All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dude9O5
join:2013-07-06

Dude9O5

Who would you use starting today ?

Hi .... I'm curious to know if you were to sign up with an cable ISP who would you go with or are with ? I'm in the GTA west so pls keep that in mind , thanks

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

I wouldn't go with cable at all.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
Cable over DSL for SURE, and my preference would be Start
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
GTA I would go VDSL TSI, and if VDSL wasn't available then I'd look at cable. Speed variability in dense populations & price are big draw backs to cable in my opinion. If you were in a smaller market like London or Kingston where DSL is limited then cable is definitely the right option.

TSI cause I've never had any company go to bat for me the way they have.
Dude9O5

Dude9O5

Guys, there no phone line service here so its only cable , who would you go with ? So far one has said Start , any else ? Thx
DSA
join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

DSA to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
I am with start and don't regret a second of it. I highly recommend them.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Dude9O5

Premium Member

to Dude9O5
said by Dude9O5:

one has said Start

+1 for Start.

Mike
Dude9O5

Dude9O5

Does Start have a tech forum site or a help forum site ? It's nice to see or tell them when service is down . I like a forum site by when the service is down in my area people usually say so , this would tell me it's not just my end with problems but the area . Is there such a forum ? If not and by any chance "Start" people might read this thread , you should consider one .

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

There are these forums: »Start.ca

TekSavvy/TSI also offers cable service in the GTA as well and is the provider I am with for cable (in London though).

They have a forum as well: »TekSavvy and a Direct Support forum to open support tickets.

You can't go wrong in going with either or.

There are also Acanac, Distributel, EBOX, CIKTel and VMedia (currently reselling CIKTel's cable services) that offer cable in the GTA.

They are all ultimately delivered to homes via Rogers' coax, keep that in mind.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
Another +1 for Start.
Dude9O5

Dude9O5 to TypeS

to TypeS
I kinda meant if Start has their own forum site . thx

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by Dude9O5:

The CEO and a CSR named Laurie respond to posts in that DSLr forum, so for all intents and purposes, it is their "official" forum (yeah yeah I'm using officially pretty loose there).

Honestly, the forums here on DSLr are probably better than anything the ISPs could run on their on sites. The community here is very knowledgeable.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
said by Dude9O5:

The owner (Rocca) posts quite frequently on the Start forum here on DSLReports, so I don't know what else you could want

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Dude9O5

Premium Member

to Dude9O5
Happy to answer any questions here that you have.
Dude9O5

Dude9O5 to silvercat

to silvercat
I never knew that, this is the main reason why I was asking . I'm just trying to get the most data for this company and how If I was to ever have problems with services where to go for help beside the phone tech support . BTW I have NOTHING against this site at all . Again, just trying to gather data . Thanks for this info
Dude9O5

Dude9O5 to rocca

to rocca
How does one pay for services ? I'm thinking in getting the Advanced Cable Internet package . At the moment I'm with Rogers and my cycle ends on the 11th of each month . So If I were to sign up with Start what the best way to go about it . I will buy the Technicolor DCM476 modem and now I have a new Asus RT-N66U router . Thanks
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
+1 for TSI. Start's cap is way too low.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

said by 34764170:

+1 for TSI. Start's cap is way too low.

I'd stay away from Teksavvy and VMedia.. My friend isn't having fun with VMedia at all. He signed up for them based on my recommendation.. I feel bad >.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by geokilla:

I'd stay away from Teksavvy and VMedia.. My friend isn't having fun with VMedia at all. He signed up for them based on my recommendation.. I feel bad >.

No one is perfect, but TSI is the least suck of any of the IISPs.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
Another vote for Start!

And before you decide on a plan, with anybody, you might want to take a look at this message thread in the Start forum...
»Upcoming package changes - sneak preview

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Dude9O5

Premium Member

to Dude9O5
said by Dude9O5:

How does one pay for services ? I'm thinking in getting the Advanced Cable Internet package . At the moment I'm with Rogers and my cycle ends on the 11th of each month . So If I were to sign up with Start what the best way to go about it .

The best way would be a transfer so you don't have to pay an installation fee, to do this you'd want to order with us at least 10 business days from your end of term with Rogers. You can do so online using credit card or with some of the major banks debit card. For regular monthly payments thereafter it'd be either credit card or automatic bank withdrawl on the 1st of each month (prorated your first month to line you up with that billing cycle). If you have any questions or need anything else just let us know. Thanks.
Dude9O5

Dude9O5

Okay then , correct me if I'm wrong . This July 11 I call Rogers and give them my 30 days notice at which time come Aug 1 I call or order service and the modem from Start , And then on Aug 11 I should be good to go with Start , Yes ?

