fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Burglar proof the house? Camera options too

Reference this thread:
»Housing authority? Home break-in

Now today my other next door neighbor's house was broken into. This is getting ridiculous. Cops said the burglars were using gloves so no prints. My car was in my driveway (normally I lock it away in the garage but laziness might have benefitted me this time) when I was at work, so it looked like someone was home at my house.

Do storm windows (the glass that goes over a window instead of a screen) or whatever they're called make it harder for a burglar to get in a window? They forced open the neighbor's window but they don't have screens or anything. Mine have the storm windows or whatever they're called. I can't tell but it looks like they're actually screwed in. They're the original house windows I'm guessing from when the house was built in the 1920's.

Home improvement tips for a burglar proof house?

Any camera options that are easy to hook up and of good quality? I don't see any that get good reviews. I'm thinking about hiding a small computer inside fresh drywall or something like that, and using that as the wireless recorder. Or I could just have it upload to a website or something. Or just to my computer (but if that gets stolen then it's pointless).

I could leave my old computers from around the turn of the century around the house as bait incase anyone actually does break in. They won't know the difference.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

I have some D-Link wireless cameras and they can record to a PC's hard drive on the local network. The DVR software they come with isn't the greatest but it works. Or, they can upload still images to an FTP. Another option is to email still images.

As far as other advice, I recommend a dog and a firearm.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to fartness

A bunch of us around the neighborhood went in together and had a sign shop make some fake security stickers and signs. Six window stickers and one yard sign cost $20.00 per person. They have a made up name on them, but do mimic the national chain sign styles. The guy at the shop said they have been getting a lot of requests to make these. As long as it does not violate any copyrights, they will make them. Having the same signs in the same area is what makes it work.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

There really is no such thing as a burglar proof house. You can only deter people. If they want in then they will get in. Cameras only work if the person isn't covered head to toe in clothes, including face. So amateurs are easier to deter, but a pro will know more tricks. Glass cutters and a padded mat will make most glass entries very quiet. So breakage is always a option. But most amateurs won't be that quiet, but a pro would.

A pro would test if there is actually a alarm system and check response time, and neighborhood involvement. The best deterrent is the steel rolling shutters that are popular out here. Makes the time not worth while to try to cut, break through or dismantle. Glass in entry doors and patio doors and a bad option also. The list goes on, but you can deter, just make sure you keep insurance just in case you come across the determined amateur or pro.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:10

said by Beezel:

The best deterrent is the steel rolling shutters that are popular out here.

I saw a townhouse which got broken into by someone going into the back (attached) shed and kicking through the fiberboard (on the outside) and drywall (on the inside). Having vinyl siding isn't going add any real resistance to this. Unless your house has something more substantial for siding, those rolling shutters might turn a broken window into an extra hole in the wall for someone who's determined.

The best defense is a monitored alarm system with those stickers everywhere and a few prominently displayed cameras. The 2nd best is fake (but real looking) stickers and cameras. Neither of those are going to stop somebody who is determined to break into your house, but they should cause a casual thief to look for an easier target.

/M

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Beezel

said by Beezel:

A pro would test if there is actually a alarm system and check response time, and neighborhood involvement.

Yes, I read something just recently about this. A pro comes up and does something that is guaranteed to set off an alarm, like breaking a window or kicking in a door. Then they immediately leave the area. After 30 minutes they come back to see if the house has police or anyone else there looking around. If not they know there is nobody home, and no alarm system. So they confidently head back in to the house through whatever they broke the first time.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

I can't make any suggestions about security systems, but I do have a camera facing my long driveway to capture any license plates or faces of those unwelcome. What we do have, however, is two Border Collies with superior intelligence and deep voices. Their barking is more than enough to deter anyone from breaking in. If they should break in though, they will be wearing a couple of angry black and white stoles, and, won't be leaving until we come home... in the back seat of a patrol car.

Can you get a dog or two? They are the best defense.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to fartness

This won't help you during the day...

But I leave all my porch lights on at night with dusk to dawn sensors to save on power usage.

I have a porch light, garage light, and pole light out front.. and a porch light out back. I keep them on all night with CFL bulbs to help save energy.

