spc
uniqs
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

2 edits

medbuyer to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B

Re: [Connectivity] Alternative to Comncast? I'm furious!

said by Melissa2009B:

I didn't install it, they did, and it was working fine, as I said, for MONTHS. So they KNOWINGLY installed it wireless for us, and now they hassle us for it being wireless, every time THEY go down. Swell.

And all I'm getting here from you guys, is blamed, the same way they did. I'm out of here, have a nice day!

that link was from 06/07....just about a month ago...

even if they installed it for you, it worked for a while and it stopped, meaning there is something going on with the wireless connection...

did you even try doing a basic troubleshooting?

see, you only like to hear what you think is right...if you don't like the answers or solutions that you think are contrary to what you think, you accuse people of working for Comcast and walk away....
is this really how TEA PARTY people think? It's their ideas or nothing else...

I think having a computer geek who knows how to run networks will save you the hassle and pulling your hair....instead of trying to solve this yourself...
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

1 edit

Melissa2009B

Well yes, I basically trouble shot it. I rebooted the modem, didn't work. Checked my speed on my PC's wireless connection and it said it was perfect, the same as always. I don't know what else I could have done.

I tried running a speedtest at Comcast's speedtest site and the results were abysmal.

Not sure if I can post a screen shot of that here.

But it suddenly started working again and is fine now, so I assume they did something outside somewhere, on their own equipment. But it keeps happening this way. It gets intermittent, we lose phone service sometimes too, I call them, they give me crap about the things they KNEW when we signed up, then an hour later it starts working again. This has been going on for about the last 6 weeks now.

Hortnut: Your reply was apparently being posted while I was typing the above. There ARE no wired connections. Comcast set up the whole deal about 9 mo ago. Their cable comes into a high up shelf in the kitchen ( for best wireless coverage, I put up a wood shelf ). Their WIRELESS modem sits there, a TG862G. It goes out wirelessly to 2 Roku boxes at opposite ends of the house, and 2 PC's at opposite sides of the house, but much closer than the Roku boxes. That's it. was working more or less fine for the first 7 months, then started doing this intermittent stuff. They KNEW it would be wireless and installed it all for us ( I set up the wireless networking from both PC's and the Roku boxes, and it was fine all that time ) but then every time THEY go down or flaky for some reason, they blame US.

Look, I'm done with this.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer

said by Melissa2009B:

Well yes, I basically trouble shot it. I rebooted the modem, didn't work. Checked my speed on my PC's wireless connection and it said it was perfect, the same as always. I don't know what else I could have done.

I tried running a speedtest at Comcast's speedtest site and the results were abysmal.

Not sure if I can post a screen shot of that here.

But it suddenly started working again and is fine now, so I assume they did something outside somewhere, on their own equipment. But it keeps happening this way. It gets intermittent, we lose phone service sometimes too, I call them, they give me crap about the things they KNEW when we signed up, then an hour later it starts working again. This has been going on for about the last 6 weeks now.

I would heed workablob See Profile advise...

suggestions by other people....might not be the best answer but may be the solution..
Expand your moderator at work

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 edit

hortnut to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B

May I recommend, when calling leaving out the Small Business, Wireless, Your Background and such. Concentrate on the issues at hand. Let the tech go from there.

Remember you are negotiating, that is trying to find a solution.

Going on for 6 weeks? Shot in the dark - when did it start to get hot there? Any correlation?

When Teching for DSL, had all kinds of irregularities that would cause disconnects/slowdowns. One was at a certain time of day on sunny days. Water from landscaper irrigation was getting into one of the connections [that was not sealed correctly] and when sun hit it, connection dropped. That is just one.

Still suggest posting your Modem Stats.

Edit: I am a generalist and have experience from many different occupations/experiences. But I do not know it all and have not kept up in some disciplines. People that come to do work for me, I assume, know the current way of doing things and such.

The Comcast Tech out last Summer had some new tools that allowed him to do a lot of work from his vehicle without hooking up to my cable. He had just received them, so he also used the 'old' tools to verify. So, I make sure that I do not assume anything.

hth
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

said by hortnut:

May I recommend, when calling leaving out the Small Business, Wireless, Your Background and such. Concentrate on the issues at hand. Let the tech go from there.

Yeah, ok.

Going on for 6 weeks? Shot in the dark - when did it start to get hot there? Any correlation?

Could be, though I'm not certain. We have central air here in the house, so it never gets over 70, but outside...

But things have cooled off this past week. It's only 81 now outside, and the problem just went away as it was warming up out there, so it's hard to say.

