08-12T14:33:30-04:00 L4 mcp[302]: mcp[handle_timers]: group (0xEFC31603) timer expired - dropping membership

2013-08-12T14:33:30-04:00 L4 mcp[302]: mcp[handle_timers]: group (0xEFC31603) has stale rep/src entries AD8D6CC2 00000000 0000BEEF

I'm not familiar with what these entries mean, anyone know?

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to dlewis23

The one thing I really dislike about the NVG589 is that it does not have a detailed DSL diagnostic page like the 2wire series. No bitloading graph, no indication of impulse noise, compensation tones, etc... It's frustrating. I know far less about my line now than I did.

We really need UVRT with these more than ever before. If the developer is reading this forum, I'd be more than happy to do whatever I can to help you with making your program compatible with the NVG589.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to Paralel

said by Paralel:

2013-08-12T14:33:30-04:00 L4 mcp[302]: mcp[handle_timers]: group (0xEFC06A0D) has stale rep/src entries AD8D6CC5 00000000 0000BEEF

It kept repeatedly asking itself, "Where's the BEEF?"

The culprit, at least in these log messages, appears to be L4 mcp whatever that is. I am going to take a completely wild stab in the dark that it is the process that manages distributing L4 requests across the pair bonded DSL connection. If the process was unable to manage the sessions for some reason, it probably led to the DSL connection unbundling and causing it to essentially go offline virtually requiring it to resynch.

So, I didn't think that there was flow based distribution across a pair bonded connection. I was hoping it was distributed per packet so that any single flow could achieve full line rate capacity. Maybe I am just completely off in left field here. Hopefully someone with more intimate knowledge of the product's inner workings can weigh in here.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to Darknessfall

I'm only running on a single line, and I have it configured to only train on a single line, so it can't have anything to do with pair bonding.

On the plus side, whatever triggered the reboot, it was to my benefit. Only ~1000 FEC so far, no CRC. I usually average FEC's an order of magnitude larger than that.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX

Why did they install a 589 for a single pair install?

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

rolande: read 1st page of thread. He weaseled it out of them.

Paralel

Michigan, US

Weaseled is such an ugly word. "Convinced" sounds better.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

Based on the current provisioning guidelines and your install requirements, weaseled is the appropriate word.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
reply to dlewis23

Just wanted to chime in, and got the NVG589 here in the sticks of 'bama.

I am new to Uverse, just got installed Friday. My TV keeps breaking up though, so going to have to get on that, but I am surprised to get such a new piece of equipment out here.

FWIW: I am located in Brierfield, Alabama.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

DSL4ME

@ameritech.net

Well, just got the 45Mbps installed here in Kalifornia and got the new 589 as well... The wired part of the service is great! 40-43Mbps consistently with 2 HD streams. The wireless is VERY disappointing! While connected to the wireless, the BEST was 22Mbps. This was using an 8 core iMac with N turned on. Tired moving it 40Hz and the speed was reduced. Looks like the MAX throughput on the wireless part is that 20-22Mbps. If there are more than 1 wireless client connecting, that speed is split between them. So, if you have a smartTV using Netflix streaming, another using Amazon, someone playing XBOX and another surfing the web on YouTube, you are right back down as if you had 18 or 24Mbps service.

Kinda really kills the need for 45 unless all you have is wired clients.

A real bummer, if you ask me!

Am I just ignorant and/or uneducated about this or, what am I missing? Is this a feature, not a bug?

Any help would be great!

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

Are you sure the 802.11n radio is enabled and that you can actually associate to it? My understanding was AT&T was going to "reserve" the n radio for wireless STB use only and customers would only be able to access the g radio for other devices. I wouldn't be surprised, though. I consider all the functionality on the AT&T supplied RG as a simple value-add. If you want real performance, buy and install your own.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Paralel

Michigan, US

The 2.4 GHz radio on the NVG589 is indeed N, and is usable. You are thinking of the 5 GHz portion of the spectrum where AT&T does indeed run it's wireless STB's. So, it is likely someday that the RG's for AT&T will run 802.11ac, but it would be for the wireless STB's only, and never for direct customer use.