All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dude9O5
join:2013-07-06

1 edit

Dude9O5

Recommend a Router with Technicolor DCM476 modem ?

Hi ... Can you recommend a good wireless router that works well with Start Technicolor DCM476 Modem ? And it has all the best security features , range around $100 plus tax .. Oh yeah, cable is the ONLY option ... Thx

FiberToTheX
Premium Member
join:2013-03-14

FiberToTheX

Premium Member

said by Dude9O5:

Hi ... Can you recommend a good wireless router that works well with Start Technicolor DCM476 Modem ? And it has all the best security features , range around $100 plus tax .. Oh yeah, cable is the ONLY option ... Thx

For that price point the Asus RT-N16 is a great router. I'm currently using the RT-AC66U but unfortunately it is out of that price bracket.

You can also take a look at the SNB Wireless router charts for help determining which one is best for you at that price range/point.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

wdr3600 or wdr4300 depending on how important wifi is.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
If you want the best range, you could get an Asus RT-N66U, but they are around $150 right now. If you're lucky, you could get one around $130 (or cheaper), when they are on sale somewhere, and you can price match.

Asus RT-N56U are around $100.

FiberToTheX: I tried the RT-N16 for the purpose of streaming HD video within the house (from a media server), and it performed poorly. I wouldn't recommend the RT-N16 for streaming HD video. Not sure how it would work with Netflix in SuperHD (i'm assuming it might be fine), but definately there may be some problems with a high bit-rate video (1080p) from a media server within the house.
Dude9O5

Dude9O5

Can you tell me what makes this Asus RT-N66U router that good ? Is it the range for wifi only ? How the security features and what about tech support for the unit ? Like firmwares if needed . Thx

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

WAN to LAN performance and wireless range is amazing. Using it to send this message from my backyard right now.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
I'm using the Toastman TomatoUSB firmware on it (mainly for the QOS features), but to take advantage of 150 mbit speeds, you need to use either stock or Merlin firmware (I recommend the Merlin firmware, with which I also believe you can configure a VPN server).

FiberToTheX
Premium Member
join:2013-03-14

FiberToTheX to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
said by silvercat:

If you want the best range, you could get an Asus RT-N66U, but they are around $150 right now. If you're lucky, you could get one around $130 (or cheaper), when they are on sale somewhere, and you can price match.

Asus RT-N56U are around $100.

FiberToTheX: I tried the RT-N16 for the purpose of streaming HD video within the house (from a media server), and it performed poorly. I wouldn't recommend the RT-N16 for streaming HD video. Not sure how it would work with Netflix in SuperHD (i'm assuming it might be fine), but definately there may be some problems with a high bit-rate video (1080p) from a media server within the house.

The cheapest RT-N66U is $149.93 at Staples. That's a big difference from the $130 even with price matching. The average is $149-159 for the RT-N66U.

The N65U/N56U are also other good suggestions. The N16 is a N300 whereas the N65/56U are N750 routers which provide more wireless throughput and link rate.
Dude9O5

1 edit

Dude9O5

Yep , That's what I ended getting Asus RT- N66U at Staples
Dude9O5

Dude9O5 to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
Delete this , thx
chrisl83
join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

chrisl83 to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
Don't delete it... I actually book marked the router from this thread. I have a dlink gamer router that I love a lot, but the wireless isn't so hot. When I upgrade I'll get the asus router.
Dude9O5

Dude9O5

I meant to delete just that post not everything else
komi
join:2011-07-08
North York, ON

komi to Dude9O5

to Dude9O5
If you can live with stock FW, Asus RT-N56U is the way to go.
Wireless range is perfect for a single unit home and the backyard.
Even my neighbors get a 3 line signal out of 5.