dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to bt

to bt

Re: Time for the "locked in a hot car" stories again..

Edmonton city police warn that charges will be laid if children are left in sweltering vehciles

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

said by jaberi:

Edmonton city police warn that charges will be laid if children are left in sweltering vehciles

It's a hot one here today, apparently the hottest day in Edmonton since records began in 1880's (only because of the very high humidty). 33C, with the Humidex it's 43C. Tornado warnings this evening. Might be a long, sleepless night.
Kitlope

Kitlope to jaberi

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Well, that didn't take long.
quote:
Childs condition unknown after being left in car.

By Mariam Ibrahim, Edmonton Journal July 2, 2013 10:21 PM

EDMONTON - A child was in hospital in unknown condition Tuesday night after being left unattended in a vehicle in northeast Edmonton as temperatures soared above 30 C.

Police responded shortly after 6:30 p.m. to the Parkridge Estates townhouse complex at 2908 116A Ave., after receiving reports of a child in medical distress, said Edmonton police spokeswoman Leila Daoud.

Daoud said she did not know how long the child had been left in the vehicle before police were called. She also could not say who was caring for the child at the time.

»www.edmontonjournal.com/ ··· ory.html
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Kitlope:

Well, that didn't take long.

Shit, you'd think the recent news stories would get people to pay attention for a while....

....but we may be dealing with some people who are totally oblivious to ANY news.

Even here in the metro New York area, my secretary had a friend who was totally oblivious when 9/11 happened, it made no impression on her at all....
jaberi

jaberi to Kitlope

to Kitlope
that child was 3 years old....maybe that is why the police warned they will lay charges for unattended children....it was 44.4 with humidex
jaberi

1 edit

jaberi

Three-year-old girl left in sweltering Edmonton car dies

A three-year-old girl left alone in an oven-like car has died and the police homicide unit is investigating.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/e ··· eat.html

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

said by jaberi:

A three-year-old girl left alone in an oven-like car has died and the police homicide unit is investigating.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/e ··· eat.html

Just one of two incidents yesterday in Edmonton. The hottest day the city has ever experienced since weather records began in the 1880's, when counting the high humidity (real temp 33C, with humidex 43C). Fuck some people are stupid.

»www.edmontonjournal.com/ ··· ory.html
jaberi

jaberi

Death of Ontario toddler left in car was 'senseless,' funeral hears

MILTON, Ont. - Some shed tears, others held one another while a few just looked shell-shocked as they gathered Wednesday to mourn an Ontario toddler who died last week after being left alone in a sweltering car.

The funeral for Maximus Huyskens, held at a church west of Toronto, drew family, friends and even some strangers, united in their empathy for parents who had just lost their two-year-old.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/funera ··· 773.html

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
These idiots should be in jail for years after being sterlized..........how stupid can you be?
jaberi

jaberi to Kitlope

to Kitlope
i don't even know what to say
every year we read these stories of neglect, and just when you think it can't be repeated ever again we have more of the same....:(
jaberi

1 edit

jaberi

Death of tot who died in hot vehicle ruled non-criminal

Investigators have determined that Tsi-Tsi Chitekedza, who died Tuesday, was not left in the vehicle by a parent or guardian.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/e ··· her.html
jaberi

jaberi

i can't see a 3 year old child opening doors of a vehicle, and climbing in on her own?
what do the rest of you think?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

i can't see a 3 year old child opening doors of a vehicle, and climbing in on her own?

If you read a few posts up there were at least two incidents where children of this age had done just this. I know at a pretty young age my parents put a slide lock at the top of the doors leading to the outside of the house we lived in. Seems like it only took me a minute to sneak off and open the doors. It had to be something I couldn't reach.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

I have a fifteen month old who can already turn a door knob to open a door and remove the ties we put around cupboards to stop him from getting inside. He has learned how to knock over the gates we put up to limit his access in the house, and will now climb up onto the couch to "sit" and watch TV like his mom and dad. He also, to my amazement, changed the channel on the TV using the remote the other day, albeit he didn't know what channel he was changing it to (and it wasn't random pretting, he pointed it at the TV, pressed the number buttons and changed the channel.) He's a smart bugger to say the least.

So yeah, I wouldn't put anything past a three year old as far as getting into a car goes. I will say now that this stuff scares the living shit out of me to think about, especially since I've got a kid barely 30 inches tall who is smart enough to move a toy in front of a door that he can turn the handle to open it and then will move the toy out of the way to open it up at just barely over a year old.
jaberi

jaberi

yes, i agree on toddlers twisting and turning all sorts of door knobs and barriers the parents install to prevent accidents.........what i was questioning and should have clarified, is the 3 year old's strength in opening a vehicle door......if it was pushing the door in maybe they have the strength, but pulling open a car door is heavy for a young toddler...i can't visualize this child getting in on her own, and then she would have to shut that door as well wouldn't she?...if she left the door open she would have been alive wouldn't she....
to me the story sounds there might have been someone else who helped her in, even if it was an older kid who then then forgot about her....

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

to me the story sounds there might have been someone else who helped her in, even if it was an older kid who then then forgot about her....

Could have been. Then again, I still manage to remember bits and pieces of the days leading up to my fourth birthday. I used to open up the car door, albeit with a lot of effort. It is entirely plausible that she may have done it.

The bigger issue is those goddamn child safety seats and auto-locking doors. Child safety locks should be banned, and a locked door should always automatically open from the inside. It wouldn't prevent deaths of children who are restrained in car seats (though some are pretty impressive and can manage to get themselves out) but it would certainly improve the chances for a toddler who manages to get in.

From what happened in Edmonton, it sounds like the little girl got into the car and fell asleep. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

At 3? For sure. I have two kids and could successfully escape from the car by that age. I say "the" car, as some cars are different. Some car are harder to escape from and perhaps not possible. (The new Fords require you to hit a button up front to escape)

Anyway, my kid got 'trapped' in a car. I had put her in the back seat, she had taken my keys, unknown to me, and promptly locked me out after I shut her door. Let me tell you, it was hot, and I was freaking. But I called my wife up right away, since it's a five minute walk from the mall to our house. I had already been scouted out rocks, in case I couldn't get a hold of her. During the 5 minutes wait, which seems like 10 hours, I was trying to get my daughter to unlocked the doors. She just looked at me and laughed and thought it was the greatest time ever. Wife got there, in 6 minutes, car wasn't too hot, kid was fine, still laughing. She was only 18 months old at the time, and didn't know how to work the buttons in the car.

Lesson learned, always carry a spare key in your wallet.