Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

1 recommendation

Asiabound to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness

Re: Burglar proof the house? Camera options too

I can't make any suggestions about security systems, but I do have a camera facing my long driveway to capture any license plates or faces of those unwelcome. What we do have, however, is two Border Collies with superior intelligence and deep voices. Their barking is more than enough to deter anyone from breaking in. If they should break in though, they will be wearing a couple of angry black and white stoles, and, won't be leaving until we come home... in the back seat of a patrol car.

Can you get a dog or two? They are the best defense.
28727686 (banned)
join:2013-04-08

28727686 (banned)

said by Asiabound:

Can you get a dog or two? They are the best defense.

Unless you train them to attack people they don't know they are of little use as home defense. At best they will bark and if the people don't leave they will bark again. Feel free to go watch some reruns of 'It Takes a Thief' if you'd like to see multiple cases of how this works.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It ··· _series)

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
Mabinay

1 recommendation

Asiabound

Premium Member

said by 28727686:

Feel free to go watch some reruns of 'It Takes a Thief' if you'd like to see multiple cases of how this works.

A television show, for entertainment purposes only.
Even my dogs are laughing.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

jester121 to Asiabound

Premium Member

to Asiabound
said by Asiabound:

I can't make any suggestions about security systems, but I do have a camera facing my long driveway to capture any license plates or faces of those unwelcome. What we do have, however, is two Border Collies with superior intelligence and deep voices. Their barking is more than enough to deter anyone from breaking in. If they should break in though, they will be wearing a couple of angry black and white stoles, and, won't be leaving until we come home... in the back seat of a patrol car.

We should arrange for me to come up and test that theory sometime, CB -- combination wargames/pen-testing!

I bet that a couple of McD's cheeseburgers would go a long way toward having you come home to find me sitting on your sofa with two new black andwhite friends.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by jester121:

I bet that a couple of McD's cheeseburgers would go a long way toward having you come home to find me sitting on your sofa with two new black andwhite friends.

If you are not into making friends, there is a little white pill that can be rolled up into a ball of ground beef that will after about 20 minutes assure you of a good six hours of snoozing dog.

Which is more than enough time to not only clean out the safe, but to load up the major appliances as well...

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
Mabinay

1 recommendation

Asiabound to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
said by jester121:

We should arrange for me to come up and test that theory sometime, CB -- combination wargames/pen-testing!

I'd love to test this. Let's do it! Antioch is a hell of a lot closer to you than Rockford.

About three years ago just after we bought this place, my niece's classmate came over to pick her up, but we weren't home yet. The poor kid got out of his car and approached the fence, but immediately decided to get back in his car and wait. Wags was pissed and about to come over the fence.
My mother said the same thing when she came to return a shovel two years ago while we were gone for the day. She didn't get out of her car - I found our shovel down by my mailbox.
The dogs know my mother really well, too. Especially Arnie, who taught Wags this behavior..... if we are not home, get the f--- out.

Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

2 edits

Critsmcgee to Asiabound

to Asiabound
deleted
Critsmcgee

4 edits

Critsmcgee to Asiabound

to Asiabound
said by Asiabound:

said by jester121:

I'd love to test this. Let's do it! Antioch is a hell of a lot closer to you than Rockford.

About three years ago just after we bought this place, my niece's classmate came over to pick her up, but we weren't home yet. The poor kid got out of his car and approached the fence, but immediately decided to get back in his car and wait. Wags was pissed and about to come over the fence.
My mother said the same thing when she came to return a shovel two years ago while we were gone for the day. She didn't get out of her car - I found our shovel down by my mailbox.
The dogs know my mother really well, too. Especially Arnie, who taught Wags this behavior..... if we are not home, get the f--- out.
[Att=1]
[Att=2]

I'll pay for the food or a dog toy! I'm with Jester121. The problem with dogs is they are pack animals so people who understand that can defeat it unless the dog is specially trained. Knowledge is power. For every measure there's a countermeasure. The goal in home defense is to make your measures so great that no one wants to use the countermeasures required like what RLXO has, specially trained dogs. When risk exceeds reward they'll leave you alone but border collies......

We have a rottie/shepherd mix. If he senses your scared he'll bark, growl, and look mean like any dog. That's you niece's classmate or the 'typical' person who doesn't understand dogs. Not long ago I had our deck redone and one of the contractors own 2 dogs. I let our dog out to go to the bathroom thinking they left but he was still there. Our dog started into protect mode but the contractor yelled loudly at him in an authoritative voice to lay down. I ran out and our dog was laying down. I've done it myself on other people's dogs too. I use camera's for home security. The dog is here to help but I wouldn't trust him to handle it alone. I also wouldn't want him getting hurt or in harms way. Camera's can deter people away from the house and keep my dog safe! If people want in with all that then nothing will stop them. The camera's will help ID the people after that fact then.

