uniqs
share rss forum feed

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Letter about a Special discount of $44

I saw a post awhile back about this but can't find it now.

Anyways i have the old two year price guaranty for triple play.
that is running out now. I was going to take the DVR back and change it for a regular box to save 20 bucks and change to the new plan of more channels and faster internet speeds that i never got by staying on the old plan. My bill would go up by about 5 or 10 dollars.

But now i got this letter about saving $44 off the normal price. It is not clear if i will get switched to the new pricing plan with more channels and faster internet speed, or be left on the old pricing plan with the old 15M HSI and the old channel package with a list price of about $270 a month. If left on the old pricing even a $44 discount will be more then the new pricing with less channels and speed.

Anyone that got this letter also, please report what happen when your bill showed up.

Thanks for any help.

dsl14350

join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
reply to mmainprize
I believe when you start a new promotional package you are no longer grandfathered into the old plan. At that point you are under a new agreement and subject to the pricing and options listed under the new plan. Others may be able to chime in with more information.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit
reply to dsl14350
I think that was it, hope someone will reply with what the new bill looked like.

I am going to the local office, to find out what is up as i am not going to say on an old plan for more then the regular cost of the new plan/prices.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Haven't received that letter here, but do let us know what you find out at the local office.

The mail, or Charter, is usually slower than it is for some of you others here, as far as getting promotional or announcement letters.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to mmainprize
We got a letter only giving us $16 off and it was for our current package which is old pricing. Not sure if we switched if we'd get the $16 discount. Even if not the new pricing would only be $2 more and we'd get the channels currently on the old digital plus tier which include NFL Network would would cost us $10 more per month under old pricing. So we'll probably switch next month regardless if the $16 carried over or not. Now with a $44 discount we'd stay on old pricing for sure.

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to mmainprize
I got the letter for $43 off. It is not as good as the promo price but its not the full price either. I was going to eliminate some services but the letter indicated that if I changed anything I would loose the discount. My promo pricing was about $145 for TV, HSI, and phone. We now pay around $175 with the discount. I would like to loose the phone to save the $39 but if I did I loose the $43 discount. I would end up paying about the same for less. I would have to cut more that just the phone to make up for it. I guess I will just have to wait till this discount expires and make a decision then...

jp16

united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to mmainprize
UPDATE: I just got off chat with Charter. I inquired about the new Disney Jr the Channel, which they just started to carry in my area. I have a 5 and 2 year old that love Disney... In order for me to get the new channel I would need to change to the new pricing. I got 153 + tax for 12 mo to include, HBO Cinimax Showtime and the Disney channel that I wanted, Phone and 30meg HSI. Not that I would watch any of the premium channels... This is less than what I was paying even with the $43 discount. So I will be paying about the same as I was before my last package expired. However, I do have to go get a new modem. Anyone want a year old 6121 cheap? I just hope I keep my IP address, I just started to remember it.....

InTheKnow

@charter.com
Charter residential IP addresses are dynamic with a 4hr lease time so it is usless to memorize because it will change.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

1 edit
My IP address has been the SAME for 2 years, it never changes, no matter how much I reset the modem or power it off, and I have a residential account. The only time it changed is when I went from a UBEE modem to a CISCO. Also, the lease time is 24 hours, I just checked it in ipconfig. but just renews the same ip address.

said by InTheKnow :

Charter residential IP addresses are dynamic with a 4hr lease time so it is usless to memorize because it will change.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
One time, several years ago, I had the same IP address from Charter for about 4 years! I couldn't force it to change, no matter what I did, and I tried often. Every time I saw a thread about how to change it here, I would try, but never succeeded.

It finally just changed out of the blue one day though.
Haven't seen one of those topics here in a while, now that I think of it.

I have had my current IP for a few months now, but I think it has changed 3 times this year!

So, even though they're dynamic and you may have them for a long time, they DO/CAN change!!

