Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

2 recommendations

Juggernaut to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: Oil question

Damn, now you're arguing black and white. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. The upper and lower VI's are DIFFERENT. That makes them DIFFERENT.

Flour and corn starch thicken, but they're NOT the same.

Get it now?

For a guy that claims to know a lot about oil, you seem to know jack-crap. Maybe you just spout what you read about Amsoil.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

2 edits

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Calm down. I don't claim to be an expert on anything. And you are correct in saying that an 0W-30 is different from a 5W-30 from a 10W-30. In reality, a 5W-30 is really a 5 weight oil with molecule chains that will curl, thickening up the oil as it rises in temperature. So the "5 weight oil" (in a 5W-30) will have the flow properties of a "30 weight" oil when the engine is at full operating temperature.

I know a lot of guys who run 0W-XX because they believe the thinner oil is better at cold start, allowing the oil to lubricate the engine quicker in colder climates or winter conditions.

But at the higher end of a multi-weight oil, An 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, and straight 30 weight should all have the same flow properties at full engine operating temperatures. And that's what Anonymous_ was getting at. In reality, the first number is most important during cold starts depending on the ambient climate and lubrication needs of an engine. As long as the operating temp oil "weight" remains what the manufacturer recommends, the engine should run as designed at full operating temperature.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Bull.Shit.

You have no idea what Anonymous was getting at, as you are not them. As for your statement above, you really do know nothing about oil. Only 'theories', and opinion. 'They believe' is not fact. While 0-XW may flow easier, it's not designed for the engine. Period.

Please spare me the reply/ retort/ rebuttal. Your comments have no credibility with me.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

You have no idea what Anonymous was getting at, as you are not them. As for your statement above, you really do know nothing about oil. Only 'theories', and opinion. 'They believe' is not fact.

Please spare me the reply/ retort/ rebuttal. Your comments have no credibility with me.

That's fine. Check out this forum post that is pretty informative. I think it explains the concept pretty well: »ltr450.theatvchannel.com ··· 567.html

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

1 recommendation

Anonymous_ to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Damn, now you're arguing black and white. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. The upper and lower VI's are DIFFERENT. That makes them DIFFERENT.

Flour and corn starch thicken, but they're NOT the same.

Get it now?

For a guy that claims to know a lot about oil, you seem to know jack-crap. Maybe you just spout what you read about Amsoil.

Just like DEXRON III and DEXRON VI are not compatible

Even though GM claims DEXRON VI IS fully compatible with DEXRON III Transmissions

This is not true as the Transmission shop used DEXRON VI and all it would do is leak out. Rate of 1/2 to 3/4 quart per week.

I have drained the DEXRON VI and Reinstalled the DEXRON III and I have not had any leaks since
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

As for your statement above, you really do know nothing about oil. Only 'theories', and opinion. 'They believe' is not fact. While 0-XW may flow easier, it's not designed for the engine. Period.

Just out of curiosity and to confirm my position, I searched a bit to see the thoughts behind those who go with a 0W-XX vs a 5W-XX, and it's pretty much what I thought... some motorists like the 0W for colder weather starting (and some like it in the summer too, the thinking being it reduces startup wear in all seasons).

Check a few out:
»www.bobistheoilguy.com/f ··· =2527712

»www.bobistheoilguy.com/f ··· =2725444

»www.bobistheoilguy.com/f ··· =2459480

»www.bobistheoilguy.com/f ··· =2393519

»www.mytractorforum.com/s ··· count=12

The links could go on and on... Seems like quite a few folks like the 0W-XX oils (and I'm sure others don't ) To each their own! But it seems to be a pretty common switch, and in all reality, the difference in a 5W-XX down to a 0W-XX is relatively minor.