Do you see Border Collie on the list?
»www.cesarsway.com/dogbeh ··· otection

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

said by Critsmcgee:

Do you see Border Collie on the list?
»www.cesarsway.com/dogbeh ··· otection

No, but, my situation here is somewhat unique. About 11 years ago, I quit the printing industry and went into business for ourselves. This allows me to spend most of my time working from home, right next to my dogs.
Border Collies are extremely intelligent - most sources say the most intelligent. Couple that intelligence with an owner who spends an awful lot of time working with them everyday (me), and you end up with a dog that will protect your family, home and property quite well.

I sell at many craft shows and flea markets. When my family comes with me, the dogs come along, too. Neither of my dogs will allow anyone to approach my daughter without the "ok" from me. Wags (on the right) is a little less serious about this, but, Arnie on the left - he will stand between my daughter and any stranger, and do the "look like I'm smiling mother-f---er?" teeth thing until the person backs off.

I look forward to testing this with Jester, and you too, if you live close enough. After the first test of arriving when we're not home, I'd like to take it a bit further and have one of you act like you're attacking me. Bring your insulated coveralls.
Wags, on the right, weighs 91 pounds. Arnie weighs 85. Not large, but, strong and tireless.

Personally, I'm not going to mess with any medium to large sized dog. I suspect most people are the same as me. Your contractor would not have had much success getting either of my dogs to lay down. In fact, they'd probably be annoyed that a stranger was trying to command them.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to Critsmcgee

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

The problem with dogs is they are pack animals so people who understand that can defeat it unless the dog is specially trained.

If you want to protect a home with an animal you need something silent and sneaky, like a cat.

Back in my thirties I was working in a rather nice home of a cat lover, we had a high loss on a coax run to his home office and I was sitting cross-legged under a desk shooting a tone to the guy in the attic trying to find the proper coax.

Suddenly to my left I heard purring, not kitty-kitty purring, but something like a Harley parked outside idling, purring.

I looked left and was eye-ball to eye-ball to a cat, a really big cat.

That was shall we say a rather “puckering” moment.

Cats, no growling, no barking and no warning and it’s an animal that if it’s not hungry, it will just “play" with its prey, just to watch it die.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

1 edit

02778712 (banned) to Asiabound

to Asiabound
said by Asiabound:

I sell at many craft shows and flea markets. When my family comes with me, the dogs come along, too. Neither of my dogs will allow anyone to approach my daughter without the "ok" from me. Wags (on the right) is a little less serious about this, but, Arnie on the left - he will stand between my daughter and any stranger, and do the "look like I'm smiling mother-f---er?" teeth thing until the person backs off.

Most dogs are protective but if you are with the dogs a thief would be more scared of you. Overall they aren't that effective vs a trained and determined thief. On the other hand a lot of thieves will pass on a place with dogs. I mean really who wants dog hair covered and/or dog destroyed stuff? Electronics in a dog house have been sucking up dog hair for who knows how long. The furniture is worthless since you can't get all that dog hair out. The only thing you could get without any issues would be cash or jewelry. How much of that can you expect a dog owner to have either? They spend hundreds of dollars extra every month for the dogs so they don't have that much extra typically.

Go buy an ultrasonic dog tool and see how your dogs like them.
»www.ultimatebarkcontrol. ··· od5GwAlA

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
Mabinay

1 recommendation

Asiabound

Premium Member

said by 02778712:

The only thing you could get without any issues would be cash or jewelry. How much of that can you expect a dog owner to have either? They spend hundreds of dollars extra every month for the dogs so they don't have that much extra typically.

Ok, sure. Keep believing that.
I've got two extra garages. One of them is larger than your house.

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to 02778712

Premium Member

to 02778712
said by 02778712:

The only thing you could get without any issues would be cash or jewelry. How much of that can you expect a dog owner to have either? They spend hundreds of dollars extra every month for the dogs so they don't have that much extra typically.

That's a ridiculous statement...
02778712 (banned)
MA

02778712 (banned)

said by Postal8:

said by 02778712:

That doesn't make it any less true...

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to 02778712

Premium Member

to 02778712
said by 02778712:

said by Asiabound:

Most dogs are protective but if you are with the dogs a thief would be more scared of you. Overall they aren't that effective vs a trained and determined thief. On the other hand a lot of thieves will pass on a place with dogs. I mean really who wants dog hair covered and/or dog destroyed stuff? Electronics in a dog house have been sucking up dog hair for who knows how long. The furniture is worthless since you can't get all that dog hair out. The only thing you could get without any issues would be cash or jewelry. How much of that can you expect a dog owner to have either? They spend hundreds of dollars extra every month for the dogs so they don't have that much extra typically.

Must be a show dog if your spending several hundred dollars a month.
it only cost about $25 a month in dog food a month to have dog.
02778712 (banned)
MA

02778712 (banned)

said by Anonymous_:

said by 02778712:

said by Asiabound:

Must be a show dog if your spending several hundred dollars a month.
it only cost about $25 a month in dog food a month to have dog.

