TRU to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone

Re: Some Pics Of My New 780

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Company of Heroes 2
Click for full size
I can make this glowing text pulse or adjust to load or temps.
@Ghastleyone - Fantastic card, man! Can't wait to see how it overclocks! A 1100mhz boost clock right out of the box is already damn impressive as is! I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your new "toy" as much as I am mine. I wonder who else on the forums, besides you and I, also took the leap on a GTX 780(or 2). I think you made the right choice waiting for a more robust PSU to arrive. Its just not a risk not worth taking with such high end hardware. I would have done the same thing, as painful as it would've been having to sit there looking at a brand new GTX 780 that you can't quite safely use just yet.

As for PSUs-- I've had a Corsair AX750(750w, 80 Plus Gold-- »www.corsair.com/professi ··· ply.html) in my PC. This has been my latest build(NZXT Phantom (White), almost 2 years ago this Nov) that I've just continued to upgrade piecemeal shifting out different components within that time. As far as PSU's go, I'll likely continue to stick with Corsair. They make fabulous products including PSU's that are just top notch. I think you made a very good choice opting for the Corsair PSU as well. Over the years I've really loved many of Corsair's products. I have nothing but great things to say about my experience with Corsair products.

I also have plans to eventually purchase another 780 down the road for SLI. These 780's are just plain amazing hardware. So I'll gladly invest in another 780. I'm aware my AX750 probably won't suffice for such a setup when that time comes. So I, too, will likely have to make a PSU change sometime down the road. But for the time being I'm comfortable on my Corsair AX750.

Up to this point, I've had mixed feelings in regards to the new Geforce Experience application. I installed it just to see what it was all about. Personally, I feel the application is a great program for PC users that fall under the beginner or novice category. The program is genuinely dead simple to use. It basically allows you to optimize your games with the click of a single button. Who doesn't appreciate something like that that? Even I can appreciate the simplicity. It also makes other "chores" easy to manage as well. Chores such as driver updates. With the Geforce Experience, the application now notifies you the moment a new driver is released. This allows users to stay up to the date with the latest drivers for their video cards.

Like I said, for beginners or novice users, I can see the huge potential this program offers. You can't beat the utter simplicity the program offers. For advanced users, the application is already obsolete. I have the knowledge to optimize my own games. I like the ability to go into the settings for ALL of my applications(including games) and making precise alterations on my own. I think I could make manual optimizations that could quite possibly TOP what the Geforce Experience has suggested to me. And as for driver updates, sometimes it doesn't pay to be right on top of the latest driver releases. I've had experiences where it ended up being better sitting on a driver release only to find out that the driver was just plain dreadful only then to be replaced with a "real" driver release.

Also, sometimes the "suggestions" offered by the Geforce Experience application are just plain wrong. I've had a few instances where I noticed the program selling my PC short on some of the settings. It offered an optimization that just wasn't correct. Basically,it was a miscalculation. It's suggestion would've pegged my PC at about an Intel i3 w/a 650Ti.

Honestly, the ONLY thing about the Geforce Experience application that I'm interested in at this point is ShadowPlay. ShadowPlay basically leverages the NVEnc encoder built into Kepler-based GPUs ato automatically record the last 20 minutes of game play. Or, you can manually control when ShadowPlay starts and stops. This could potentially replace software-based solutions like Fraps(which I use regularly), which exact a more demanding load on your host processor. The ability to free up resources and relieve some of the load Fraps demands is promising. Although Fraps, for me, doesn't really suck down too much juice.

I have plenty more to say about all of this stuff but I've, once again, gone into TLDR territory. I don't know why the fuck I always do this...

