join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

2 edits

1 recommendation

dishrich to pjh123

to pjh123

Re: [DTA] HD-DTA's are here in Springfield, IL - a review

said by pjh123 :

So I went down and picked up the hd-utda-p adaptor thinking I would get all of my channels back, including the local OTA HD channels that I had received for years as part of my package. In fact, that's what their customer service person said I needed to do when I called about my local HD channels being gone. Well, guess what, since I don't have an HD package of any sort, I no longer get those channels. Yes, the ones I had been receiving for years at no extra cost. It does give the SD equivalents but once you're used to HD, you really don't want to go back.

Did you call technical support & tell them this? Even limited basic subs ARE supposed to get all the (local) HD channels w/an HD-DTA, at NO extra charge. The CSR that gave you the new DTA probably did NOT update your account properly; they probably still have your account coded as an "analog headend" account - & they HAVE to switch it to a "digital headend" account for your HD-locals (thru the new DTA) to work properly. Unfortunately, this thing happens ALL the time w/CC on our system.

Limited basic subs do NOT have to pay the "HD tech fee"; matter of fact, if you look at one of the recent CC rates list, it will even tell you the "HD tech fee is NOT applicable to Limited basic subs" - THIS is why.

The other issue is that I have an HDD recorder that records clear QAM channels (not as HD, but still widescreen and very good quality - think DVD quality) since I don't have a DVR. Well, that device would no longer work either.

Sure it would; all you would have had to do is connect the RF output of the HD-DTA to your recorder & you would have been back in business. And, you would have had the choice between the SD feed (center cut) or HD (down-converted) feed, which would be widescreen, as I described in detail on my review.