spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zxcasd6
join:2006-08-16

1 edit

zxcasd6

How can I change my ip address?

It used to be so easy a long time ago. I called Shaw and they said you can't change an ip address in a residential area. Is there really no way to change an ip address?
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

if your using a router in bridge mode, log into the GUI and find where you setup the internet connection, if you change your mac address(you just need to change 1 letter or number, anything will work), and then reboot your router, then reboot the modem, you will get a new ip. if you have an all in 1 shaw modem/router combo, this might be a bit trickier

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to zxcasd6

Premium Member

to zxcasd6
Yeah, as Connor said,

The IP you are given is based on the MAC address requesting the IP.

If you are using Shaw's WiFi modem as your WiFi router, short story, you can't get a differnet IP.

All other home-routers have the ability for MAC Clone, usually in the Internet or WAN settings (some providers tie your internet access to your MAC address, so router have to be able to 'clone' your PC's MAC to get online)

If you want further instructions, what do you have connected to your Shaw modem? If router, which brand/model, if directly to your computer, which operating system.

If you are using the Shaw modem as your WiFi router (Cisco or SMC brand) it can't be done with your setup.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to zxcasd6

Premium Member

to zxcasd6
Sadly, IP's are pretty much static these days, even from a Dynamic provider like Shaw. Why? I have a feeling it's about the NSA/CSIS info gathering more than anything else. You're just easier to track that way.

My IP has been the same for 3 years now. However, I don't really care as I don't do illegal downloads.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

personally i think the way shaw does it is very good. Apart from the fact u cant change ip without having device bridged, and the fact if u call them and ask them to change it they will tell you there is no way. The way i see it, having an ip that stays the same is an advantage not a disadvantage. Complaining youve had the same ip for 3 years ( assuming you know how to change it and havnt needed to) makes no sense to me, even if its dynamic like it is. Having the same ip for 3 years is a good thing not a bad thing if u ask me, especially considering u can change it the second u need to.

ips are not "pretty much static these days" lol, i get where ur coming from but thats a massive understatement

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I think you're reading too much into my post. I wasn't complaining about my IP at all, I was making an observation.

Secondly, your 'massive understatement' remark disregards the point that unless you force a new IP, what you get is what you have for a long time.
zxcasd6

1 edit

zxcasd6 to kevinds

to kevinds
-

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
Looks more to be an implention of the DHCP server, it gives out the same IP, unless it has a reason to give a different one... (network changes, device offline for too long)

Well before the domestic spying really became big, the old teryon modems I know people who had the same IP for 4+ years

The A and PTR records Shaw creates makes it really easy to have a 'static IP' without having one.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I've had my modem off-line for 4 months while working up north (cut unnecessary power to devices), and still had the same IP when I got back.

Don't care, really. But, it makes me wonder.
zxcasd6

zxcasd6 to kevinds

to kevinds
Thanks for the replies. I do have the Shaw modem/router combo(SMC). Is there any way around this?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yes, have Shaw bridge your SMC modem/router, and use your own router. That will give you a different IP right off the start
kevinds

kevinds to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
That I haven't seen before, usually after 2 days, you get a different IP...

Or you just fluked out and it assigned you the same IP again

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Not much of a fluke. I'm away quite awhile each year, every year.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Humm... I konw if I unplug my IP phone for 2-3 days, it gets a different IP

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Odd. Maybe it's because I'm in Kelowna? Smaller city?

I honestly don't know.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

what your saying makes like 0 sense to me the max amount you should have to wait after powering off your modem should be 8-24 hours, could be sooner and though not saying its impossible u do have the same ip, i am doubtful.

it does depend on the isp though, with telus u can just turn your modem/router combo off and wait 30 seconds turn it back on and you'll have a new ip

18286719 (banned) to zxcasd6

to zxcasd6
you basically gotta buy a router and call shaw and ask them to "bridge" your modem, this will allow you to only use it wired directly to your router and your router will be your point of internet access so you dont wanna get a cheap shity router, people seem to be liking asus routers lately though i havnt tried them

NSALeaker
@start.ca

NSALeaker to Juggernaut

Anon

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Sadly, IP's are pretty much static these days, even from a Dynamic provider like Shaw. Why? I have a feeling it's about the NSA/CSIS info gathering more than anything else. You're just easier to track that way.

My IP has been the same for 3 years now. However, I don't really care as I don't do illegal downloads.

That's not what the records show.
Expand your moderator at work