spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hawkesrw
join:2013-05-23
Libby, MT

hawkesrw

Now this is Weird!!

Well I thought I'd try a Speedtest this morning on Speedtest.net it's telling me I'm in Cranbrook, British Columbia instead of my hometown in Montana. Cranbrook has to be over 100 miles away? I am no guru when it comes to this stuff just thought it was strange?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Geolocation based on an IP address is not a science, it relies on data provided by the ISP. This data can be (temporarily) goofy when you're ISP is busy making various network changes.

As I said before, you can manually pick any speedtest.net server you like.
aaron1312
join:2012-10-10
Phoenix, AZ

aaron1312

I had a customer come in today and mention the exact same issue when working with others via chat support. It's not something that can easily be escalated.
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2 to hawkesrw

to hawkesrw
As far as I know, the location that is selected automatically is based on ping and not distance. That leaves this issue to be simply cosmetic when it comes to the speedtest.
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

Try this to see where you are

»www.iplocation.net/
hawkesrw
join:2013-05-23
Libby, MT

hawkesrw

Thanks everyone,

I may have been confusing I meant to say the the speedtest put my physical house Libby, MT and was showing it in Cranbrook, British Columbia. I thought it use GPS? I could still test to any server.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

No, it does not use GPS (global positioning system via satellites). It used geo-location based on your IP address.

netman
@msn.net

netman

Anon

actually, geolocation data is based off of DNS and IP block data.

The host DNS server will give out different resolution data to querying DNS servers based off of ipblock data as well as guess your location based off the registered location of the DNS server you are querying as well as the location of the block your ip is in. this is never an exact science as this relies on your ISP properly registering every subblock they use as well as properly registering the location of the block the DNS server is located. this gets even more complicated by users that change their master DNS server to say the google (8.8.8.8) dns servers or set up their own in home DNS server that isn't registered.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by netman :

this is never an exact science

Yup, I pointed this out previously.

this gets even more complicated by users that change their master DNS server to say the google (8.8.8.8) dns servers.

I've been using Google DNS for years and haven't had issues with geolocation as long as the ISP is going the right thing.

Which all leads back to my original statement:

[Geolocation] "is not a science, it relies on data provided by the ISP."