share rss forum feed

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Echo the Dead Post

Was going to post to an OP in the Canchat forum to visit this forum if they wanted to post about the plane crash (our forum gets sometimes inundated with unrelated stuff). Lo and behold not a single post about the plane crash as San Fran Intl. Wake up people.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Awake but been posting in an adult not-to-named-forum.
Pilot error is a possibility, weather was clear with a 7 MPH wind.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to Anav
2 dead, 180 injured, all accounted for.

Other than 2 runways the airport has partially reopened.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to Anav
The tail, wheels, ailerons (spelling) were off and scattered. Midsection of the plane was charred. Some passengers were missing shoes, passports, luggage, etc. Five are still in critical condition. There are a lot medical information missing for many reasons including shock. They talked about broken bones, back injury, brain injury, due to the 'hard' landing, etc.. There were 10 children on board. All have been accounted for.

The community has come together. There are enough translators and medical personal. From here on out it is an orderly process to help passengers get what they need to arrive at their intended destination.

Planes fall apart due to metal fatigue. It is a miracle this did not happen at sea. It is a miracle that no more were critically injured.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
The local news that I was watching said it came in too low and that the tail hit the sea wall while landing and that the nose was still up in the air.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
I haven't watched since about 7pm DST. The FBI had cordoned off the area and was waiting for FTSB to arrive and start collecting evidence. They are specifically interested in the recorder and black box.

One witness said he saw black smoke and the plane dropped fast before it hit the tarmac. When it did it spun in a circle and went off the runway.

It is amazing what a really good pilot can do in an emergency. I haven't heard anything about the condition of the pilot and crew.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Neither have I.

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to Anav
Listening to the ATC audio the pilot mentions no trouble upon approach. Now that doesn't mean something wasn't going on and he didn't have time to radio it in. Thankfully only a few were lost and not 200+.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
reply to Anav
Some talk now about about too slow on airspeed and too low altitude on approach (duh, the plane hit the sea wall). That could be pilot error or a speed indicator issue on the plane.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by PrntRhd:

That could be pilot error or a speed indicator issue on the plane.

Or a control issue with the engines not responding to the pilot calling for thrust (this is what happened on the Boing 777 at Heathrow).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
There were some on the plane reporting the plane was nose up at 45 degrees when it first hit and the engines were spooling up. More likely the pilot realized they were too low at the last few seconds.
I also found the automatic glide system at SFO is not currently operational, the feds wanted the runway landing spot reconfigured inland to minimize the possibility of end of runway touch downs and the system antennae are being moved to accomplish that. The airport was operating using visual flight rules today.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

Wake up people.

Welcome to the Nor Cal forum .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
said by Boricua:

said by Anav:

Wake up people.

Ha... so true, this place is usually pretty dead.

Anybody hear if it was the responders that ran over the two dead?
--

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
I haven't heard but did hear today on the news that 2 stewardesses were thrown from the rear of the plane but are alive.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Those stewardesses were "seriously injured" according to the BBC article I just read and according to another news source are still in critical condition.

The most interesting part of the article was a step by step chronology of the events prior to the crash based on what is know so far (including initial interviews of the pilots).

About 34 seconds before the impact the instructor noticed that the plane was flying too low and told the pilot at the controls to pull back. A few seconds later the instructor also noticed that the thrust control (which was on automatic) was not keeping the set air speed and about 8 seconds before impact the pilot pushes the thrust controls forward to speed up.

Up until now everything I had heard was implying pilot error (or even stating so outright) but this bit about the automatic thrust control throws open additional possibilities regarding cause or at least contributing factors. It may turn out to be a combination of technical issues after all (failure of the automatic thrust control causing the plane to fly too slow and descent faster then intended and the disabled glide path control system at the San Francisco airport not alerting the pilot of the problem).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Veloslave
said by Veloslave:

said by Boricua:

said by Anav:

Wake up people.

Ha... so true, this place is usually pretty dead.

Anybody hear if it was the responders that ran over the two dead?

It will be a week or two for the tests to come back on one body that may have been run over, the other body was on the other side of the fuselage and was not run over.