Here are just a few pics of MY new EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked as well as my new 27" 2560x1440 Asus monitor. These are just a couple new additions to my family. I have a few other pics but those will come tomorrow! Personally, I really like the glowing "Geforce GTX" text on the side of mine. With the help of a 3rd party application, I can do a number of different lighting manipulations to it. I used my Samsung Galaxy S4 to record the "pulse" setting I used. I can also have the lighting adjust to GPU load or temps. Chances are good your 780 w/ACX cooling will overclock much better than mine. It seems to generally be a better overclocker than 780's with the Titan coolers. But all n all, I'm happy with my 780 Superclocked with the Titan cooler. There's no doubt about it that the Titan cooler really makes this GPU stand out as a premium piece of hardware. And the glowing "Geforce GTX" on the side of this bad boy really looks pimp as hell too.

@Ghastleyone - Take advantage of the 780's software bundle! Download 3DMark Advanced and run some benchmarks on the Fire Strike test.

PS I actually have a THIRD 24" 1080p monitor that's not even hooked up yet. I'm still trying to decide on whether to sell it or use it.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

That machine looks very cool, sounds like the upgrade was worth the wait.

I'd also like to say that your wiring job is very slick. I'm totally envious.

Great machine!
EQ

Thanks dude. I did the best I could on the wiring

I probably spent 3 hours ripping that old PSU out and redoing everything from scratch.
said by TRU:

@Ghastleyone - Fantastic card, man! Can't wait to see how it overclocks! A 1100mhz boost clock right out of the box is already damn impressive as is! I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your new "toy" as much as I am mine. I wonder who else on the forums, besides you and I, also took the leap on a GTX 780(or 2). I think you made the right choice waiting for a more robust PSU to arrive. Its just not a risk not worth taking with such high end hardware. I would have done the same thing, as painful as it would've been having to sit there looking at a brand new GTX 780 that you can't quite safely use just yet.

I'll post some overclocks soon. Sitting at 1,100mhz core and the card is nearly silent, is damn impressive in my book. Even when my wife comments about it being so quiet, and she doesn't even game. You know it's quiet.
said by TRU:

As for PSUs-- I've had a Corsair AX750(750w, 80 Plus Gold-- »www.corsair.com/professi ··· ply.html) in my PC. This has been my latest build(NZXT Phantom (White), almost 2 years ago this Nov) that I've just continued to upgrade piecemeal shifting out different components within that time. As far as PSU's go, I'll likely continue to stick with Corsair. They make fabulous products including PSU's that are just top notch. I think you made a very good choice opting for the Corsair PSU as well. Over the years I've really loved many of Corsair's products. I have nothing but great things to say about my experience with Corsair products.

Same here. I've always liked Corsair PSUs. The only thing that really grinds my gears with this new power supply, is the Corsair Link not working properly. I would have really loved to see how much power my full PC was pulling down under load. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and figure out what the deal is.a
said by TRU:

Up to this point, I've had mixed feelings in regards to the new Geforce Experience application. I installed it just to see what it was all about. Personally, I feel the application is a great program for PC users that fall under the beginner or novice category. The program is genuinely dead simple to use. It basically allows you to optimize your games with the click of a single button. Who doesn't appreciate something like that that? Even I can appreciate the simplicity. It also makes other "chores" easy to manage as well. Chores such as driver updates. With the Geforce Experience, the application now notifies you the moment a new driver is released. This allows users to stay up to the date with the latest drivers for their video cards.

Like I said, for beginners or novice users, I can see the huge potential this program offers. You can't beat the utter simplicity the program offers. For advanced users, the application is already obsolete. I have the knowledge to optimize my own games. I like the ability to go into the settings for ALL of my applications(including games) and making precise alterations on my own. I think I could make manual optimizations that could quite possibly TOP what the Geforce Experience has suggested to me. And as for driver updates, sometimes it doesn't pay to be right on top of the latest driver releases. I've had experiences where it ended up being better sitting on a driver release only to find out that the driver was just plain dreadful only then to be replaced with a "real" driver release.

Also, sometimes the "suggestions" offered by the Geforce Experience application are just plain wrong. I've had a few instances where I noticed the program selling my PC short on some of the settings. It offered an optimization that just wasn't correct. Basically,it was a miscalculation. It's suggestion would've pegged my PC at about an Intel i3 w/a 650Ti.

