join:2013-07-05
Stockton, CA

1 edit

bouchigo to mackey

to mackey

Re: How to wire my New Heat Pump to old Air Handler and Tstat

said by mackey:

Yes and yes.

However, I just checked the manual for your new thermostat and according to page 17, the "W1" terminal in the air handler should actually go to "W2" on the 'stat and the 'stat "W" and "Y" terminals should be tied together to your "Y" wire.

/M

So I did a new diagram; I moved things around to keep any lines from crossing, but I think this should do it...

EDIT (7/10/13):
The "O" in the diagram should be replaced with "B" since it energizes the reverse valve on call for heat, not cooling.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

You don't want to wire Y-W2-W1. Doing that, on a call for cooling, you're going to energize W1 (electric heat) at the air handler. Great for humidity control, but not very good for cooling the home. On a call for the heat pump, same thing. You will energize the electric heat. At the thermostat, put a jumper wire between Y and W. See page 17 in your thermostat manual. Also, make sure, on the thermostat, there is a jumper wire between Rc and Rh.
bouchigo
Stockton, CA

2 edits

bouchigo

Ok, I think I mis-read mackey's post.

So, all else being the same, I'm wiring W1 from the air handler to the W2 of the 'tstat, and jumpering W and Y on the 'tstat.

I already knew to jumper RC and RH, just wasn't too sure about the other part.

Like this:

Thanks

EDIT (7/10/13):
The "O" in the diagram should be replaced with "B" since it energizes the reverse valve on call for heat, not cooling.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member

Tex

Premium Member

That'll work.
bouchigo
Stockton, CA

bouchigo

Cool, thanks.
bouchigo

bouchigo

Just a side question that I've been meaning to ask, but this wiring diagram is telling me that there is no 24V transformer at the Heat Pump, and that everything is being run off of the 24V transformer on the Air Handler, right? At least I would think it would show the transformer in this diagram if there was one...

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by bouchigo:

Just a side question that I've been meaning to ask, but this wiring diagram is telling me that there is no 24V transformer at the Heat Pump, and that everything is being run off of the 24V transformer on the Air Handler, right?

Yup!

/M
bouchigo
Stockton, CA

2 edits

bouchigo

I've got it all wired up now, but the Heat Pump fan isn't spinning.

Any suggestions?

Note:
I should add that I had to replace the transformer because the Primary was open; the secondary was fine (reading about 1.2 ohms). It turns out the Yellow wire shorted to the Heat Pump chassis. I didn't do the wiring, I had an installer install it a few weeks ago, and I didn't really like the way he handled things, that's why I decided to do the wiring myself.

Anyway, now that the new transformer is installed, the Air Handler blower is turning on fine, but, as I mentioned, the Heat Pump fan isn't coming on.

I'm wondering if the Heat Pump circuit board got fried...

EDIT:
Nevermind, I figured it out. The blue and brown wires were hard to tell apart, so I mixed them up. After I flashed light on them at a certain angle I was able to tell them apart and connect them properly.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Edit: nvm, problem solved while I was writing this

/M
bouchigo
Stockton, CA

2 edits

bouchigo

I woke up this morning and the heat pump fan was still on, but the blower in the air handler was off.

It was doing this initially when the installer first installed it, that's one of the reasons I wanted to rewire everything.

I know when the installer installed it, it took him quite a few hours to figure out how to wire it because he was struggling to find what wire was what because conventional color code wasn't followed to begin with.

In that process I could hear the contactor engaging and disengaging quite a bit...could it be that the contactor was damaged somehow? I ask because it seems like the contactor is not disengaging, causing the heat pump to keep running, and the fan to stay on.

Before, when the heat pump fan would stay on, I would have to turn the switch to cool (starting from the off position), then back to off, and the heat pump fan would stop spinning.

I tried the same trick this morning, but the heat pump fan wasn't shutting off, so I just turned off the power going to the heat pump because I had to go to work and I didn't want to leave the fan running all day.

Also, it doesn't do this all the time; last night it was working fine, it will just do it randomly throughout the day...could it be the fan relay at the heat pump? Or the thermostat?

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Quick test: while it's doing this, pop the thermostat off the wall. If it stays running the problem is in the heat pump. If it shuts off immediately then the problem is probably the t-stat.

/M
bouchigo
Stockton, CA

1 edit

bouchigo

I'll try that.

I was thinking of just cutting the power to the air handler if it did it again, at least to eliminate the air handler, but now I also know how to test the Tstat.

Thanks
bouchigo

bouchigo

It did it again a few minutes ago.

It reached the set temp. and the fan on the heat pump was still running.

What I did was:

1) Turned off the power to the air handler and the fan on the HP was still spinning.

2) Turned the power back on and removed the Tstat, and the fan was still spinning.

3) I went to the HP and checked the status light, and it was solid red like it should be, not blinking out error codes.

4) I took the other end of my screwdriver and lightly banged the contactor. I heard the contactor release and the HP fan stopped spinning.

This means the contactor isn't working properly, right?

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Yup, contactor's sticking. A new one should be less then $50 (most likely around $25) at any heating or electrical supply house.

/M
bouchigo
Stockton, CA

1 edit

bouchigo

Cool, thanks for all the help and quick replies mackey, I really appreciate it.

This thing is brand new, and the contactor should be covered under warranty.

I'm having the A/C guy that installed it cover it under warranty.

EDIT:
Contactor replaced earlier this evening. Now I just have to monitor to see if it works correctly for the next few days.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member

Tex to bouchigo

Premium Member

to bouchigo
Yeah, I completely forgot about Rheem/Ruud. They are still the only manufacturer that energizes the reversing valve on a call for heat. Sorry about that.
bouchigo
Stockton, CA

bouchigo

No worries Tex; I had figured it out a few days ago, I just forgot to update the diagram.

I wanted to clear it up in case someone with a similar problem comes along and reads this thread.
bouchigo

bouchigo

Just wanted to chime and say that after monitoring my Heat Pump fan for the last 4 days or so, it has been working as it should (shutting off as it should) ever since the contactor was replaced; so, it was the contactor after all.