Search similar:

uniqs

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

recommendations of things to do around DC and Baltimore?

Any recommendations of things to do and see around DC and Baltimore? A friend and I will be there for Otakon from August 7th - 13th. We left some extra time for sight seeing. I am aware of the usual stuff such as the Capitol, White House, Zoo, and Smithsonian. We are also looking for good restaurant recommendations (preferably not expensive!)

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

1 recommendation

Rxdoxx

I looked and it looks like Otakon (I had no idea what that was) is in Baltimore.

Baltimore has 3 areas for night activities/food.
Inner Harbor (touristy), Fell's Point (area wide), and a little further up Canton Square (more locals). Walk read the posted menus and decide price/venue.

DC is reachable weekdays via MARC train (commuter) From downtown Penn station to Union Station in DC may cost you $7
»mta.maryland.gov/schedul ··· ound.xls
$14 round trip, you'll pay far more than that in gas and parking.
Union Station Metro to Smithsonian rund about $5 round trip.

Others can probably give you more.... Baltimore does have the National Aquarium att the Inner Harbor, and can take water taxi
»www.baltimorewatertaxi.c ··· tes.aspx to Fort McHenry and Fells Point or Canton..
just have to watch return or it is a cab fare.
Fort McHenry Schedule
April 1st – Sept 30th:
Last Boat to the Fort: 3pm daily
Last Boat Departing the Fort: 5pm daily.
»www.baltimorewatertaxi.c ··· ons.aspx
all day riding ticket $12

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme

Besides Baltimore & Washington DC, there is also Annapolis, home of the Naval Academy and city tours.

A lovely place just north of NirvanaLand.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

grobinette to ilikeme

MVM,

to ilikeme
That's a good time to come, it is stinkin' hot and most of the politicians and tourists have left. Check out some of the stuff here for your trip to DC
»www.goldentriangledc.com/

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

1 edit

pike to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Depends what you're looking to do! There's no shortage of restaurants downtown, most pretty decent although they are touristy and a little overpriced. If you're looking for some cheaper but good eats and a little boutique shopping, you'll want the Adams-Morgan area (ask your cabbie to drop you at 18th & Columbia). For a little high end shopping and more gourmet-ish food, check out Georgetown (take the Circulator bus, or cab it to Wisconsin & M St). For the hipster and trendier restaurants and bars, head over to H St (walk from Union Station or cab to H St & 8th-ish). There's pretty much something for everyone along U St as well (take Metro or cab to 14th & U St).

Also, the Washington Monument is currently enveloped by scaffolding to repair the damage caused by the 2011 earthquake. It's a quite a sight and along with the decorative lighting makes for a unique photo opportunity. Be sure to make time to check it out after dark.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Rxdoxx

Premium Member

to Rxdoxx
said by Rxdoxx:

I looked and it looks like Otakon (I had no idea what that was) is in Baltimore.

Baltimore has 3 areas for night activities/food.
Inner Harbor (touristy), Fell's Point (area wide), and a little further up Canton Square (more locals). Walk read the posted menus and decide price/venue.

The hotel we will be staying at is just south of the inner harbor. It is a Hampton Inn in Glen Burnie, but we will mostly be in the inner harbor area for the con. Looking for places the locals would go to, not chains or over crowded tourist places (unless they are really good!)
ilikeme

ilikeme to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

Besides Baltimore & Washington DC, there is also Annapolis, home of the Naval Academy and city tours.

A lovely place just north of NirvanaLand.

I was thinking Annapolis would be one of the stops to see the academy at least.
ilikeme

ilikeme to pike

Premium Member

to pike
The Adams Morgan area sounds like it may be our kind of spot! We will actually be driving from Texas, so how is parking in that area? Would it be better/cheaper to leave the car at the hotel and take a cab or bus? We will be staying in Glen Burnie at the Hampton Inn.

The monument sounds like it will be an interesting sight to see, especially in its current state.

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx

Click for full size
Parking anywhere is messy.
Start with Smithsonian who has no parking, metered street can be $2.00/hr.
Adams Morgan when I would go to restaurants there ages ago was always an effort to find parking.... if your skills at parallel parking are not exceptional..... be aware that DC does ticket heavily for coming too close to a hydrant or the intersection curb, and especially if you have an non-DC license plate (they view it as free revenue stream to themselves)

From your reaction to Adams-Morgan, you should like Fells Point... walkable from the inner harbor but I wouldn't really recommend walking unless you are with a fun group, depending on your time and time of day, might be nice to water taxi over (or back) and walk/cab/bus the other way
»wikitravel.org/en/Baltim ··· ls_Point

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
The Spy Museum in DC is a must-see, IMO. If you have any relatives in the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps museum (in Quantico, about 30 min south of DC) is also a great place to go.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

Would it be better/cheaper to leave the car at the hotel and take a cab or bus?

Depends on how much you like walking. Parking in DC is not impossible but does require patience. And it's not cheap, but neither is the Metro or cabs for that matter.
said by Krisnatharok:

The Spy Museum in DC is a must-see, IMO.

The Spy Museum is fun but the $20 admission is a bit pricey. You can probably find cheaper tickets online if you think you may want to go.

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

1 recommendation

Tinkster to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Click for full size
lost of places to check out

Can go just about anywhere for free
I personally like Canton its away from the crowds and there are some really great places to eat. »www.baltimoreeats.com/guide.php

FYI if you park at Fleet and Eden garage on the weekends $3 all day parking.

$3 after 5 pm on weekdays, and $3/day on the weekends.
$130 monthly, $10 daily, $4 first hour for all day parking

(more info on garages, location, and prices here: »waterfrontpartnership.or ··· -parking)

and from there you can hit anything around the area with the free buses.

»www.charmcitycirculator. ··· schedule

Enjoy your stay!