I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob

Re: [FireFox] 23.0 Beta 2 is out

Why - among others - I never use Major Greeks !
Borrowing from your Link - newbie users are often goaded and do click where they should not click
hXXtp://www.uniblue.com/cm/majorgeeks/driverscanner/statictxtlink/download/ is a Potentially Unwanted App

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 edit

Racerbob

Premium Member

Click for full size
When you click on Download@Authors Site you get to the next page and the download from the author's site begins. Period. If there is something amiss there then I have never, ever had it happen to me. And I download a fair amount of software from there. Trust me, I am VERY careful on the net. Learned my lesson a long tiome ago and I regularly work on infected computers for friends and family.

I have never had an issue at Major Geeks. Ever. Their download link for Firefox is as clean as a whistle. They do not ever redirect me to any place else. Ever. This is where I first saw that Beta 3 was available and the file that is downloaded from their link is the very same, exact file that is downloaded from the official Mozilla site that chachazz posted. Nothing added. No spyware, no nothing added. On all of their downloads they have a link directly to the software's host site. I daily check Major Geek's, Beta News, Download Crew, FileHippo, and Neowin.net. End of rant.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

The obfuscated link that I pointed to obviously points to malvertising - which, in turn can brick your PC - that is what I was trying to point out.

When Major Geeks had an updates board on their Forum, posts for Hosts file updates would be killed as the site is heavily ad-supported.

These have been my observations of freeware sites over the years.

This is not say MG is not a good place to find software nor was I judging your abilities to avoid these.

Just sayin' -

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Well I was just at their forum just now and I see that it is full of areas that help computer users. I really have never visited their forum before, but I will visit it occasionally now because I am always looking for good sources of information. They have a whole section devoted to Malware Removal. I see nothing in this current forum that is remotely related to anything that is sourced there to infect someone's computer, but thanks for the heads up just the same.

»forums.majorgeeks.com/