I figure if someone walks by deciding on which house to rob, they would most likely skip over mine because it's so well lit up. That's my theory anyway

Jaber

join:2007-07-07
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to fartness

Couple months ago, someone attempted to break into my townhome. My wife left for work in the evening and shortly after, I left to run a couple errands. Since our puppy is still young, we crate him in our bedroom and he took a nap. When I came home an hour later, the garage door closed about 80% of the way, I originally thought someone backed into my (attached) garage door and the last door panel was off the track. Called police to get report and it didn't occur to me of a possible burglary attempt until they helped me get the door all the way down. Looks like they tried to pry the door up and pushed it off the track on the left side. We checked the whole house and got lucky it was probably someone with little experience and was looking for a quick hit. Had to use a hammer to bend things back and now we just have a cosmetic eye sore, until we get the bottom panel replaced.

Police officer said the best way to deter burglars is to putup fake security signs or get a security system and post signs/stickers all over. Dogs can help, but if the burglar is willing to go the extra mile, dogs can end up dead. Cameras alone won't help much, as they can mask up and wear gloves. Needless to say, in our sub-division, we were one of the few, who don't have a security system at the time. Which I'm assuming made us a better target. Now we have ADT and I relocated a couple of our IP cameras and record 24/7 on both main entrances to our home.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to fartness

the idea of home security is not to make it so they cannot enter, but to make it so the neighbor's home looks easier.

signs do little to deter them, i had a sign in the yard and stickers on my doors when my house was robbed. The door they forced open had a sticker on it right where they put the pry bar. at that time i had no alarm and a 90# lab in the house. They beat the dog into submission and took their time.

as far as security doors/windows go, i used to work for an alarm company and i have seen then take siding off a house and kick thru the wall.

so if they want in, they will get in. any measures you take should be visible enough to deter the common thief, but never think they can't break in.

BTW, if you have a camera system make sure it streams to offsite storage. It is getting more and more common for them to take/destroy the security system DVR when they find it.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

join:2013-04-08
reply to Chinabound

said by Chinabound:

Can you get a dog or two? They are the best defense.

Unless you train them to attack people they don't know they are of little use as home defense. At best they will bark and if the people don't leave they will bark again. Feel free to go watch some reruns of 'It Takes a Thief' if you'd like to see multiple cases of how this works.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a···_series)

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to fartness

To be honest, this is a subject that ultimately rests with the owner, and what he does for his peace of mind.

Storm windows with or without screens. - useless

Security System = can be useless is it is not properly setup and turned on and has a wireless means of communication with a monitoring company. Also having an outdoor siren that is out of reach
is a must have. If the siren is indoors only, how do the neighbors know your getting robbed?

Bars on windows - great keeping them out, but great on keeping you in, especially if there is a fire.

Cameras - Great for catching the people robbing you, unless they wear masks. Good crooks will look for the DVR and either steal or smash it. Having a quality outdoor camera looking at the road can help as well. Concealing the cameras and Securing the DVR are to be highly considered.

Dogs - having a dog that is protective of its owner and home is probably the best solution, however depending on your disposition towards them, not to mention if they are a constant barker, could be irritating. However crooks don't like dogs.

Why I Posted.
I work for a local life and property protection/security company and I see these types of crime all the time.

Good Luck
--
Getting it Done.

Expand your moderator at work

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL

1 recommendation

reply to 28727686

Re: Burglar proof the house? Camera options too

said by 28727686:

Feel free to go watch some reruns of 'It Takes a Thief' if you'd like to see multiple cases of how this works.

A television show, for entertainment purposes only.
Even my dogs are laughing.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to fartness

No matter what you do you can't stop a pro.

The best you can do is try to encourage the thief to go to the neighbors because it's easier pickings.

Decent locks, strong striker plates with 2" screws.

Dual key dead bolt locks.

If you really have valuables put in a floor safe. Only a super pro will defeat that.

If you're trying to protect a stereo or computer, ha , forget it.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to fartness

The 1st place thieves go is to the master bedroom. Don't keep any valuables there.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to fartness

In my opinion alarms are at best a psychological crutch for the owner and at worst a total rip off.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to mackey

said by mackey:

said by Beezel:

The best deterrent is the steel rolling shutters that are popular out here.

