uniqs
share rss forum feed

dragonzealot

join:2011-07-28
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

[Cable] SB6121 firmware at 1.0.5.1

I just got a Motorola SB6121 to prepare to upgrade to 25/2 plan. Although the modem is brand new from Staples, its firmware is only 1.0.5.1.

I submitted the request on myWorld they did not ask me about firmware level I have.

I seems that we can not update firmware ourselves and Rogers stopped pushing down firmware updates.

Will 1.0.5.1 firmware work with Teksavvy. If not what are my options.

I found a firmware update service in Ottawa but I am in Toronto.

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

That's why most people recommend buying modems from the ISP...and tbh, if you bought the SB6121 at Staples it probably wasn't any cheaper than from the ISP.

But as for firmeware updates, 1.0.5.1 has been known to have issues, but you may as well try it first and only upgrade if the issues arise.

Your nearest source for firmware updates would be Teddy Boom in downtown Toronto.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to dragonzealot

Got a link for the modem, nothing on their website.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to dragonzealot

There is a possibility of the order flowing through, but if a ticket ever is required, Rogers should identify the firmware, ticket will get rejected. It would be best to look at getting the firmware updated.

As mentioned above, Teddy Boom See Profile is a good place to start in getting additional information about firmware upgrades. IIRC, I believe he may have stopped upgrading firmwares on Motorola modems.

Teddy Boom would be in a better situation to confirm such a thing.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Adam

join:2013-04-17
Stouffville
reply to dragonzealot

I'm using an SB6121 with firmware version 1.0.5.0. When I purchased the modem a year and a half ago from a cable supplier in the U.S. I'm POSITIVE it had firmware version 1.0.5.1 on it and can only assume Rogers must have pushed 1.0.5.0 to it. This would have happened around a time that coincided with an upgrade to the local node/CMTS to support upstream channel bonding.

I haven't personally had any issues that could be related to the modem or its outdated firmware. I also didn't have any issues opening a support ticket to have Rogers repair the coax burial in front of my house when construction workers severed it last summer. My service hasn't gone down once (that I know of) since then and considering my fiancé works from home I'm sure we'd notice. The only performance issues I've experienced since using this modem was after Ajax migrated to ATPIA and that affected everyone on ATPIA at that time. Other than that my service has been rock solid.

The only thing that may be a little odd are my signal levels. I'm at 0 dBmV on my downstream but only seeing 31 dBmV on my return. I don't think this is a problem with my modem though and is most likely a signal level issue with the local node. It doesn't appear to be causing me any issues.

dickhu

join:2011-02-17
reply to dragonzealot

I bought one a few days ago from US and also the firmware was 1.0.5.1. Plan to replace my old 2.0 modem. Have not submitted requested yet.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

As mentioned above, Teddy Boom See Profile is a good place to start in getting additional information about firmware upgrades. IIRC, I believe he may have stopped upgrading firmwares on Motorola modems.

No problem for me upgrading SB6121 (or any other Docsis 3 modem). I'm doing lots of modems all the time.

In Ottawa, mlord stopped. Pir8pete has taken up the slack and does Motorolas in Ottawa. It is a bit harder to detect and reliably read/write the chip on the Motorola modems. Pir8pete and I have the commercially available USBJTAGNT, so understandably a lot more development has gone into perfecting that device than mlord's custom kit.

Then there is zinc, who is doing upgrades in Kitchener/Waterloo (I think, somewhere west anyway).
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to dragonzealot

said by dragonzealot:

Will 1.0.5.1 firmware work with Teksavvy. If not what are my options.

It will often work fine. There is no need to upgrade first, you can certainly hold off and only have the firmware changed if problems arise.

(edit: At the same time, official is official, you know...)
--
electronicsguru.ca

Pir8pete

join:2003-09-05
Ottawa, ON
reply to dragonzealot

if you ever need it done and are in the Ottawa area just send me a txt, my number is in the usedottawa / kijiji ads

dragonzealot

join:2011-07-28
Toronto, ON
reply to dragonzealot

Thanks folks above.

Hope this will work out ok. Glad to know there are options to update firmware in case if it didn't work.