uniqs
share rss forum feed

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Happydude32

Re: Facebook outage

Oh Crap. I didn't want to do it but I clicked on the South Park link. Now I can't leave until is over.

Funny sh*t.

Thanks

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
Anyone who thinks "Facebook changed [their] life" has one sorry ass empty life. I wonder how much more pointless their existence was before FB came on the scene.

It truly is amusing albeit a little creepy how people defend FB like it's a cult religion or something. I get the impression that but for Facebook they would have no social interaction at all.

When I joined FB, I began a little experiment: I have never sent even one single "friend request". The only way to get on my list is to ask. The only way to get off my list is to remove yourself. Within a month I had 60 "friends". Out of that sixty, about a dozen are people I have real relationships with and see in person fairly regularly. About 6-8 are old friends I haven't talked to in years. The majority of the rest are people I barely know, or friends of friends. A surprising number are complete strangers; I have no idea who they are or why they are interested in me. As part of my experiment, I approve all friend requests unless it is obvious spam.

Facebook does have legitimate uses. Unfortunately, almost nobody uses it for those purposes, unless posting a picture of the meat loaf you had for dinner so "friends" you haven't seen in decades know how much you love meatloaf is considered a "legitimate use".

At the other end of the scale, my buddy owns a small business and his FB presence is a big part of his marketing plan. He has received a lot of attention and new clients because of Facebook. If you run a small business, you are crazy if you're not on FB.

To each his own I guess. As I mentioned in a previous post, the more you are on FB the less interesting your daily reality is.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to workablob
Yep, its an excellent episode. One of my all time favorites, its up there with the Steamcell Research episode. Another episode that is great that is tech related is 'Over Logging' in Season 12. South Park is one of the best TV shows ever.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by battleop:

"Facebook is a godsend. I was able to reconnect with several old friends I thought I'd never see again"

If I've lost contact there is probably a reason behind it.

Like I said, I've been bounced from school to school. I went to three different elementary schools, two different middle schools, and two different high schools.

I was in special education and they moved the program I was in to different schools for reasons by the school district and not on my part. Spending an hour on a school bus each way is no fun at all.

There are situations like that were FB can be helpful. Heck, I would not have known about my 10yr high school reunion (about this time last year) had it not been for FB.
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Happydude32
The guys have a key to that part of my brain and anytime I watch anything they have done it's like they open my head and begin poking about with a stick. Kids in the Hall are another example as are the Python crew.

If I ever need a good chortle folks like that are my remedy.

Blob
--

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mocycler
People over use FB for sure.

I just hop on a few times a day and since I am somewhat choosey of who I let in I am constantly greeted with tons of useful and entertaining info.

I think most people go through a beginning phase on FB (Food Pix, Pokes, Game posts etc..) I know I did.

I take away the useful stuff and block the crap I could not care less about.

It changed my life in that it strengthened a few relationships that would otherwise have fizzled due to distance.

Since I hate talking on the phone I tend to forget people that I am not in contact with so it works for me.

I search my name on Google every now and then just to see what comes up.

If it weren't for my online software business I don't think it would come up until a few dozen pages later.

You make some very good points.

They just don't apply in my case in my opinion.

To each his own and may reason guide America!

Happy weekend.

Now, to drink some wine and relax with some gaming.

Not online!

Blob
--

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to workablob
Epic comprehension fail there....

My comment was bout the "Like I said," hence the quote.

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by battleop:

Epic comprehension fail there....

My comment was bout the "Like I said," hence the quote.

Sorry My Friend.

I'm human. Well, sort of

Have a good weekend please.

I am now having some wine whilst getting ready land a Beach in Oke City. Virtually of course.

Then the pool.

Blob
--

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV
reply to IowaCowboy
No problem here either.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to jadinolf
said by IowaCowboy:

Facebook seems to be down right now....

said by jadinolf:

said by Johkal:

Awesome; hope it continues !

+1 to that !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

said by Johkal:

Awesome; hope it continues!

+1.

Indeed, Farcebook is so '90's, and a security nightmare.

And ain't THAT the truth !

FaceBORK !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

"If you lend someone $20 and never see them again, be glad."

I once DELIBERATELY did that, and guess what ?

It WORKED, and was well worth my investment !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by Johkal:

Awesome; hope it continues!

You must be anti Facebook.

Facebook is a godsend.

I was able to reconnect with several old friends I thought I'd never see again....

Hey, I 'LOST' one of my sisters due to FaceBURP !