Does a steak cost the same as a value meal burger? Do you only get a burger or do you get fries and a drink sometimes? Do you take your pet to the vet for annuals? Do you have to get a city/state license? What happens if they get injured? Do you buy them treats? Toys? Board them when you go on vacation? Like everything in life there's tons of variables that play into the cost of an animal. Most people would be luck to only spend $100 a month.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by 02778712:

Does a steak cost the same as a value meal burger? Do you only get a burger or do you get fries and a drink sometimes? Do you take your pet to the vet for annuals? Do you have to get a city/state license? What happens if they get injured? Do you buy them treats? Toys? Board them when you go on vacation? Like everything in life there's tons of variables that play into the cost of an animal. Most people would be luck to only spend $100 a month.

city lic is about 15$ a year about 1$ per month the total is about 30$ a month for shots,food and lic on average. we do not go on vacation.
02778712 (banned)
MA

2 edits

02778712 (banned)

said by Anonymous_:

said by 02778712:

city lic is about 15$ a year about 1$ per month the total is about 30$ a month for shots,food and lic on average. we do not go on vacation.

That's great but how does that apply to the average person? Your original statement should read. "it only cost me about $25 a month in dog food a month to have dog." It costs ME $36.83 a month in dog food. That's giving them a perfectly measures amount everyday specified by the vet. I've got the costs tracked over the last 3 years for our dog to the penny. Nothing excessive or special just normal stuff the average person does. I seriously doubt most people have any idea what they spend. Cost accounting isn't something the average person does.

Does your dog go outside? Do you use a treatment for flees like Frontline? That's over $10 a month right there.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k to 02778712

Premium Member

to 02778712
said by 02778712:

said by Postal8:

said by 02778712:

That doesn't make it any less true...

Well, it's "ridiculousness" does imply it's nonsensical, far-from-true nature.

Very few people spend "hundreds" of dollars each month on dogs. A very few do, I'm sure, but that's just silly in the big picture. Hundreds per year is what we spend on our two dogs.

As for homes with dogs having less wealth (and less desirable stuff to steal), I'd be more than happy to see your references for that. Can you site any cites, or are you blowing this out from where the sun don't shine?
02778712 (banned)
MA

4 edits

02778712 (banned)

said by garys_2k:

Well, it's "ridiculousness" does imply it's nonsensical, far-from-true nature.

Very few people spend "hundreds" of dollars each month on dogs. A very few do, I'm sure, but that's just silly in the big picture. Hundreds per year is what we spend on our two dogs.

As for homes with dogs having less wealth (and less desirable stuff to steal), I'd be more than happy to see your references for that. Can you site any cites, or are you blowing this out from where the sun don't shine?

The "ridiculousness" is people have no idea what they spend. They can guess what they think they spend but in reality they have no clue. I'd say the same about monthly food, gas, utilities, etc. Most people have no idea what they average on stuff per month. Even the ones who claim to know tend to miss stuff. There's nothing wrong this fact either. It really doesn't matter in the grand scope of things. Ballparks get most people close like hand grenades but it's still a wide net. Search your local SPCA site and you'll find a ballpark between $125-300 a month is what they give new dog owners. They ballpark the average lifetime cost of a dog around $18,000 with the average years being 11. That breaks down to $136.36 a month for the average dog. If they get hurt or ingest some chocolate once in their life that can add another $1,000-3,000 right there. If you feed them cheap food you can expect a trip for Feline Urinary Tract Disease at some point for $1,500-3,000. It's only a matter of when not if. Hopefully they didn't destroy anything either with teeth, paws, or urine because that's money that needs to be added to the running total as well. An accident on your hardwood floors can easily become a huge expense. Any expense incurred as a direct result of owning a dog needs to be added to the running total.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I budget ALL of my expenses, weekly, and do know the full costs of my two dogs. Food, vet, boarding, the works, it all boils down to about $600/year. It's not a lot.

As for destroying furniture, yeah, that can be expensive but make sure that the depreciated cost of the furniture is what's calculated, not just replacement cost. We did have one dog tear up a couch, but it was already past old so I can't say that the dog was responsible for destroying it, it was 80% gone when she got to it.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear about your assertion regarding the point you made that dog owners' stuff is less desirable than non-dog owners'. Do you have a source for that, or is it your opinion/guess?

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

PSWired

Threadlock in 3, 2, 1...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to 02778712

Premium Member

to 02778712
said by 02778712:

They ballpark the average lifetime cost of a dog around $18,000 with the average years being 11. That breaks down to $136.36 a month for the average dog. If they get hurt or ingest some chocolate once in their life that can add another $1,000-3,000 right there. If you feed them cheap food you can expect a trip for Feline Urinary Tract Disease at some point for $1,500-3,000. It's only a matter of when not if.

That is one confused species dog, not being feline in *any* possible way. It's neither when nor if that a Canine can get Feline Urinary Tract Disease.