Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

[TWC] Question about modem lease.. SW Ohio

Thinking of dropping my solid DSL to get the TW Standard internet only.

Looks like that the modem lease price is $4.99 - might be that price with the online special for standard service.

Question is - how often do the modems need to be replaced? I know my ILs lost their modem though not sure how soon after they got it. Certainly replacing it when on lease is attractive but I have a tendency to not want to lease things like this. I don't even lease my DSL modems.

I will not be getting TWs wireless router - I already have one...

Thanks,
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
$4.99 is the modem lease price, yes.

Asking how long a modem lasts is like asking how long is a piece of string. It varies. The modem in my house has been fine for 3 years.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Yea v- I know it can vary, though if lot of folks came in and said their modem failed in the first year I would definitely go to the paranoid side...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
In general, modems just don't fail. Between myself, my friends, and my clients, the only failed modems I've seen were due to lightning + bad grounding. Your modem will most likely become obsolete long before it fails. That isn't to say there can't be a bad batch or a defective modem, but they're the exception not the rule. If you're still worried about it, pick up an extended warranty through Square Trade for $15 and be done with it

/M

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Is there a modem that is considered to be better than the others?

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
Not really. Personally I'm a fan of Motorola, but I know a bunch of people around here like Zoom. Just get anything on TWC's "approved" list and you'll be good.

Edit to add: a DOCSIS 3 modem that can do 8 channel bonding, such as the Moto SB6141 or Zoom 5341J, is the only recommendation.

/M

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
The 6141 has good reviews on NewEgg when I checked and on sale.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to CylonRed
Pay the lease fee unless you are smart enough to have a good UPS that you will attach it to. They die all the time....UNLESS protected by a UPS. Be careful with one also. I shorted out a Motorola Surfboard years ago when I called for help and was asked the MAC number on the modem. I had to turn it upside down to see it and it shorted out when I did that. Luckily, that one belonged to TWC.

I'm reluctant to buy my own because Oceanic TWC has told me only fools do that and I think they are right. You'll be treated differently...in an inferior manner if you own your own. If you don't mind the extra headaches then buy one. Depending on if the lease fee remains $3.99 (it's $4.99 for you because you are a new customer) and if the price for the SB 6141 lowers at a REPUTABLE seller....not some of the shady dealers mentioned here and with free shipping (which for Hawaii residents greatly narrows the availability) I may buy one.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Well - if it lasts as long as my DSL modem - currently going on over 11 years and thru many power outages. Only thru a surge protector and not on the UPS... Looks like I can get the 6141 for less than $90 and free shipping via NewEgg (as of a couple days ago).
--
Brian

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to CylonRed
I don't think I have every had a modem actually fail. They have swapped them out before trying to find line issues. But its never been the modem itself as the problem.

Target sells them online for $74.99 s121 and $89.99 for s141 $134.99 for g6580. All monto units. Has a $7.99 2 year replacement plan for two lower priced modems so break even would be around 20 months for s141. What is you level of risk?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I don't like to pay for leases when I can buy - in general. I also never buy 'protection plans or extended warranties' - though my wife does and it drives me nuts.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
Install for the darkside is set for tomorrow morning and the modem should be here today.

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to CylonRed
My SB5101 is the one that TWC gave me when they took over Adelphia, all those years ago...still going strong When I started with Adelphia in 2000, never had a modem swapped out either...it worked perfectly.
I don't mind the lease fee either.
--
Lonnie

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I did buy the SB 6141 from NewEgg with a 2 year protection plan - slightly over $100 but free shipping.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
Is there going to be any reason to get into the modem setup or is it plug and play once the coax is connected?
--
Brian

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to dcurrey
I've had on business class Ambit fail. I had one that lasted 7 years and I made them swap it since it was only a 10 mbit half duplex LAN interface and they upgraded the package to 10 mbit down. But it was still working after all that time.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
Up and running - thanks for the help folks.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
How is a noise to signal ratio of 38-39 dB - good for standard package?

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to CylonRed
On the other side of this one I have had a TWC modem forever, I kept theirs when they started charging the lease fee here, I consider it a "wash" price wise(even though it may not be), they only time I have had a modem "fail" is due to obsolescence, I had a old com21 modem from Adelphia and they were being phased out.

The way I look at it, it storms and it gets fried I take a little drive and get a new one.

Maybe BUY a modem and put the lease amount into a jar in case your fries.

Now internal dial-up modems are another story all together, with those you always needed a spare on hand.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed
It’s perfect.

While there are a few factors that come in to play, and it will depend on your area, here’s the general levels that you want to see from your cable connection.

Downstream Power Level – -15 to +15 is within spec with being as close to 0 being desirable. TW has tightened up the range and now aims for -12 to +12.

Downstream Signal To Noise Radio – Anything above 33 or so is great. The higher the better, the highest I’ve ever seen posted here was 40-41. Under 30 indicates a lot of noise on the line and can result in many uncorrected blocks. On the digital TV side of things, when you go under 30 dB you’ll typically get a ton of pixilation and dropouts.

Upstream Power Level – 35 to 55 is the general range you’ll see posted, I like to stay in-between 40-50. 42-44 is what the techs in my area tend to shoot for.