When Teching for DSL, had all kinds of irregularities that would cause disconnects/slowdowns. One was at a certain time of day on sunny days. Water from landscaper irrigation was getting into one of the connections [that was not sealed correctly] and when sun hit it, connection dropped. That is just one.

Wouldn't discount it, but can't get them to do anything but blame me.

Still suggest posting your Modem Stats.

I don't know how. Is there a way for me to download them?

Edit: I am a generalist and have experience from many different occupations/experiences. But I do not know it all and have not kept up in some disciplines. People that come to do work for me, I assume, know the current way of doing things and such.

The Comcast Tech out last Summer had some new tools that allowed him to do a lot of work from his vehicle without hooking up to my cable. He had just received them, so he also used the 'old' tools to verify. So, I make sure that I do not assume anything.

hth

OK, interesting, thanks.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

It could be a signal issue. Can you post signal levels from the modem diagnostic pages? Should be at »192.168.100.1 if it's in bridge mode.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

It's not in bridge mode. I tried a router awhile back, could never get it to work ( apparently didn't know how ) and had them turn the wifi back on and take it back out of bridge mode.
Expand your moderator at work

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

DocDrew to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B

Then try »192.168.1.1 or »192.168.0.1
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

said by DocDrew:

Oh, I think I remember.... 10.0.0.1

There's logs and diagnostic tools in there, if I knew what to do.

What are you interested in?

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
I think Comcast has to put that unit in bridge mode.
Another thing you might think about is getting a wireless access point and installing in the middle of your house.
If your house has carpet throughout there is a way to run cat5e between the tack strip and the wall under the carpet.
I did that with a neighbor a couple years ago in his house with bad wireless signals and that cured his problem.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

said by DocDrew:

Oh, I think I remember.... 10.0.0.1

Signal levels should be under "Connection" -> "Xfinity Network."

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

Post screenshots of the cable signal levels.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

I think Comcast has to put that unit in bridge mode.

Yes they do, but like I said, I tried a router with that and couldn't get it to work, so had them switch it back.

Another thing you might think about is getting a wireless access point and installing in the middle of your house.

Isn't that what the TG862 is essentially doing in wireless mode?

If your house has carpet throughout there is a way to run cat5e between the tack strip and the wall under the carpet.
I did that with a neighbor a couple years ago in his house with bad wireless signals and that cured his problem.

No carpet.
Melissa2009B

Melissa2009B to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by Melissa2009B:

Post screenshots of the cable signal levels.

Don't see anything for signal levels, or a way to post a jpg here, but...

Here's a screen shot of part of the event log today:

»lakewoodcolorado.net/pho ··· tial.jpg

But THAT was after it started working again.

Here's a system log that shows when it was out this AM:

»lakewoodcolorado.net/pho ··· tial.jpg

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
Sorry, I just re-read my post. I should have said wireless router, not WAP.
With my neighbors problem he had the same modem/wireless router as you have, but was located at one end of the house in the basement and everything on the main floor had terrible signal levels.
We had Comcast put the unit in bridge mode and I ran a cat5e to the middle of the main floor and installed a Netgear router there.
For some reason he gets excellent signals now in the whole house, even in the basement.....only thing we can figure is the wireless side of the TG862 is pretty weak. Which is the same problem you are having.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
From the log files it looks like you have signal issues, downstream and upstream, but I can tell if it's strength or noise related. You'll probably need a Comcast on site to diagnose further. Phone support should be able to see the signal level issues IF you just tell them the modem lights keep cycling and you're losing connection. Don't mention any business, wireless, or other complications. It'll just sidetrack and confuse the situation.

Also, can you post a screenshot from the "diagnostic tools" menu:

Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

said by DocDrew:

From the log files it looks like you have signal issues, downstream and upstream, but I can tell if it's strength or noise related. You'll probably need a Comcast on site to diagnose further. Phone support should be able to see the signal level issues IF you just tell them the modem lights keep cycling and you're losing connection. Don't mention any business, wireless, or other complications. It'll just sidetrack and confuse the situation.

Also, can you post a screenshot from the "diagnostic tools" menu:
[att=1]

»lakewoodcolorado.net/pho ··· 2-13.jpg

I won't mess with their support with this. As soon as they find out it's wireless, they refuse it. Even if a tech comes out, that word makes them jive talk me.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

I won't mess with their support with this. As soon as they find out it's wireless, they refuse it. Even if a tech comes out, that word makes them jive talk me.

If you want this fixed, you're going to have to cooperate with their support on this. FIND a way to connect it with wired ethernet at least temporarily. Wireless in many situations is iffy and prone to issues, it's best to rule it out ASAP just to be able to move on to other possible problems.