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by geokilla:

No one is perfect, but TSI is the least suck of any of the IISPs.

You know, I always under the impression you were with an incumbent for internet service for some reason haha.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TypeS:

You know, I always under the impression you were with an incumbent for internet service for some reason haha.

I would if they would offer services for a reasonable price, without caps (and no gimmicks to have unlimited), they treated the customer reasonably well and were not always dicking around. But that will never happen. That's not in their nature. I liked Magma a lot more than I have ever liked TSI, but Primus ruined that.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by 34764170:

said by TypeS:

I would if they would offer services for a reasonable price, without caps (and no gimmicks to have unlimited), they treated the customer reasonably well and were not always dicking around. But that will never happen. That's not in their nature. I liked Magma a lot more than I have ever liked TSI, but Primus ruined that.

Yeah, I had been aware of TSI, Start and Odynet (was a Primus customer once too) for a long time before I left Rogers but I never really was given an incentive to leave until the overage cap went from $25 to $50. I don't mind the base rates on their services, they're high but not like some other products out there. But the overage charges are going too far in the name of profiteering for me. Had they introduced unlimted $10 and $30 3 years ago though when I left, might have stayed with Rogers.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Dude9O5

Premium Member

to Dude9O5
said by Dude9O5:

Okay then , correct me if I'm wrong . This July 11 I call Rogers and give them my 30 days notice at which time come Aug 1 I call or order service and the modem from Start , And then on Aug 11 I should be good to go with Start , Yes ?

I probably wouldn't wait until the absolute last day myself, but yes that would work.

I'd probably suggest something more like 'Call Rogers now to get your cancellation date 30 days out, then call us right afterwards and have us put in the transfer for a day or two before your Rogers cancellation takes affect'.

That way you pay for maybe 1-2 days overlap to ensure everything is good before cutting over. But your way will work too, just remember to count any holidays when doing the 10 business day for the transfer, would hate to see you miss it by a day and not be eligible for the free transfer.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned) to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Yeah, I had been aware of TSI, Start and Odynet (was a Primus customer once too) for a long time before I left Rogers but I never really was given an incentive to leave until the overage cap went from $25 to $50. I don't mind the base rates on their services, they're high but not like some other products out there. But the overage charges are going too far in the name of profiteering for me. Had they introduced unlimted $10 and $30 3 years ago though when I left, might have stayed with Rogers.

I could never go with the incumbent carriers. Their caps make the connections literally unusable for me. I average 250 - 300GB a month and that's me not trying at all. On a month I do actually download a fair amount I had no problem hitting 1TB. When I moved over from TSI 5Mb DSL to TSI cable (I think it was the old 24Mb tier, can't remember as I've gone up and switched tiers down and then been upgraded to faster speeds again ) I had utilized 1TB+ for 6 months out of the year.

I started out with Internex Online AKA io.org in '95. On dial up. They were the first commercial ISP in Toronto. Then in '96 upgraded to 128k ISDN and picked up a (IPv4) /24. So wish I had picked up more address space back then when it was so easy. I have never been a fan of the incumbent carriers and have always worked with independent ISPs whether it is personal or business. I moved to 5Mb DSL around '99 with an ISP by the name of DSL.ca, which later merged wth WizNet and they later merged with a company from Ottawa by the name of Magma Communications. Whom Primus bought out and ran mainly as a separate network entity with their own AS / transit / peering but merged Margma's awesome support which was better than Start or TSI into their craptastic call center garbage. I stayed with them for quite awhile as their network worked well 99% of the time and I didn't have to deal with support (thank god - it was truly awful). I had known about Teksavvy since around 2000 but only switched to them in 2010.
Dude9O5

Dude9O5 to rocca

to rocca
Oh okay , I would like to do it your way to be honest . I just thought I had to do it my way . So your saying do it ASAP ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

If you're ready then we are too. Once you have your disconnection date with Rogers just give us a call or signup online and put in a start date request a day or two before your disconnection with them and we'll take it from there. Thanks and welcome aboard.

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

I started out with Internex Online AKA io.org in '95.

Ah yes, IO.org. I signed up with them in Nov. of '94. I still have all my paperwork with them on file. Can't believe what I was paying them back then - for max of 2 hrs per day of dial-up.

Another possible coincidence - I was living in Etobicoke back then. Were you? (I see you are now.)