She's not REALLY gone, but I hardly hear from her anymore, ever since she got hooked on it, and my other sister, who does use FaceBARF a bit herself (I do not, in case anyone reading was unsure of this), agrees with me on that point, and says that the best way to make the aforementioned sibling surface is to (UGH) wait for it .... yes, that's right .... post an update.

On a related topic, we're planning an intervention later this year.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 recommendation

reply to mocycler
said by mocycler:

I'm kind of proud of the fact that one time someone messaged me on Facebook and then got all in a huff because I didn't see the message for over a month.

I'm like, "Uuuhhh, dude, get over yourself. I have a real life and real friends. If you need me that bad pick up the fucking phone and call."

BLOD ! (Best Laugh of Day - so far)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Since you asked for it…

Facebook is idiotic as a concept and in execution. There's nothing elitist or holier than thou about it, except for the people that use it and think that the world cares what they had for lunch or the fact they ‘Liked’ something. I was on Facebook for about 6-9 months back in the 2009-2010 time frame. I signed up reluctantly after refusing to do so for a long time after a friend of mine talked me into signing up as a way to share photos from events that we were going to. Before I knew it I had a whole clan of people after me for ‘Friend’ requests. That would be my high school graduating class. I didn’t give a shit about 99% of these people in high school, they didn’t give a shit about me, and I have no interest in keeping in contact with any of them. The bulk of the 60 or 70 ‘friends’ that I collected were basically people that I work with and a few acquaintances from other mutual in real life friends. I denied twice as many ‘friend’ requests as I accepted.

No, I do not care what any of these people had for dinner, no I don’t care about someone needing a bean sprout for their fake farm, no I don’t care what band you ‘Liked’, no I don’t care about your rant from a bad day at work, suck it up cupcake and deal with it, no I don’t want to see blurry pictures of drunken stupidness, no I don’t want to some shitty cell phone quality video of a concert that’s a shaky, grainy and distorted. It’s the elitist and holier than thou that feel they need to share every event, no matter how minute and minuscule in their insignificant lives with the rest of the planet. I could not deal with the constant bullshit being posted. There was way too little signal and way too much noise. And every day it seemed like I had another 2 or 3 ‘apps’ to block. I really don’t care that you made $10,000 pretend dollars in your pretend café, I will not join and I don’t want to see updates about it.

And a few other notes, Zukerberg is a creep. Half this country is all upset about the Government spying on suspected terrorists, when the government really doesn’t have to do anything, since people spill their lives on Facebook. And no, I don’t believe for a second that what your post on Facebook is secure, once it’s online, it’s public information, no matter how good you think your security settings are.

And you know what’s bullshit? Facebook’s removal policy. They make it a bitch to find the way to permanently delete your account and would rather have you deactivate it, then you have to do through some stupid questioner form and fill out a statement of why you want to leave, there’s a two week waiting period and at any point if you log in to your account during those two weeks, you have to go through the whole process again. After I submitted my removal request, I forgot to remove all of my information. Yes, I now it’s still stored on a server somewhere in California, but I wanted to remove everything anyhow. This was a couple days after I deactivated, so I had to go repeat the process again.

Facebook will never stand the test of time. In year years from now one will ever talk about Facebook and it will be a distant memory, it’s a fad.

As with most things they touch on Matt and Trey hit the nail on the head with the ‘You Have 0 Friends’ episode of South Park.
»www.southparkstudios.com/guide/e···-friends

Superb Rant - Seriously !

I wish that I had said that.

Everything negative which you stated about FB security and politics is true - and THEN some ! (IMNSHO, of course)

( And don't get me started, or the readers here may have Dueling RANTs on their hands ! )

BTW, I have no idea whether or not Zukerberg is a creep, but he is (if nothing else) a good Capitalist.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Since you asked for it…

Facebook is idiotic as a concept and in execution. There’s nothing elitist or holier than thou about it, except for the people that use it and think that the world cares what they had for lunch or the fact they ‘Liked’ something.

I keep waiting for Facebook to begin featuring a "strongly disapprove" button for things I do not like.

(Once they incorporate that, then and only then will I be willing to tell the world what I had for lunch.)
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

I keep waiting for Justin to bring back the thumbs down button. Man that was a great thing!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

It was. I guess too many people got all butt-hurt over it, though.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Juggernaut:

It was. I guess too many people got all butt-hurt over it, though.

