All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
unbuckled
join:2013-07-03

unbuckled

[Internet] Inconsitancy with tech support in Kissimmee CFL

Since shortly after getting internet at the apartment, my internet speeds have been consistently slow. Frequent moments of 9Mbps DL commonly between 15 and 20 Mbps. I was paying for 30/2.

My roommates and I decided to upgrade to lightning 60/10. We thought we were just individually using too much bandwidth. Guy came out and did something with the modem (SBG6580). During this visit I saw that the speed tests he was running were still at the 9 Mbps. I walked away and soon he was asking me to sign the paperwork and left. (I know I should have confirmed it first, but english was not his first language and I don't think we were communicating with each other properly)

After he left I noticed that my router was no longer giving internet access. I had asked him to make sure it was working and the modem set up as a bridge and apparently he just didn't bother. So I disconnected and called the local number he gave me. The woman on the other end said she would send out a supervisor but the whole conversation felt very dismissive.

Next I called the 800 number. Move through tech support there and was much more satisfied with the interaction. Eventually I was connected with tier 3. The young man on the other end was very professional and he saw that the speeds were consistently at 9 Mbps and agreed that was not where it should be. He scheduled a person to come out tomorrow and replace the modem.

Within an hour I had a guy call me and ask me about the service call. He reset my modem and asked me to test it. I was now getting 28 Mbps, but I figured if I'm paying for the lightning my speeds should at least be closer than less than half. I almost had to argue with the guy about getting the modem replaced. He told me to check in the evening and see if they were better.

I still have the service call scheduled and I refused to cancel it. Now I just wait and see if I get better in person service than I've been getting. I've never had this kind of issue with BH. I've always been happy with the service. This single interaction is not changing my opinion yet. I just really want my internet to work as it's supposed to.

Has anyone else noticed these inconsistencies?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Please open a direct forums thread here »/fo ··· sedirect include your modem MAC and I will get to the bottom of this immediately.
unbuckled

unbuckled

Thank you for such a prompt reply. Like I said I still prefer BH over everything else. I used it at my parents for a while without any major issues so this situation is a little frustrating.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to unbuckled

Premium Member

to unbuckled
Std by... on it now....I'll have more questions for you in direct.
BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to unbuckled
Click for full size
Okay with unbuckled's permission I am posting his wired speed test results. Everything is as it should be. In his case the issue is with wireless in part due to the router he has and in part because despite advances wireless just sucks for some things. I will continue working with him on his wireles stuff....

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

I must be lucky then , my wireless speeds are identical to the wired
30/2 on both.
unbuckled

unbuckled

I think my wireless has just hit it's time to be retired. They don't always have a long shelf life and this one is a couple of years old. I'm already looking into a new one.

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

said by unbuckled:

I think my wireless has just hit it's time to be retired. They don't always have a long shelf life and this one is a couple of years old. I'm already looking into a new one.

I know what you mean, I had a dlink for about 5 years.
I switched to a asus n66r because I felt that the dlink couldnt
handle the upgrade to 30/2. besides , the asus looks snazzy
unbuckled

unbuckled

This one was pretty good at it's peak. But now I'm living with a few people who also use the internet as much as I do. Time to upgrade to something that can handle it. I'm looking into an ASUS now.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to unbuckled
We're going to do big thing on wireless here very soon that I hope will clear a lot of this up. Still in prep but soon
unbuckled

unbuckled

Sweet. You are quickly becoming my hero.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to unbuckled

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to unbuckled

Premium Member

to unbuckled
Quick suggestion, run »www.metageek.net/product ··· nssider/
to see if you are channel colliding with a neighbor. You would be surprised what shows up...
unbuckled

unbuckled

I'm currently on channel 3. Most of my neighbors are higher or lower but there is a little bit of overlap. I have WiFi Analyzer on my phone, but it's nice to have a program I can use on the PC. It doesn't help that I live in an apartment, but it does help that I'm on the 3rd floor.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to unbuckled
That and you don't hear your neighbors dancing on the floor above you Although moving in had to suck.
unbuckled

unbuckled

Moving sucked a lot. I still have a couple of boxes in my car because I just don't want to bring them up stairs. Been moving it in small increments.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by unbuckled:

Moving sucked a lot. I still have a couple of boxes in my car because I just don't want to bring them up stairs. Been moving it in small increments.

I bet...
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

I have a lot of luck on 3 and 8 in apartments with a bunch of networks. People always use 1, 6 and 11.. 3 and 8 put you right between their networks, still overlap but generally were able to pull the speeds were supposed to (or atleast close)

That asus is awesome, I recomend it as well
unbuckled

unbuckled

It's definitely going to be my next purchase. The Netgear I have was fantastic when it was only myself using it (and occasionally my mom's kindle) but now I live in a house of people who like using the internet for more than email and books.
unbuckled

unbuckled to tim tim tim

to tim tim tim
I broke down and got the ASUS. Can I just say the speeds are fantastic. I still haven't played with all of the settings yet, just did what I had to so we could use the devices with minimal changes. Easiest set up ever. Also these are my WiFi speeds:

I'm thrilled.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to unbuckled