share rss forum feed

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5
reply to Goldheart

Re: [Money] In game store?

Blizzard wants their cake and to eat it as well. They are slowly going the micro-transaction route while still charging monthly fees. This is garbage if there isn't any way to legitimately pick up these items for gold.

If this is the first step in making WoW F2P, then I welcome it, though I am certain that as soon as F2P is implemented, the community will list this game as dead.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

first, they are just testing it out for some regions...

second, they won't be adding anything pay-for-bonus wise that could unbalance the server/world-first race. They won't mess with arenas in this regard either. No end-game content will be affected by these frills. It will just be all the stuff hardcores are too good to care about anyway (pet battles, leveling up characters, etc.) with the BMAH in the game, I think we might have to deal with real money in the BMAH at some point in the distant future... but that still won't really matter. If joe-casual needs to drop $50 bucks on gear so that he can perform at 80% efficiency of an normal raider with content-appropriate gear... so be it. At least we don't have to give joe-casual any gear for having been carried in his gucci threads.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5

Right now we can pay for vanity items such as mounts and pets as well as faction transfers, name changes and server transfers. The newest experiment is XP bonuses and Lesser Charms. There are many F2P games that do not offer pay 2 win (PoE) but are still micro-transaction based. Blizzard collects money for each xpac, then a monthly fee, and now additional items for sale without a real way to gain them through in-game money. Even GW2 allows you to convert gold to credits to use their store. Micro-transaction business models don't have to offer gear and many don't, yet we have a hybrid model approach with WoW were we pay a monthly fee and additional money for services and vanity items. The slippery slope is when we start seeing specific character upgrades such as $10 main bag upgrades.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1

I am out immediately if you can buy gear for $$.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JB:

we know... could barely keep you around when dungeons granted valor for raid-quality gear. That was quite the tussle.
--

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to JB

said by JB:

You already can, just not through Blizz.
--
Heghlu'meh qaq jajvam!

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3
reply to JB

said by JB:

Ditto

... unless it is ilvl 1 and makes you resemble a music celebrity who "pimps their ride" with rimz to insinuate the waste in money. Anyone who would spend money on useless gear will likely spend money on anything. So really, as long as their is no in game playable advantage to this gear, those buying it will be harmless. Below are my suggested buffs and debuffs.

-1 to good looks
-1 to charisma
-1 to style
-5 to intellect
-1 to mount speed

"I'm gonna pop some tags
Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I-I-I'm huntin'
Lookin' for a come up
This is f***ing awesome"

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Immer

Not really, they've been offering raid quality gear since TBC. I am all for that, in fact I think they have really done a really poor job at implementing catch-ups this expac. My problem was giving away TIER gear for nothing.(TOC) They have fixed that and I haven't said really too much about the whole matter since then.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

hehe... you've been fair, JB... just wanted to get some free jabs in on the raiders is all. /respect.
--

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
reply to Goldheart

Latest from Bashiok:

Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone. We’re still pretty early in the exploration process, but we did want to go into more detail about our rationale for introducing an in-game store, as well as provide some insight into what you might ultimately see available there.

For players who are already interested in the in-game items we offer, such as Pet Store pets and mounts, the benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear. We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that’s our long-term goal for the system, though there’s quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system.

First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved—including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more—your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game.

Ultimately it’s still too early in the process to make any final determinations about our plans, but in the meantime, we hope you’ll check out the in-game store once it’s implemented on the PTR and let us know what you think.

Original link:

»us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic···=88#1745

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

said by Goldheart:

First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune.

So...isn't that pretty much selling loot?

Criticals

join:2010-05-30

said by Thaler:

So...isn't that pretty much selling loot?

Selling the chance at loot. They are tip toeing though on a very very slippery slope. Still not quite there just yet though.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

The idea that I can hand Blizzard cash to get loot (where I'd otherwise not have gotten any) would suggest that they're stepping over the slippery slope. Well, at least in my opinion. I'm fine with there being silly mounts/hats/pets/etc. for cash...but when they're mixed with max level gear drops, that's over the line.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO

said by Thaler:

The idea that I can hand Blizzard cash to get loot (where I'd otherwise not have gotten any) would suggest that they're stepping over the slippery slope. Well, at least in my opinion. I'm fine with there being silly mounts/hats/pets/etc. for cash...but when they're mixed with max level gear drops, that's over the line.

I'm fine with the XP buff potion... I do agree that the "selling Lesser Charms" idea is tapdancing on a land mine, but I wouldn't equate it with "cash for max level gear drops". Currently a player does tons of dailies/quests to gain Lesser Charms, then exchanges those for Elder Charms/Mogu Runes, then uses those for bonus rolls on boss loot - you can't directly exchange Elder Charms/Mogu Runes for gear, as I'm sure you're aware. Selling Lesser Charms is not the same as dropping the loot in the player's bag... you're allowing them to skip the grind of several dozen dailies, in exchange for cash. Still - I hope that particular idea never makes it to live servers.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

said by Caelharrad:

Selling Lesser Charms is not the same as dropping the loot in the player's bag... you're allowing them to skip the grind of several dozen dailies, in exchange for cash.

*shrugs* I guess I see it the more direct way. However, that is a pretty big sign of F2P elements right there. Sure, they're not handing out the best-of-best gear for cash. However, it does separate level 90 (or whatever the cap is once implemented) into camps of "regular" and "premium paid" players.