I saw a townhouse which got broken into by someone going into the back (attached) shed and kicking through the fiberboard (on the outside) and drywall (on the inside). Having vinyl siding isn't going add any real resistance to this. Unless your house has something more substantial for siding, those rolling shutters might turn a broken window into an extra hole in the wall for someone who's determined.

The best defense is a monitored alarm system with those stickers everywhere and a few prominently displayed cameras. The 2nd best is fake (but real looking) stickers and cameras. Neither of those are going to stop somebody who is determined to break into your house, but they should cause a casual thief to look for an easier target.

/M

That's why I said deterrent. If a person wants in badly enough then they will get in. And that's why you need to keep insurance.

Also the construction of the house does make a difference also. Out here almost all houses use concrete and stucco. So kicking a hole in wall will more than not likely be a worthwhile effort. Hence the steel shutters are effective here.

My personal favorite is booby trap the house and clearly post signs that "You will definitely get F****D UP if you try to break in". ;P

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by Beezel:

My personal favorite is booby trap the house and clearly post signs that "You will definitely get F****D UP if you try to break in". ;P

I'd suggest you remove any traps you may have setup in your residence. Unless you are filthy rich and don't mind paying any criminals a lot of your money after they are hurt (or paying their family a lot of your money if they are killed) then you may choose to ignore this free advice.

»definitions.uslegal.com/b/booby-traps/
quote:
Booby Traps Law & Legal Definition

A booby trap may be defined as any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device. This term includes guns, ammunition, or explosive devices attached to trip wires or other triggering mechanisms, sharpened stakes, nails, spikes, electrical devices, lines or wires with hooks attached, and devices for the production of toxic fumes or gases.

If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. It is illegal to set a booby trap on one's own property to prevent intruders.

The Geneva Convention, which applies to law governing wars, deals with booby traps as follows:

Without prejudice to the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict relating to treachery and perfidy, it is prohibited in all circumstances to use:

a. any booby-trap in the form of an apparently harmless portable object which is specifically designed and constructed to contain explosive material and to detonate when it is disturbed or approached, or

b. booby-traps which are in any way attached to or associated with:

1. internationally recognized protective emblems, signs or signals;

2. sick, wounded or dead persons;

3. burial or cremation sites or graves;

4. medical facilities, medical equipment, medical supplies or medical transportation;

5. children's toys or other portable objects or products specially designed for the feeding, health, hygiene, clothing or education of children;

6. food or drink;

7. kitchen utensils or appliances except in military establishments, military locations or military supply depots;

8. objects clearly of a religious nature;

9. historic monuments, works of art or places or worship which constitute the cultural or spiritual heritage of peoples;

10. animals or their carcasses.

It is prohibited in all circumstances to use any booby-trap which is designed to cause superfluous injury or necessary suffering."
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

said by Doctor Olds:

[The Geneva Convention, which applies to law governing wars, deals with booby traps as follows:

And has nothing to to with a homeowner.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by 54067323:

said by Doctor Olds:

[The Geneva Convention, which applies to law governing wars, deals with booby traps as follows:

And has nothing to to with a homeowner.

Read the bold section just above that. Thanks.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Alarmed

@bell.ca
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

The 1st place thieves go is to the master bedroom. Don't keep any valuables there.

Correct. The OP said something about computers. The thieves don't want your computers. They're heading for the master bedroom.

Alarm systems are a good deterrent. The one thing a thief doesn't want is to get caught. In my town, the police respond immediately to alarm activations. We had a false alarm, and the police were there within 2 minutes.

Having said that, the OP's best remedy is to move to a safer town.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to fartness

My friend in the same city, in a worse neighborhood got an alarm system and it constantly falses. He's had ADT out all the time to fix it and still the same issues.

I have a lot of computers, so unless they take all computers, there is no way for them to know which one is the DVR. I could also hide it behind drywall or something too.

I guess when I originally posted this, I should have specified that nothing is burglar proof as mentioned in this thread, I'd just rather take the better you than me approach and have the burglar look elsewhere.

Since the neighbor's back window was forced open, one of two things happened:
1. The burglars went into my driveway, looked at my car, decided bad idea, then hopped the fence since they saw the low back windows of my neighbors
2. The burglars decided for whatever reason to pick their random house and go in the backyard and break open the window.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to 54067323

Can I at least keep my moat with alligators?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to fartness

I forgot to mention this in my previous post. I was once told that if you have a garage it's better to have a garage door without a window, that way potential thieves can't check to see if there's a car in there or not when trying to assess if someone is home. I guess the thinking is that the uncertainty would cause them to move on and pick another house.