Right now the signal levels you posted are fine and shouldn't be causing a problem, so it may be an intermittent signal strength or noise issue.

Can you post a tracert to www.comcast.com ?
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

1 edit

Melissa2009B

»lakewoodcolorado.net/pho ··· cert.jpg
Melissa2009B

Melissa2009B

»lakewoodcolorado.net/pho ··· 20PM.jpg
spud3
join:2007-03-24
Constantine, MI

spud3 to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

There ARE no wired connections. Comcast set up the whole deal about 9 mo ago. Their cable comes into a high up shelf in the kitchen (for best wireless coverage, I put up a wood shelf)

Like near the microwave oven up high near the fluorescent light
You really need at least 1 wired connection
For a test a Barrel Connector some coax and move it to one end of the house and see what happens microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, wireless video cameras, outdoor microwave links, wireless game controllers, Zigbee devices, fluorescent lights, WiMAX, and so on. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.
At 25 feet from the AP or client, a microwave oven was found to degrade data throughput by 64 percent and an analog phone and video camera both degraded throughput by 100 percent (in other words, no ability to connect). it is no longer obvious what might be a source of interference-wireless links are now embedded in watches, shoes, MP3 players,A new breed of hybrid motion detectors uses a combination of passive infrared sensor (PIR) and 2.4-GHz radar to detect motion. Jupiter Research reports 67 percent of all residential Wi-Fi problems are linked to interfering devices,
I was just at a friends house his Wireless was next to the baby monitor And I think him and everyone in the trailer park was on channel 1

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
The really low speed tests are odd considering the modem levels and tracert you posted, which were good when captured them. That slow could be a wireless issue, but you can't tell unless you TRY a direct wired ethernet connection.

This sort of thing is troubleshooting 101... any ISP you signup with will go through similar steps. If you don't cooperate with the basic steps, it's difficult to help you with your issues and problems drag on.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by DocDrew:

The really low speed tests are odd considering the modem levels and tracert you posted, which were good when captured them. That slow could be a wireless issue, but you can't tell unless you TRY a direct wired ethernet connection.

This sort of thing is troubleshooting 101... any ISP you signup with will go through similar steps. If you don't cooperate with the basic steps, it's difficult to help you with your issues and problems drag on.

people have been trying to tell her to run a wire from a pc to the modem directly and observe if it still disconnects...but she wouldn't listen....or try....

people have been suggesting that the wireless signals are the issue coming from the modem but she keeps on ranting out that it's Comcast fault rather than go around it and help her self....

I can't understand why she can't run a wire in her house when she keeps complaining about the wireless signals and is very adamant that wires can't be run....if she's in a house, there will always be a way to run it....heck, even in an apartment....
spud3
join:2007-03-24
Constantine, MI

spud3

said by Melissa2009B:

said by medbuyer:

people have been trying to tell her to run a wire from a pc to the modem directly and observe if it still disconnects...but she wouldn't listen....or try....

people have been suggesting that the wireless signals are the issue coming from the modem but she keeps on ranting out that it's Comcast fault rather than go around it and help her self....

I can't understand why she can't run a wire in her house when she keeps complaining about the wireless signals and is very adamant that wires can't be run....if she's in a house, there will always be a way to run it....heck, even in an apartment....

Or why it has to be in the kitchen up high Like that's going to help
A typical wireless access point using 802.11b or 802.11g with a stock antenna might have a range of 120 ft indoors she has a 80' house and has 802.11n that should double the range move it to one end where you can easily plug in Ethernet

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
Agree with there is always a way to run wire.
I have had situations that I have had to run them in a cold air return, which is allowed by code in our state if you use plenum wire.
There is wire mold and many other ways. So never say never when it comes to wire.
It appears the lady is bent on blaming Comcast rather than looking for the best solution no matter who's at fault.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

DocDrew to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
There could be multiple issues.... a modem signal issues causing modem disconnects and a wireless issue causing slow speeds. I see some signs of both.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by DocDrew:

There could be multiple issues.... a modem signal issues causing modem disconnects and a wireless issue causing slow speeds. I see some signs of both.

when she signed up and got her HSI installed, everything worked fine for her.....it was the wireless signals that keep on disconnecting her that's been her nemesis....

everybody told her to get this reliable modem and this reliable wireless router BUT she didn't listen... even after buying a wireless router, she couldn't for the life of her figure out how to configure her network.......she's got 2 pc's, 2 roku's a GBTV and some cameras around her house...all of which she's trying to run wirelessly...all because she didn't want to run wires...

my money is on the TG682 and that's been chronicled here extensively together with her tech troubleshooting skills...