I dunno. Once it's at that point, WoW will need to decide if it's going F2P or subscription-only. An MMO can't be both at the same time.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Thaler:

I dunno. Once it's at that point, WoW will need to decide if it's going F2P or subscription-only. An MMO can't be both at the same time.

not at all. Even if lesser charms were available for real money, they are so easy to get otherwise it wouldn't be remotely mandatory... therefore, no need to conflate an F2P ultimatum. Just roll with it... I don't see it ever being more than an expensive "catch up" mechanic. Seriously, the only problem with an eBay toon is you have to /kick them from the raid when they failhard... but if they are good, who cares who they got where they are?
--

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Goldheart

It's very common (particularly outside the US) for players to not have access to a creditcard or paypal account. Those players pay their monthly fees by going to their local game store and physically buying a gametime card. If one of those players wants to buy a sparkling pony, or other Blizzard Store item, they have no way to do that.

I think Blizzard's goal here may simply be to give those customers some way to spend real money on something other than gametime.

(Or maybe I am wrong, can you buy a sparkly pony through the store with game-time cards?)
--
/)_/) "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."
( . . )
C(")(")

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

LotRO (Turbine) is both F2P and Sub. A lot of things are shut off to a F2P account. There is nothing keeping a player from being successful (outside of purchasing expansions which can be earned free through their version of achievements) but a sub account will have many more perks making the game more fun and easier. However, you can buy virtual currency with real money to spend on buffs, account upgrades, statless costume clothing and mounts.

I think WoW can go that route. But then all of therir casuals will go F2P and their subs will drop dramatically as well as their income. I doubt Blizz will ever go the route of turbine prior to the release of 7.4 or whatever their last patch will be.

join:2013-07-08
MA
reply to saillaw

said by saillaw:

It's very common (particularly outside the US) for players to not have access to a creditcard or paypal account. Those players pay their monthly fees by going to their local game store and physically buying a gametime card. If one of those players wants to buy a sparkling pony, or other Blizzard Store item, they have no way to do that.

I think Blizzard's goal here may simply be to give those customers some way to spend real money on something other than gametime.

(Or maybe I am wrong, can you buy a sparkly pony through the store with game-time cards?)

I haven't used Blizzard's system but others just add money to your account. A 1 month game card is worth say $14.99 so when you add it you get a $14.99 credit on your account. Basically it's a gift card. If they don't handle them that way they can change to handle them that way if they choose. All the stuff I sold for real money on D3 went into my Blizzard account as a credit though so they have the ability to do it.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4
reply to Goldheart

I don't know that I can buy into the buying of Lesser Charms is just a catchup mechanic and not buying loot. It is true you can't directly buy loot with the charms, but it's not like you do anything except click "extra roll" and you are given the loot (sometimes obviously). Other than being forced to queue for an LFR, it's not a whole lot different than going to a vendor and clicking to buy something and sometimes getting it, sometimes not.

The premise that it is a catchup mechanic just because lesser charms are easy to get but time consuming... how is that different than LFR? LFR's are time consuming and easy. Hell, I could even make a strong argument that getting lesser charms is more difficult than running an LFR because at least you need to be at your keyboard and doing something to get the lesser charms (excluding botters). For LFRs, you can click follow on and read a magazine (except take time to click "roll" for those extra lootz with your purchased lesser charms).

I think essentially if you are buying lesser charms, you are buying loot.
--
Absölution -- 6/6 MSV, 4/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 3/12 ToT
Pride and Ego -- 6/6 MSV 1/6H, 6/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 2/12 ToT
CTR Azuregos -- 12/12 ToT

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to navymaverick

said by navymaverick:

LotRO (Turbine) is both F2P and Sub.

Having both F2P and Sub "premium" is a viable option. However, having subscription and subscription "extra" is not. I guess that's what I mean by an MMO not being able to be both F2P and subscription.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

Even if lesser charms were available for real money, they are so easy to get otherwise it wouldn't be remotely mandatory... therefore, no need to conflate an F2P ultimatum.

I didn't say that lesser charms were/weren't easy. I was saying that it's buying (even easily) obtainable gear. The impact it will have is debatable, but it's still a mechanic from a F2P model.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Goldheart

This will be the way most, if not all, future online games will be. Get use to it.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4

Followed shortly after by the following:

Free Lesser Charms this weekend only!!!

For this weekend only, Blizzard is giving away 50 lesser charms as a free trial offer.

Valid credit card number must be provided at the time of checkout. There will be a small $5 fee charged against the card to validate the legitimacy of the card. This $5 is in no way related to the purchase of lesser charms; We said those were free. Read it again if you need to. If after 15 days, you have not personally visited the CFO of Blizzard on a Thursday between 6:00am - 6:15am PST on a cloudless day to provide written notice of cancellation, you will be enrolled in our weekly program to receive 50 lesser charms each week at a rate of $69.95/month. Please allow 280 days of processing the cancellation request from the time of said visit.
--
Absölution -- 6/6 MSV, 4/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 3/12 ToT
Pride and Ego -- 6/6 MSV 1/6H, 6/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 2/12 ToT
CTR Azuregos -- 12/12 ToT

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium
join:2001-08-29
way way out
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

said by navymaverick:

LotRO (Turbine) is both F2P and Sub.

Having both F2P and Sub "premium" is a viable option. However, having subscription and subscription "extra" is not. I guess that's what I mean by an MMO not being able to be both F2P and subscription.

F2P will eventually be the lifeblood of wow...in my opinion. Who knows when it will happen but I expect wow to eventually go the way of diablo and they are not going to pay to support a dead-ish game the way they did diablo. they want some revenue coming in. then you can always upgrade for 20 dollars a month to WOW2
--
NO U