join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B

Re: [Connectivity] Alternative to Comncast? I'm furious!

The really low speed tests are odd considering the modem levels and tracert you posted, which were good when captured them. That slow could be a wireless issue, but you can't tell unless you TRY a direct wired ethernet connection.

This sort of thing is troubleshooting 101... any ISP you signup with will go through similar steps. If you don't cooperate with the basic steps, it's difficult to help you with your issues and problems drag on.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by DocDrew:

The really low speed tests are odd considering the modem levels and tracert you posted, which were good when captured them. That slow could be a wireless issue, but you can't tell unless you TRY a direct wired ethernet connection.

This sort of thing is troubleshooting 101... any ISP you signup with will go through similar steps. If you don't cooperate with the basic steps, it's difficult to help you with your issues and problems drag on.

people have been trying to tell her to run a wire from a pc to the modem directly and observe if it still disconnects...but she wouldn't listen....or try....

people have been suggesting that the wireless signals are the issue coming from the modem but she keeps on ranting out that it's Comcast fault rather than go around it and help her self....

I can't understand why she can't run a wire in her house when she keeps complaining about the wireless signals and is very adamant that wires can't be run....if she's in a house, there will always be a way to run it....heck, even in an apartment....
spud3
join:2007-03-24
Constantine, MI

spud3

said by Melissa2009B:

said by medbuyer:

people have been trying to tell her to run a wire from a pc to the modem directly and observe if it still disconnects...but she wouldn't listen....or try....

people have been suggesting that the wireless signals are the issue coming from the modem but she keeps on ranting out that it's Comcast fault rather than go around it and help her self....

I can't understand why she can't run a wire in her house when she keeps complaining about the wireless signals and is very adamant that wires can't be run....if she's in a house, there will always be a way to run it....heck, even in an apartment....

Or why it has to be in the kitchen up high Like that's going to help
A typical wireless access point using 802.11b or 802.11g with a stock antenna might have a range of 120 ft indoors she has a 80' house and has 802.11n that should double the range move it to one end where you can easily plug in Ethernet

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
Agree with there is always a way to run wire.
I have had situations that I have had to run them in a cold air return, which is allowed by code in our state if you use plenum wire.
There is wire mold and many other ways. So never say never when it comes to wire.
It appears the lady is bent on blaming Comcast rather than looking for the best solution no matter who's at fault.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

DocDrew to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
There could be multiple issues.... a modem signal issues causing modem disconnects and a wireless issue causing slow speeds. I see some signs of both.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by DocDrew:

There could be multiple issues.... a modem signal issues causing modem disconnects and a wireless issue causing slow speeds. I see some signs of both.

when she signed up and got her HSI installed, everything worked fine for her.....it was the wireless signals that keep on disconnecting her that's been her nemesis....

everybody told her to get this reliable modem and this reliable wireless router BUT she didn't listen... even after buying a wireless router, she couldn't for the life of her figure out how to configure her network.......she's got 2 pc's, 2 roku's a GBTV and some cameras around her house...all of which she's trying to run wirelessly...all because she didn't want to run wires...

my money is on the TG682 and that's been chronicled here extensively together with her tech troubleshooting skills...
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Yeah, and random radio frequency interference could account for all of this, as it happens pretty randomly, then stops. Spud's theory could be right.
spud3
join:2007-03-24
Constantine, MI

spud3 to medbuyer

to medbuyer
Interesting read
Why OH why run it to the Kitchen when you never had cable
And there is nothing in there for it but lots of interference what else is on the self you know 3' up isn't doing anything upper floor yes 3' from the wall might.
Also away from metal appliances
like say a... stove or refrigerator even a toaster oven add microwave oven some fluorescent lights ya the kitchens the idea place
Your Roku player would stream better over Ethernet network using an Ethernet cable
run Comcast cable close one of them WiFi to the other a quick Google
found plenty running a TG682 over 100' full signal just as many not if you can't then find the interference
ARRIS clams 100'G to 200'N indoors
So you have a wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay
That could do it Wonder what else
I agree asking one box to do it all is to much and cable is easy to run
How many times have you called GBTV and Comcast support because of your WiFi that may of be caused by a no name wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay or your microwave oven next to your TG682
Have you even logged into the Comcast wireless router and even changed the channel/frequency
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

said by spud3:

Interesting read
Why OH why run it to the Kitchen when you never had cable

I'm a former electronics R&D technician and ham radio operator from years ago. My reasoning was that this house is about 80 feet long by 30 feet wide. We have Roku boxes in 2 bedrooms at opposite ends of the house, and PC's nearer to the kitchen than the Rokus are. The kitchen was the most centrally located point though, for all of it, and I figured that, being the wireless is in the Ghz region, RFI wouldn't be that much of a concern, and putting it up high would cover better. ( we have no basement here, just the crawl space )

As far as kitchen lights, they're VERY rarely on, and the microwave is rarely used. I suspect that if this is RFI, it's coming in from somewhere else outside the house, as there seems to be nothing going on at the times when this happens, here in the house.

As far as distance from the appliances you mentioned, this is a distance from any. They're all at least 12 feet away and this is at the center line of the house. It IS against a small wall, though.