[mock sympathy]
Awwwwwwwww
[/mock sympathy]

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Happydude32
Haha, that was a riot. Odd, I have NONE of the problems or experiences you mention, at all. I am friends with ZERO "high school friends". I am only friends with current friends and close relatives and some people in the Italian Greyhound world. I have it locked down, no one can see my profile or page unless I give permission. I don't even come up on a google search in FB. I also use FB Purity to control the crap, ads, suggestions, you might like nonsense. I see none of it. I don't post "what I had for dinner", and neither does anyone I know. Don't post about "bad day at work" or drunken stoopidness (why would you ASSume everyone has a drunken video to post?). I play ZERO games, nada, not a one. I also don't have to block any suggested "apps", never see them. You must have been friends with a lot of weird people. I NEVER post anything I don't want online, and most people I'm friends with don't either. I don't click on random links within other's posts unless I know for sure what it is (ie, a legitimate news site for example).

If you don't know how to use FB safely, that's fine, just don't assume no one else doesn't either.
--
The Alien in the White House

21,078 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
A big plus one! Much the same here.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Happydude32
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna
The only way to use Facebook safely is to not use it, period.

Facebook is a diseased cesspool of garbage. It’s for the narcissists and the sheeps of society who feel they have to partake in what others do. You should be laughing at people like yourself who participate in such nonsense, you guys are the ones that humor me.

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Happydude32:

The only way to use Facebook safely is to not use it, period.

Facebook is a diseased cesspool of garbage. It’s for the narcissists and the sheeps of society who feel they have to partake in what others do. You should be laughing at people like yourself who participate in such nonsense, you guys are the ones that humor me.

I would say it is possible to use Facebook 'Safely' but not safe.

For example, it is impossible to drive safe as there will always be a threat. But, one can drive in a safe manor IE Safely.

Blob
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
said by workablob:

said by Happydude32:

The only way to use Facebook [completely] safely is to NOT use it, period.

Facebook is a diseased cesspool of garbage....

I would say it is possible to use Facebook 'Safely' but not safe.

For example, it is impossible to drive safe as there will always be a threat. But, one can drive in a safe manor IE Safely.

It's a bit like 'defensive' driving, where ya gotta watch out for the OTHER guy.

As for privacy, when I post here on DSLR, at least I KNOW that it is public, as I can see so for myself, without reading any ToS.

With FaceBROKE, you never know for sure, like the man who wears 2 watches and the correct time.

But besides their 'moving target' security config menues, FB's policy that THEY OWN any and all content which a person uploads (even if someone else already has the rights to it) is sheer nonsense, and a deal-breaker for ME.

= = = = = = =

Recently, many of us have also become grumpy at Yahoo's new ToS, which was smokescreened somewhat by a change in the look of their WebMail user interface, both simultaneously rammed down our collective throats.

»Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

»Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

They want to scan all of our eMails & IMs, and send us ads based upon whatever we discuss.

After 15 or so years, I will be leaving them.

Big corporations are taking too many liberties - mainly OURS !

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

I have it locked down, no one can see my profile or page unless I give permission.

Granted, no one on the outside can read it. I'm not aware of anything in Facebook's TOS, however, that precludes a bored/disgruntled/depraved FB employee from reading any of your stuff.

(Just trying to point out that potential prying eyes can probe you from the inside as well as the outside with FB, that's all.)
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Facebook is a diseased cesspool of garbage.

DSLR, on the other hand, is a wretched hive of scum and villany (and therefore far superior).

[Beams with {possibly quite badly misplaced} pride]
--

Happydude32
Premium
said by Mr Neutron:

said by Happydude32:

Facebook is a diseased cesspool of garbage.

DSLR, on the other hand, is a wretched hive of scum and villany (and therefore far superior).

[Beams with {possibly quite badly misplaced} pride]

Actually DSLR is more like the end result if a circus freak show could mate with a train wreck. Some of the posts on here are so unintentionally funny its unreal.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0 – American Public 1
“the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”
Repeal Obamacare Now!

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
said by Happydude32:

Actually DSLR is more like the end result if a circus freak show could mate with a train wreck.

I'll settle for the circus freak show, thank you, though I doubt whether Justin has ever seen himself as a 21st century Todd Browning.

(I'd like to be Phroso, please.)
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to Davesnothere

Y'know, I got to thinking....

FaceBORED cannot REALLY be down.

If it WAS, my sister would call.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

If twitter, and facebook when down there would be so many people who couldn't communicate with their fake friends.

For some yes... but personally I have a couple of dozen actual FB friends and a few casual acquaintance..
--