spc
uniqs

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone

Re: Some Pics Of My New 780

I removed my two MSI 7950's and installed one Galaxy 780. I LOVE THIS CARD! It is soooo smooth, and I have yet to hear the fans spool up. I haven't had an NVIDIA card since my X800 PRO back in the AGP days, and it looks like it'll be a looooong time before an AMD card sees use in my main rig.

However, now I'm stuck using a Corsair AX1200i power supply. It was the next step up from my 850 that the local store stocked... I bought it when I planned on tri-firing the 7950's...

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I'm not sure a single 780 is much of an upgrade over two 7950s...

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

1 edit

Blockgorilla

I'm an idiot, please disregard

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

My gaming experience begs to differ. Is it as powerful? No. Is it smoother and more quiet? Absolutely.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Were you using Radeon Pro to fix the CF microstutter? Someone on gamingpc clued me into it and my microstutter has completely disappeared on my 7970s.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Were you using Radeon Pro to fix the CF microstutter? Someone on gamingpc clued me into it and my microstutter has completely disappeared on my 7970s.

I was reading the other day Kris, about a trick with SLI/Crossfire and clocking one card just slightly higher (or lower) then the other. Which is supposed to help cure microstutter. I'm not sure how true that is.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

1 edit

TRU to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I agree. I don't know if the 780 was necessarily your best upgrade path at this very time. With dual 7950's you were able to basically skip a generation of GPU's. You probably didn't gain much(nothing worth noting or paying for, I'd imagine) with that particular transition of going CrossFire 7950's to a 780. I would've waited for later-stage 700 series or even 800 series cards next year.

@weaseled386 - Did you sell your 7950's after getting the 780? I suppose if you sold them and got a decent price for them($250-300 each) then put that money towards the cost of the 780... then that might not be so bad in the end. With a 780, you're actually sitting better with the more powerful, more future proof 780 upgrade path. X-Fired 7950's are basically the end of the line. Being able to add additional 780's down the road.

Basically, I'm assuming quite a bit here. I wonder what you actually did so maybe you can enlighten me, weaseled386.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

»[FS] MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3GB