how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

njmarchetti

join:2013-07-09
reply to njmarchetti

Re: New firmware version for REV I router: 40.20.7

Looks like those are the Firmware Update check ins. They occur every 24 hours from the first check in time. Just tried to downgrade the firmware to 40.20.2 again and the router immediately checked in and upgraded to 40.20.7, so I am at a loss for what to try next

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to njmarchetti
Personally I don't think that firmware version has anything to do with it directly since I'm seeing those errors at different years on different models with different firmware versions, but it seems to be related to firmware update checks.
»What does this mean from the Actiontec logs?

»businessforums.verizon.net/t5/Fi···p/292155

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter···-p/21726

»businessforums.verizon.net/t5/Fi···p/402587

»toddsnotes.blogspot.com/2010/03/···are.html
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to njmarchetti
You can always download the update totally manually (use the same URL that is shown on the automatic update page. and mentioned earlier in this thread). But instead of having the router try to do it, you do it. Pointing at the URL causes a download to occur to wherever you want. Then after the download is complete you can tell the router to install from a file on your machine. Works more reliably sometimes then the automatic update. I had to use it at least on one router that kept failing the automatic update.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
and just to add to what tnsprin said, do it from a wired Ethernet connected computer because that's the most reliable connection to the router. (Every router I've ever upgraded always recommends this, so there must be some truth to this) I think it's because wireless has too many variables like a critical bit not getting passed or the wireless dropping in the middle of the upgrade process which could brick the router.
--

dkamerman

join:2013-07-31
Ashland, MA
reply to ropweirp
Hey im trying to allow the Universal Plug N Play, but it seems to have dissapeared on the 40.20.7
In its place are SIP ALG and MGCP ALG, can anyone help me find it?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
This is all I could find. »192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active%5fpage=900 From what I've read on this forum, the UPnP page has been hidden for quite some time so it isn't related to the 40.20.7 update.
--

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

2 edits
reply to ropweirp
I had previously posted that I thought that the new Rev I firmware broke support for Vista. Well, I took another look at the laptop, and I'm not really sure if it's Vista, or the fact that this laptop has a b/g WiFi card, and not N.

Did the recent firmware update, bork b/g support? Is anyone running a "G" wifi device with an Rev I router on the new firmware?

It's not a problem with WPA2-PSK, because I'm using the same laptop to connect to my cell phone running an Android Hotspot on N, with the laptop's wifi "G", using WPA2-PSK.

It's so wierd, that the laptop would work fine when the FIOS was first installed, but it stopped working at some unknown point after the new Rev I firmware update.

The laptop gets an IP address and a default gateway and DNS server, but it shows "local only", "public network", and "unidentified network". It never gets around to identifying the network.

I CANNOT ping the default gateway, nor can I connect to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Walked over to my new apt, where I had FIOS moved to and installed recently, and I have a Rev F router with 15/5 service and TV. Put in the router password, NO PROBLEMS. Got on the net just fine.

Since I was able to get on the net with both my Android Smartphone, and my Rev F router connected to FIOS service, my thinking is that the laptop is fine, and that the problem is with the Rev I router and the new firmware.

Edit: I had a PremierTek PT-18N "Hermes" Wifi N adapter handy, so I connected it to the Vista laptop, and then was able to connect (and identify) to the problematic Rev I router. So it seems that the problem is not Vista, but something about the b/g built-in wifi card and the Rev I router not playing nice.

So strange that it can pull an IP and a default gateway, but it doesn't connect to the internet.