I used Geforce Experience with my 560ti before I got the 780 installed. I can say that the "recommended" settings with it were dead on. Arkham City, Borderlands 2, BF3, just to name a few.

I can't speak for running a 780 just yet, but we'll see. I'll still always check the settings afterwards anyway and tweak what I think I need to.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
said by TRU:

Take advantage of the 780's software bundle! Download 3DMark Advanced and run some benchmarks on the Fire Strike test.

I'm going to tomorrow. I tried uploading my invoice on EVGA's website. Something is screwed up though. It just will not upload. I'll contact them if I can't get it working. I think I still have some time to claim those.

by way, nice looking rig. I love that white. I know Kris has a white colored Thor which looks awesome. I think that's going to be my next case down the road.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

1 edit

TRU to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
I can't comment on the Corsair link software. I have the older Corsair model power supply that came before the Corsair link software integration. My power supply is just a straight up modular PSU without all those new "bells and whistles". I hope you can get that all figured out because from what I know of Corsair Link it has real potential to be really quite useful, if you can get it straightened out and working. So good luck with that, bro!

As for the Geforce Experience, I used it lightly with my 560Ti for a brief period of time back some months ago. And it was helpful. Now, I checked it out again when I installed it with my 780 driver installation and gave it a quick run for a few games I had installed. But I haven't touched it since. I guess I still like having manual control over my settings. That's what I went back to doing almost immediately. I guess I just like to do things manually... I'm old school like that!

As for the bundle, yeah I noticed the whole process of redeeming the software is really too complicated. I got it figured out but I can't help but feel it could've just been a much easier process.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

By the way, I thought this was pretty funny (and frightening at the same time)

If you want to completely max your 3gb of VRAM, then just play Hitman Absolution on ultra settings. I was sitting anywhere from 2-2.5gb on nearly every area. I got to one stage, and it maxed out at 3gb. That was with FXAA on and MSAA x2.

That game is crazy demanding at this resolution.

But fuckin' a does it look awesome

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are my MSI 560Ti's being put out to pasture. These guys were champs! I'll miss you two!

I'll be listing these up for sale within the next couple days. These cards still have plenty of horsepower to dole out.
TRU

2 edits

TRU to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

by way, nice looking rig. I love that white. I know Kris has a white colored Thor which looks awesome. I think that's going to be my next case down the road.

Thanks brother!

Yeah the white looks slick most definitely. As soon as I caught a glimpse of the NZXT Phantom I had to order it! And really, I have no regrets buying it. Its awesone. Unfortunately, I cant say the same thing about other NZXT products or their customer service, in my experience. What I do know for sure is that NZXT makes terrible case fans.

Ive gone through a number of NZXT fans and sadly most, if not all, of their fans that Ive owned have all experienced issues in one fashion or another. Over the course of say 6 months of normal use theyve all started to make noises. These noises are quite loud, annoying, and disruptive if youre trying to get work done.

These noises can be described as grinding or whining. Sometimes the sounds will cease after a period of time while other times it gets louder. Ive literally had to resort to banging on the side of my case to shut them up. Ive RMA'ed a few only to have replacements eventually undergo the same fate.

And whats INFINITELY worse? They're customer service is pitiful!! The only way Ive been able to get anything resolved was due to the fact I purchased their products through Amazon. So I was able to deal with Amazon directly and their own return policies.

Needless to say, I'll likely never buy NZXT products ever again. Or at the very least for the forseeable future.

'm quite positive that the next case I'll purchase for a new build will be a Corsair Obsidian series PC case. Ive heard amazing things about those Obsidians. My NZXT Phantom case is beautiful and I've been very happy with it for the most part. It is very solidly built. But their shitty customer service and a number of worthless products later... and I'm completely over ever buying NZXT again! There are just too many quality manufacturers out there. It's inexcusable to have to feel like this when other companies can handle their shit much better it seems.