how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

devante

join:2013-07-06
Daphne, AL

General 4G questions/concerns

Hello all, newly registered here but have enjoyed the site for quite some time now.

I have had the misfortune of moving into an area with no DSL/cable support for the moment. In my research, I stumbled across Millenicom and decided to give it a shot to avoid pesky contracts. Due to some of the great reviews, I even thought it may suffice as a permanent solution. However, my experience thus far as been a little rocky, and I'd like to try to pinpoint the source of my problems.

I have the 4620LE Mifi (Millenicom 20GB/Verizon plan). My device gets usually in the range of -92 to -99 dBm with SINR that can range from 1dB to 10dB or so (I don't pretend to know what these mean, but I assume they are relevant to any troubles I may have).

Some nights I have pretty flawless performance. I can do whatever without much problem at all. Other nights, I have some difficulty when I first attempt connecting, but simply restarting the device and/or my wireless adapter on the PC fixes the problem.

The majority of nights, however, I am plagued with frequent disconnects/reconnects, at thirty second or so intervals. In simple browsing situations, this is usually no big deal, but I'm a frequent gamer and having extreme latency spikes at that frequency makes most games simply unplayable.

I have looked into antennas, and have no qualms with purchasing one should the general consensus be that it will fix my issues.

The firmware version of my device is 3.20.16.

So my questions to the community are:
1. Has anyone else has the difficulties I am describing, and have you fixed them?
2. Is this typical behavior for a device with the signal strengths I am getting? Am I on the threshold of sustainable connection?
3. Will an antenna solve this problem?

Thanks in advance! I figured while a 50%-70% signal isn't optimal (although I know that number is not as important as the dBs - and I'm not sure what it's based on), it certainly should give me stable if not stellar service.

Anyway, thanks again!

D

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
A SINR of 1db certainly can cause disconnects. That is about as bad as it gets. Ideally you want a constant SINR of 10 and above. The higher the better. A antenna should significantly improve it.

There are some that have had problems with the 4620 no matter what they've done. I, thankfully, have never had a problem with the device.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

devante

Daphne, AL
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, after I posted and did a little bit of research on SINR I saw how abysmal that number actually was.

As antennas go, does anyone have any specific suggestions? I noticed most have a dB rating - I am sure higher is better, but what does that number mean? Do they claim to increase your signal by that amount? Or is it something else?

Again, I appreciate the response.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1
Just don't be fooled by vendors on Ebay ( such as Cell Gear ) making inflated claims when in fact their antennas do nothing . Wait for members in here to give you suggestions with their real world results.
--
»www.maximumsignal.net/

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to devante
Do you have any idea how far you are from the tower your running off of,and what is in between you and said tower.

devante

Daphne, AL
I do not know how close I am to a tower, but I can see what I can find out. Luckily the land in my area is fairly flat with sparse patches of trees in various places. Are there any websites that log this sort of thing? I'll do some digging.

As antennas go, I'll wait for someone to suggest a specific antenna. I've read too many poor reviews to stick my neck out.

Thanks for all the responses!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by devante:

I do not know how close I am to a tower, but I can see what I can find out. Luckily the land in my area is fairly flat with sparse patches of trees in various places. Are there any websites that log this sort of thing? I'll do some digging.

As antennas go, I'll wait for someone to suggest a specific antenna. I've read too many poor reviews to stick my neck out.

Thanks for all the responses!

MAX SIGNAL will be able to advise you on what you need.

licklog

join:2006-06-14
Sevierville, TN
reply to devante
»antennasearch.com/ is the place to go to find the towers in your area. You will get a lot of good advice regarding any antenna purchases from the gurus here. I would offer that you spend $25-$30 on eBay to get a Pantech UML290 and swap you sim card into it. That alone will give you better performance (based on my humble experience and many posts of other users) since it has a much better internal antenna. Then you can look at what an antenna will give you.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
for price , performance and ease of installation - The best deal out there is the combination offered by Millenicom