how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

USMCLXV

@rr.com

Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout

downloadTXT.rtf.zip 3,292 bytes
My TWC modem drops out, fairly frequently. See attachment. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration on this matter.

TWC_Help

@insightbb.com
Not sure if it matters in this situation but your upstream power level (57) is way too high. Should be at 50 or below. Do you have many splitters to get to the modem or a long run of cable?

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
reply to USMCLXV
Yup, that upstream power is bad. Time to call it in.

/M

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
My upstream is currently at 55dBmV. TWC NHD has stated it will NOT be fixed until it goes ABOVE 58dBmV. You can no longer reach LOCAL Tier one unless you lie when you call and claim you have a TV or (if you haveTWC phone) phone problem. If you say you have an Internet problem calls are immediately routed to NHD in the Philippines. They have no idea about any of this. Of course, a 57dBmV upstream is too high but you will have to either lie when you call, post in the TWC Direct forum here or go by your local office and report this directly.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
No need to lie, "my TWC modem drops out, fairly frequently" is all he needs to say.

How often was yours dropping out when you called?

/M

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
You are not allowed by the automated system to say that. You have to say things like "I have a problem with my TWC phone". "My internet is not working". I have a bad picture on my TV". "I am moving". You are given a list of phrases to choose from. If you use your own words, you are told to choose from the list. Plus, if you say "modem disconnects" you will be walked through testing it by an automated voice. You cannot refuse to test it before you reach a human being even if you tested it right before you called. NOTHING you say will get you to local tier one except lying and claiming the problem is your TV or your TWC phone. I would be ok with this setup if TWC had a DECENT National Help Desk either in Canada or the USA with good, clear connections and CSR's with little or no accent. As it is, this system makes it very clear, very quickly, that internet customers are considered bottom of the heap as far as TWC is concerned. TWC values TV and phone customers a lot more.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

crazyboi

join:2013-07-05
Columbus, OH
Keep in mind you should be willing to at least disconnect and reconnect the coax line from the back of the modem and the wall outlet first to see if there is an improvement. Coax cables do work themselves loose over time due to the rules of hot and cold concerning expansion and contraction, and you can potentially save yourself time and stress by simply doing a little preventive troubleshooting yourself.

TX is nothing more than the amount electricity used by the modem to transmit back to the CMTS, the higher the TX the more electricity is being used, and anything 51-54 is considered compensating for resistance, and 55+ is compensating for high resistance.

Unfortunately above 55+ you're also generating significant heat as well as the difficulty in connecting with the CMTS, so your reboots can be for that as much as the modem timing out attempting to maintain a connection to the CMTS.

Concerning outsourced turn it off / turn it on again technical support, put yourself in the shoes of the provider for a moment, as reprehensible as that may seem. You have millions of people across the country calling in with problems that can usually be solved in 5 minutes or less by power cycling modem > router > pc (as applicable), or because people have no interest in knowing how to log into their wifi to recover/change their wifi password.

I work in an escalated level of residential, customer facing technical support for one of the major cable companies, and Wednesday I spent 40 minutes on the phone with someone who it took multiple attempts for them to put their phone number without dashes/spaces/parentheses into a Wii for the wifi password. He ended up on my line because the outsourced help couldn't access his wifi information, and that's what I spent 40 minutes of my time doing instead of fixing modem/phone provisioning, or identifying signal level issues such as TX/RX/SNR out of spec. I live and work in a major city in the U.S. as an actual employee, not outsourced or contracted.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
said by crazyboi:

Unfortunately above 55+ you're also generating significant heat as well as the difficulty in connecting with the CMTS, so your reboots can be for that as much as the modem timing out attempting to maintain a connection to the CMTS.

Wow above +55dBmV generates significant heat? How much?

Some quick calculations puts 60dBmV at 0.01333 watts... so you think around 1/10 of a watt generates significant heat? Just for reference 0 dBmV uses 0.00000001333 watts.

The LEDs on the modem generate more heat and use more electricity than the transmitter output...
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to crazyboi
"Keep in mind you should be willing to at least disconnect and reconnect the coax line from the back of the modem and the wall outlet first to see if there is an improvement. Coax cables do work themselves loose over time due to the rules of hot and cold concerning expansion and contraction, and you can potentially save yourself time and stress by simply doing a little preventive troubleshooting yourself."

Do you have customers do this when they call you? How often does it work?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

Wow above +55dBmV generates significant heat? How much?

Some quick calculations puts 60dBmV at 0.01333 watts... so you think around 1/10 of a watt generates significant heat? Just for reference 0 dBmV uses 0.00000001333 watts.

The LEDs on the modem generate more heat and use more electricity than the transmitter output...

It is 1/100 of a watt not one tenth, to be precise 13mW.

UKEE_Anon

@insightbb.com
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Keep in mind you should be willing to at least disconnect and reconnect the coax line from the back of the modem and the wall outlet first to see if there is an improvement. Coax cables do work themselves loose over time due to the rules of hot and cold concerning expansion and contraction, and you can potentially save yourself time and stress by simply doing a little preventive troubleshooting yourself."

Do you have customers do this when they call you? How often does it work?

Hob

I have had customer service people tell me that I have to be at home to do some basic troubleshooting for them (while on the phone). I have left work, went home only to have them tell me to take off my coax cable and reconnect it to make sure it is tight.

I was completely floored at this...