Both of my garage doors have windows at the top but the glass is frosted so you can't see in or out, but light is able to come in.

--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to fartness

Our local police gave us a good idea on how to stop fence jumpers...

Get some 1-1/2" finishing nails. Pound them in the top, then take some side cutters and cut them off at an angle, leaving about 1/4" - 3/8" sticking up. Put them in every 2" all around the fence.

I modified that somewhat. I pounded them in on the face on my side at an angle and cut them off. This way, when they put their hands over the top, they get hooked.

A great tip from the local police anti-burglary unit.

These also work great:

»www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Stro···00374920

Bulk pricing (random site):

»www.ronshomeandhardware.com/MP36···7662.htm

Also, talk to your neighbors. They may not be aware of the amount of criminal activity in your area. If you can convince your neighbors to do cameras, make sure that one of them looks across the street at their houses, and one of theirs at your house. That way, if the burglar takes the DVR at any place, there is a another view at the neighbors.

If you want to beat the criminal element, your neighbors and you all have to work together in a coordinated manner.
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Hahausuck

said by Hahausuck:

Can I at least keep my moat with alligators?

Only if you have 2000 gallons of naphtha to pour out and light at a moments notice

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Chinabound

said by Chinabound:

I can't make any suggestions about security systems, but I do have a camera facing my long driveway to capture any license plates or faces of those unwelcome. What we do have, however, is two Border Collies with superior intelligence and deep voices. Their barking is more than enough to deter anyone from breaking in. If they should break in though, they will be wearing a couple of angry black and white stoles, and, won't be leaving until we come home... in the back seat of a patrol car.

We should arrange for me to come up and test that theory sometime, CB -- combination wargames/pen-testing!

I bet that a couple of McD's cheeseburgers would go a long way toward having you come home to find me sitting on your sofa with two new black andwhite friends.

Tuscaloosa, AL

said by jester121:

I bet that a couple of McD's cheeseburgers would go a long way toward having you come home to find me sitting on your sofa with two new black andwhite friends.

If you are not into making friends, there is a little white pill that can be rolled up into a ball of ground beef that will after about 20 minutes assure you of a good six hours of snoozing dog.

Which is more than enough time to not only clean out the safe, but to load up the major appliances as well...

Tuscaloosa, AL

2 recommendations

reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Our local police gave us a good idea on how to stop fence jumpers...

I have seen in some high crime areas where merchants desiring to keep the hoods off their roofs will lay down a couple inches of sand mix around the edge and then imbed into it soda bottles, after the cement sets up they break the tops off of the bottles leaving a nice jagged glass edge.

The there are razor blades.

I had a sub who took a hit, the thugs cut the phone line and pulled the bell cabinet off the wall.

My tech replaced the bell cabinet and instead of plastic plugs and number eights he used toggle bolts, smart move.

A few weeks later the sub took a second hit, the thugs pried the new lock off the meter room door, again cut the phone line and ripped the bell cabinet down taking a part of the wall with it.

My tech went back and I asked him this time to secure at least two of the four mounting holes to a stud in the wall and toggle the other side.

Like a broken record they came back and tried again only this time no burglary, but was my butt pulled into it, turned out my tech got a bright idea.

The bell cabinet had a door on the front hinged on the left which would close up activating a tamper switch and was secured by two screws on the right

My tech after setting the two screws installed 8 single edge razor blades between the bell cabinet and the top edge of the door and he then propped them up with snapped off pieces of a popsicle stick.

When the thug grabbed the top of the bell cabinet to pull it down he left behind a whole bunch of four fingers and the ends of the others…

I was contacted by my answering service telling me the police are demanding I get by behind down there now, I get to the store about 3 in the morning and the first question I am hit with is “do you know anything about this.”

Huh what about what and they have me go up a ladder braced against an ice storage bin where after I see the top of the bell cabinet I develop a sudden desire to get down off the ladder.

In the end the upside was the cops literally had his finger prints, the downside was he sued my company and the store for his injuries, but it was never settled due him to assuming room temperature after getting into a dispute with another thug prior to settlement.