share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

Hearing Test Can You Hear This?

Let see how good all your hearing really is. With the young folks these days using iPods and so forth there trashing there hearing with all that loud music and they don't know it.

»www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can···ng-test/

Using my Vizio Soundbar, TV speakers, headset, and headphones I could only hear up to 8KHz in each. I was using maximum volume on all 4.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
I'm 50 and I know my ears are trashed with all the stadium rock concerts I've been to
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Emptydarkone
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Springfield, IL
kudos:1
reply to floydb1982
I'm 47 and I couldn't hear anything above the 18KHz. Not bad I suppose.
--
Whether you like it or not, I'm your necessary evil.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to floydb1982
All those rock concerts were probably better for your ears, than everyone running around cranking audio through ear buds. Lets see the youngsters take this test in 20-30 years.
--
Google is your Friend

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to floydb1982
At 44 I can hear up to 17 KHz which is about what I have been able to hear most of my life I guess. I know that I can hear some of those ultrasonic devices meant scare dogs away if they are loud enough. However it has been a few years since I last remember hearing one of those so I my upper limit might have actually been higher in years past.

These online tests cannot be used reliably. Too many variables. It depends on what kind of speaker you use, their dynamic range and even the sound system on your computer. I once tried one online test that played a tone with increasing pitch with earphones and was dismayed to find that my left ear appeared to lose sensitivity around 5.5 KHz. Then I switched sides and the fade moved to my right ear. Then I tried with a different pair of earphones and it didn't happen.

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL
reply to floydb1982
In my 60`s using Sennheiser "Noise Guard" (I use on airplane) headphones. I can clearly hear 8KHz and 21KHz tones....However I hear NOTHING in between!

When using just desktop speakers I hear NOTHING except the soft clicks when opening and closing the file.
What does this mean?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to floydb1982
18kHz, same result with desktop speakers and headphones.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

3 edits
reply to floydb1982
I will have to try this at home, but online tests like this bring up the question: Is it my ears or my speakers?

It also reminds me of a story I read about CES. Back in the 80's there was a booth that offered free hearing tests. Real hearing tests where you sat in a little noise free booth and wore headphones.

So many "golden ear audiophiles" found out their ears contained more tin than gold that CES did not invite the booth back ever again.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to floydb1982
Here's some typical ranges of human hearing:
»hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/Chr···se.shtml

Make sure you turn off any playback enhancers and have any equalizers set to flat playback before taking the tests.
--
Obama is our Morsi.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to floydb1982

These tests ARE NOT RELIABLE because your equiptment CANNOT REPRODUCE THE SOUND!!!!!!

Your not hearing the ACTUAL SOUND @18Khz Emptydarkone,your probably hearing a side effect of a tone that high trying to be produced by your speaker! (Which it cant be)

My stuff wont produce anything higher than 10.8 or so,so this is pointless..

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
A good method for checking if your equipment can reproduce these frequencies is with an oscilloscope connected to the speaker or headphone output. Or even better, connected to a good microphone held near the speaker or against the headphone you're testing.

You're right that some setups won't be able to reproduce those high frequencies. I have a soundbar that will produce aliasing artifacts on anything higher than about 12kHz. It's pretty obvious when I put a 22kHz tone into it and can still hear it, obviously I'm not hearing the 22kHz, but a lower frequency that is the result of aliasing of the DAC.

Some speakers/amplifiers/etc may also have a fairly restrictive low-pass filtering.

Especially with mainstream consumer gear, you never know what you're getting.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
Indeed........ Not a good way to test!!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to floydb1982

Re: Hearing Test Can You Hear This?

14 KHz. Damn. I'm in my 40s so I guess it's not the end of the world. But damn.

russotto

join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ
reply to floydb1982
16Khz on my iMac, and on headphones attached to it. And here I thought the reason I didn't hear that darned flyback transformer noise any more was that CRTs had gone away.