join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B

Re: [Connectivity] Alternative to Comncast? I'm furious!

said by Melissa2009B:

Sounds complicated. The TG862 is a modem that can be bridged to a router but the router isn't stand alone, so this is confusing me.

The TG862 is a modem/router. The other Netgear you have can be changed to AP (access point) mode which basically turns off the router/firewall/DHCP/DNS functions, but still allows use of the wireless and ethernet ports. All the firewall/router/DHCP/DNS settings are done on the TG862.

If it's too complicated, you're going to have to spend the cash to wire back to the one location where the TG862 is.

BEFORE doing that, temp wire the modem to one PC and see if the speed and other connection issues are still a problem. Some or all problems may still occur, depending on what is ACTUALLY wrong.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by DocDrew:

said by Melissa2009B:

Sounds complicated. The TG862 is a modem that can be bridged to a router but the router isn't stand alone, so this is confusing me.

The TG862 is a modem/router. The other Netgear you have can be changed to AP (access point) mode which basically turns off the router/firewall/DHCP/DNS functions, but still allows use of the wireless and ethernet ports. All the firewall/router/DHCP/DNS settings are done on the TG862.

If it's too complicated, you're going to have to spend the cash to wire back to the one location where the TG862 is.

BEFORE doing that, temp wire the modem to one PC and see if the speed and other connection issues are still a problem. Some or all problems may still occur, depending on what is ACTUALLY wrong.

++++++111111

»www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· sp?id=79

"The TG862 combines two analog voice lines, a 4-port Gigabit Router, and a 802.11n wireless access point into a single device capable of supporting both home and small office applications."

let's see if she'll listen to your suggestions about running a temp wire or running any wire at all...

she's been complaining about it being costly and all that but she still whines about the connection issues and blames Comcast for everything.....
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by Melissa2009B:

Would be very hard to do that. The cable comes in, in the kitchen, to that modem shelf. My PC is on my desk, installed with massive cabling to printers, etc.

gwbuffalo
join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

1 recommendation

gwbuffalo

said by Melissa2009B:

Would be very hard to do that. The cable comes in, in the kitchen, to that modem shelf. My PC is on my desk, installed with massive cabling to printers, etc.

Are you REALLY saying it is too hard to plug an Ethernet cable into your PC?? At this point I really don't understand why anyone is offering you help at all.