... Your Roku player would stream better over Ethernet network using an Ethernet cable

Perhaps, BUT we bought wireless Roku players and would have to buy new ones if we switched to ether net. This could get costly.

run Comcast cable close one of them WiFi to the other

Was that the end of sentence? I'm confused here...

a quick Google
found plenty running a TG682 over 100' full signal just as many not if you can't then find the interference
ARRIS clams 100'G to 200'N indoors

OK, but finding the interference could be a problem, if it comes from outside.

So you have a wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay
That could do it

Nope, don't have one yet, but would like one.

Wonder what else
I agree asking one box to do it all is to much and cable is easy to run

Like I said though, we have this modular house on a foundation, with insulation still up under the floor, and plastic sheet covering it, in the crawl space. Would have to pay a tech to come in and run all that cable, in those conditions.

How many times have you called GBTV and Comcast support because of your WiFi that may of be caused by a no name wireless PTZ night vision IP camera from E-bay or your microwave oven next to your TG682
Have you even logged into the Comcast wireless router and even changed the channel/frequency

The Comcast modem has had to be rebooted about once a week anyway, so I'm still not 100% certain that these problems arent coming from them. But we run into the wall every time, because they just won support wireless. I think I have tried changing the frequency, yes, didn't help. Don't recall now, it's been 9 months.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer

said by Melissa2009B:

Like I said though, we have this modular house on a foundation, with insulation still up under the floor, and plastic sheet covering it, in the crawl space. Would have to pay a tech to come in and run all that cable, in those conditions.

did it ever occur to you that you can run wires in the attic?
said by Melissa2009B:

I'm a former electronics R&D technician and ham radio operator from years ago. My reasoning was that this house is about 80 feet long by 30 feet wide. We have Roku boxes in 2 bedrooms at opposite ends of the house, and PC's nearer to the kitchen than the Rokus are. The kitchen was the most centrally located point though, for all of it, and I figured that, being the wireless is in the Ghz region, RFI wouldn't be that much of a concern, and putting it up high would cover better. ( we have no basement here, just the crawl space )

I would relocate that modem location as well as that was a purely misguided thought.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
You could relocate the modem to one end of your home where it can be hardwired to a PC. Then when you get a chance, run ethernet to the other end of your home and connect it to the wireless router you have. Set that router up as an AP, match the wireless network SSIDs between them, and you've got a 2 node mesh. Better wireless coverage, with wired ports available on either end of the home, and just a single long ethernet between them.

It's what I do at my own home... with a Netgear WNR3500 router.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

said by DocDrew:

You could relocate the modem to one end of your home where it can be hardwired to a PC. Then when you get a chance, run ethernet to the other end of your home and connect it to the wireless router you have. Set that router up as an AP, match the wireless network SSIDs between them, and you've got a 2 node mesh. Better wireless coverage, with wired ports available on either end of the home, and just a single long ethernet between them.

Sounds complicated. The TG862 is a modem that can be bridged to a router but the router isn't stand alone, so this is confusing me.

Anyway, we may just have to have someone run ethernet cables to the two PC's and then buy ethernet Rokus. Sounds costly.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

Sounds complicated. The TG862 is a modem that can be bridged to a router but the router isn't stand alone, so this is confusing me.

The TG862 is a modem/router. The other Netgear you have can be changed to AP (access point) mode which basically turns off the router/firewall/DHCP/DNS functions, but still allows use of the wireless and ethernet ports. All the firewall/router/DHCP/DNS settings are done on the TG862.

If it's too complicated, you're going to have to spend the cash to wire back to the one location where the TG862 is.

BEFORE doing that, temp wire the modem to one PC and see if the speed and other connection issues are still a problem. Some or all problems may still occur, depending on what is ACTUALLY wrong.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

said by DocDrew:

Anyway, we may just have to have someone run ethernet cables to the two PC's and then buy ethernet Rokus. Sounds costly.

the simpler the solution the better....run a wire...
medbuyer

medbuyer to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by Melissa2009B:

The TG862 is a modem/router. The other Netgear you have can be changed to AP (access point) mode which basically turns off the router/firewall/DHCP/DNS functions, but still allows use of the wireless and ethernet ports. All the firewall/router/DHCP/DNS settings are done on the TG862.

If it's too complicated, you're going to have to spend the cash to wire back to the one location where the TG862 is.

BEFORE doing that, temp wire the modem to one PC and see if the speed and other connection issues are still a problem. Some or all problems may still occur, depending on what is ACTUALLY wrong.

++++++111111

»www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· sp?id=79

"The TG862 combines two analog voice lines, a 4-port Gigabit Router, and a 802.11n wireless access point into a single device capable of supporting both home and small office applications."

let's see if she'll listen to your suggestions about running a temp wire or running any wire at all...

she's been complaining about it being costly and all that but she still whines about the connection issues and blames Comcast for everything.....
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by Melissa2009B:

Would be very hard to do that. The cable comes in, in the kitchen, to that modem shelf. My PC is on my desk, installed with massive cabling to printers, etc.

gwbuffalo
join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

1 recommendation

gwbuffalo

said by Melissa2009B:

Would be very hard to do that. The cable comes in, in the kitchen, to that modem shelf. My PC is on my desk, installed with massive cabling to printers, etc.

Are you REALLY saying it is too hard to plug an Ethernet cable into your PC?? At this point I really don't understand why anyone is offering you help at all.