Still haven't received this letter here.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to mmainprize
Ok, As was pointed by a few above, The Discount would be to stay on the old Package and pricing. So i add up my current bill without the current discounts and my total was about 250 a month list price, and i had 70 dollars of discounts so i paid 182 a month. I had one DVR and one HD box HSI 15M and Phone.

So $44 off of 250 is like 206 a month.

The local office could give me the new package/pricing for what i have now for 181 a month so i swapped out my DVR for a HD box and got Gold. 30M HSI, and Phone for 162 a month. Standard price not contract or discount.

Now
The new HD box was a moto DCX3200-M New Plastic style with out USB on the front.
It seems to have a better Picture Then my DVR 3416 and the Moto 3200-M Metel style with USB on the front.

But i can't seem to get it setup the same so all channels fill the 16:9 screen. The non HD channels like 500-506 will not fill the screen (black bars on top and bottom) but will stretch to the side set to Strch.
The best picture is when the box output switches modes from 1080 to 480 (long pause to see the next channel) when new mode needed.
At one point the # button (aspect) would change the Picture size on the non HD channels but i can not get it to work again, i just see is display the word but the picture don't change size.
Still trying to find the correct setting for my 2011 D series Samsung LED TV for this new box.

sittin_tech

join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN
kudos:1
Power down just the box and leave the TV on. Hit the menu button and that should bring up the HD setup menu. Select what format you want for HD and set the standard def option to streach. Hope that helps.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by sittin_tech:

Power down just the box and leave the TV on. Hit the menu button and that should bring up the HD setup menu. Select what format you want for HD and set the standard def option to streach. Hope that helps.

I have been doing that, the old style boxes i was able to fine a good set of settings.

But this box will not stretch in both directions.
If i put it in Native mode then if the Channel is not 1080 the picture is in the middle of the 16:9 screen with black bars all around.
The 4:3 Override is grayed out and can not be set.
Same when i set it to 1080i, i can set the 4:3 Override but only makes the picture wider with black bars on top and bottom. If i set the override to 480i or p it will force the TV to switch modes from 1080 to 480 and the TV takes a few seconds to switch. So slow channel surfing.

seems the aspect button only works if the HMDI cable is connection to a normal HDMI iuput on the TV, if connected to a HDMI-DVI input it don't work. So at least in can adjust it with the Charter remote to Zoom but it will not stay that way you have to do it each time you call up a channel that is not filling the screen, PITA or have the TV switch to 480 mode and have black bars at top and bottom.

InTheKnow

@charter.com
reply to compuguybna
compuguybna, The fact that your ip hasn't changed just means that 1 your modem is on a blade that has more ip addresses than modems that are assigned to it. Or due to activity on your network the ip is never released. This doesnt change the fact that Charter residential ips are dynamic not static and will change if necessary based on the needs of the service group.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
Ok, i was just commenting that it has never changed. I realize these are dynamic ip's on a residential plan. my sister's cisco modem is the same way on the opposite end of town.
However, her ip address is in a different set of #'s, but her's never changes either. We can always access our security cameras by the same ip address.

said by InTheKnow :

compuguybna, The fact that your ip hasn't changed just means that 1 your modem is on a blade that has more ip addresses than modems that are assigned to it. Or due to activity on your network the ip is never released. This doesnt change the fact that Charter residential ips are dynamic not static and will change if necessary based on the needs of the service group.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to mmainprize
Seem the boxes are the same and it was operator error or misunderstanding on my part.

I figured it out, i had to other TV's cable box set to 720p and that is why the picture on the other channels was filling the screen from top to bottom. With the aspect button working i guess i will set it to 1080i and get the higher quality picture

jp16

united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to InTheKnow
said by InTheKnow :

I do understand that it can change and if it did i do know why. However, my IP has not changed in well over a year. Even with several reboots of the modem.

Anyways, after going to the office, the lady there kind looked at me funny and said to not bother changing it out, that it was fine to keep my own modem...