join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to neufuse

MVM

to neufuse

Re: More on the death of 3DTV

said by neufuse:

3D TV was a fad / gimmick no mater how much people wanted to say it wasn't

Yes, I could not see having to wear those glasses to watch TV.

Ultra-HDTV is the latest feature that the equipment manufacturers are pushing now.

The thing is, one application for Ultra-HDTV would be glasses-free 3DTV, as the major difficulty in the development of that has been the large number of pixels needed on a screen to accommodate different viewing angles.

From an article (»www.tvnewscheck.com/play ··· ars-end/) on the TVNewsCheck site:
quote:
In an interview with TVNewsCheck two weeks ago, ESPN CTO Chuck Pagano said the sports network was still actively involved in pushing the service, but added that he thought 3D would evolve as part of a 4K infrastructure.

“I think 3D will evolve when you start seeing some of the TV sets that will be out there that do not have the eyeglass in front of them, but truly have a lenticular lens in front of the set that you can watch stuff without glasses,” Pagano said.

In an email to TVNewsCheck, an ESPN spokesperson said the network continues to experiment with Ultra High Definition television production tools to produce programming for the current ESPN family of HD channels.

telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by neufuse:

3D TV was a fad / gimmick no mater how much people wanted to say it wasn't

Yes, I could not see having to wear those glasses to watch TV.

Also, 3D will probably continue to be supported in movie theaters, even with glasses, as it is a different situation from a home environment:

Business Model Questions Linger As Broadcasters Shutter 3D Offerings in Favor of Multi-Screen Services
By Joe Zaller, Devoncroft.com - July 5, 2013
»blog.devoncroft.com/2013 ··· ervices/
quote:
Broadband TV News quotes the BBC’s Shillinglaw saying “Watching 3D is quite a hassly experience in the home. You have got to find your glasses before switching on the TV. I think when people watch TV they concentrate in a different way. When people go to the cinema they go and are used to doing one thing – I think that’s one of the reasons that take up of 3DTV has been disappointing.”

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo

3D TV-sales growth

SEOUL, March 18 (Yonhap) -- Worldwide sales of 3D TVs jumped 72 percent last year despite an industry-wide slump in the global TV market, data showed Monday.

3D TV shipments totaled 41.45 million units last year, compared with 24.14 million units in 2011, according to the data by DisplaySearch. The figure marks a nearly 18-fold growth from 2.26 million units in 2010, when the market researcher began compiling the data.

On the back of sales growth, the proportion of 3D TVs in the flat-panel TV market almost doubled to 19 percent from 11 percent.

»www.globalpost.com/dispa ··· s-growth

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by PaulGo:

3D TV-sales growth

SEOUL, March 18 (Yonhap) -- Worldwide sales of 3D TVs jumped 72 percent last year despite an industry-wide slump in the global TV market, data showed Monday.
:

»www.globalpost.com/dispa ··· s-growth

As many TVs are "3D-capable" these days, and that feature has crept down to lower price points, this is not surprising. However, 3D-capable TV sales does not equal 3DTV demand/usage.

Newer set sales will soon see 4K Ultra-HD capability replacing 3D capability, though the higher-priced sets may still retain the 3D feature for a while.

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo

Since their is a price premium for 3D TVs more consumers are willing to pay the additional price for 3D. Also 4K TV will be better suited for 3D since they can offer a 3D passive (2K) technology at almost no additional cost. The Sony 4K TVs are already doing this. I feel the 2K passive technology will offer a consumer acceptable solution until glasses free 3D TV becomes available.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by PaulGo:

Also 4K TV will be better suited for 3D since they can offer a 3D passive (2K) technology at almost no additional cost. The Sony 4K TVs are already doing this. I feel the 2K passive technology will offer a consumer acceptable solution until glasses free 3D TV becomes available.

Yes, I agree, as I have already stated above.